Register

Oops!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Oops!

Postby Wic » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:32 pm

I have managed to grate too much nutmeg into the bread sauce. There isn’t time to make another batch. If I add some extra cream would that help? Other than that, any ideas?

Re: Oops!

Postby Seatallan » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:47 pm

I think the addition of extra cream will probably do the trick. As it happens, I like a bit of a nutmeg hit. Sure it'll be lovely. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi Wic - in my experience it can be difficult to correct over-nutmegging if it's by a lot- it's such a strong deep flavour. You could try adding extra cream - probably your best shot short of making another batch or at least adding a little more to the batch you've made without adding more nutmeg, if that makes sense - basically like making a little to the overall amount more without starting over from scratch. Depends how much too much nutmeg you added.
Last edited by ZeroCook on Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:55 pm

How much too much? More cream would dilute it if it's not much but also make it runnier.

I can only think of adding more of the other ingredients if you have them but if it's way too much nutmeg you could end up with masses (and you've suggested that time is at a premium). I looked online and there are also various herbs/spices you can add to counteract nutmeg - but I don't think any would work in bread sauce.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:57 pm

My DS1 is an excellent cook and mass caterer for the family but his bread sauce tastes like Ready Brek because he’s mean with the nutmeg.

No help, sorry!

Postby Suelle » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:29 pm

What tastes too much on its own may not be too bad when it's eaten with turkey, gravy and everything else.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:31 pm

why don't you add extra cream to some of it, rather than the whole lot? Assuming you then have enough for your meal.

I am a nutmeg freak, so find it hard to imagine how much is too much!

Or, maybe make some thickish bechamel and mix that in? Then it wouldn't get too runny?

And Suelle makes a good point

Postby Wic » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:58 pm

Thank you all, that’s helpful. I love nutmeg, and didn’t think you could overdo it, but possibly you shouldn’t be chatting whilst grating …

I’ve taken a bit out and added some cream - it helps! It’s still a bit strong, and maybe I’ll be the only person eating it, but if they don’t it’s their loss.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:55 pm

KC2s suggestion of a bit of added bechamel is a good - easy enough to let the milk steep for a few minutes with a little onion and bay leaf. I like nutmeg a lot but the volatile oils are overpowering if overdone. Been there n dunnit! 8-)

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:02 am

Jane Grigson says "If it seems on the thin side – bread sauce should not spread very much when put on to a plate – add more crumbs. If it seems so firm that a spoon stands up in it, add a little more milk"

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:45 am

Sounds about right, Zero.
I was going to suggest adding more bread.

I had an almost disaster too.
Make ahead red cabbage yesterday, I decided to use apple vinegar. And it tasted muddy musty almost. An ugly unpleasantness to it.

So at 5am this morning I've strained that liquor off.
And poured in a honey and cab sauvignon vinegar syrup I've had on the hob for 5 mins - splutter.
It tastes just right again, just a tad weaker that only I'll notice I hope. Phew!

Postby Wic » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!

I was up early, too, making bread. Not quite as early as you, though, Gill. That was good thinking to strain it and rejig the whole thing, and I always think that if you don’t tell people that something has gone wrong, for the most part they won’t notice.

The bread sauce, by the way, was fine, the cream did the trick, and once it was heated it was just slightly strong, though more runny than usual. No-one noticed!

The béchamel would have been good, too, I think, but I was, at the time, running around like a one-armed paper hanger, so needed a quick fix.

Thanks, all!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:23 pm

Well done, disaster averted.
I almost had another one. Our oven isn't that easy to use = the symbols aren't that clear. For example, the oven icon that looks like a fan is actually defrost.

So yes, I've had the turkey on defrost but only for 1hr, until I had a twitchy :idea: moment and checked the manual.

I use it so rarely, even after 18mths here, I'm still not sure with it.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:27 pm

I had a nasty moment earlier when it looked as if goose was going to be too long to fit in our oven. Thankfully, it (just) squeezed in (hopefully it'll reduce in size a bit as it cooks). I do wish modern fitted kitchen ovens were a tad bigger. Our old freestanding oven was significantly roomier.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Re: Oops

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:04 pm

He’s off his food. I wish he’d warned me first. We have another dilemma tomorrow as I’m driving mum home and he will have to be left on his own all morning.

I’m off to bed soon. Hopefully I can persuade him to do likewise.

Re: Oops

Postby Rainbow » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:26 am

Pepper Pig wrote:He’s off his food. I wish he’d warned me first. We have another dilemma tomorrow as I’m driving mum home and he will have to be left on his own all morning.

Could you take him with you, or would that just cause more problems?
Or drop him off at one of your offspring's places (you seem to have a few nearby, I think!) and pick him up on your way home?
Hope you have a good day whatever you decide to do :newhuggy

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:15 am

He won’t come, full stop. Says he is too sick. My sister is going to pop in, walk the dog and make him a cuppa. All sorted thanks.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:53 am

Glad the cream worked, Wic!

Oh no Gill! Glad you caught the defrost icon in time! :shock: :D

Seatallen - phew ! goose cooked!

Hey folks - all well that ends well!

My mishap was making brioche buns on the eve, and mixing dough with 70g of sugar instead of 7g - oops! :lol: Ditched the dough, stashed it in a bowl and made another batch no prob. The ditched dough became panettone overnight with added brandy soaked raisins and was baked after a long prove in a panettone case. :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:40 am

Brilliant improvisation, zerocook!

Glad everyone else mishaps turned out ok - I've been reading in the news of power cuts and rotten turkeys, neither of which one wants on Christmas Day!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:51 am

Nice recovery, Zero.

Rotten turkeys happened a couple of years ago - was it Tesco deliveries?
I got a Donald Russell one direct from the farm.
And am now being inundated with catalogues through the post.

Today should be plain sailing. With just plating up cold stuff.

Got a new chapatti maker, thank you Tony. So the turkey curry will be in good company hopefully.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox