Register

Christmas Breakfast

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Christmas Breakfast

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:41 pm

We will have almond croissants and coffee whilst opening stockings. Then smoked salmon and scrambled eggs after present unwrapping.

Then nothing until some canapé bits and pieces at my parents mid afternoon which is our starter.

Father Christmas usually puts some Ferrero Rocher in my stocking :crossed so I will probably eat a few of those throughout the morning. I do hope he doesn’t forget those :D

Postby Amyw » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Ah the white chocolate and coconut ones are the best !!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:59 pm

Amyw wrote:Ah the white chocolate and coconut ones are the best !!

Whaaaat??? Blasphemy!

He’d better not put any of those in my stocking! Regular ones for me, please :lol: :tongueout

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:23 pm

Amyw wrote:Ah the white chocolate and coconut ones are the best !!

:thumbsup :yum

Postby aero280 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:34 pm

I may be having breakfast alone :(

Not only is OH likely to be at midnight mass, she also seems to have a morning service to sing at. Probably too early for me, so I shall get up when I feel like it. OH will then come home and go back to bed to catch up on sleep. So, as usual it looks as if Christmas dinner will be around tea time! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:06 am

A friend made gravadlax a good while back … must be 20 years ago! … it was wonderful … I’m pretty sure he said it was an overnight cure … I suspect he had some guidance … his wife worked front of house at the wonderful Adlards in Norwich, where Tom Kerridge was Head Chef.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:57 am

Smoked mackerel is good, Gill. Not as delicate as salmon. If you serve the salmon/seafood along with the eggs, not cooked in them, the mackerel might benefit from a touch of something slightly tart with it. Smoked eel is fabulous as mentioned, as is smoked trout. Mind you, Ive never met a smoked fish or shellfish I didn't love :D Gravadlux can be lovely. Do you remember which recipe you used? Might give a clue to the saltiness.

On gravadlax for any one interested ... I'm a fan of the 1960's Time Life Cooking of the World Series - they had food writers of the day author them. They're of the Julia Child and Elizabeth David era and they really went to a lot of trouble to get the dishes and recipes just right. The one on provincial French cooking is by MFK Fisher for e.g. The Food of Scandinavia (along with the food of Japan) is one of my favourites and I use it a fair bit. Good/interesting read, too. My only attempt at gravadlux or gravlax, which was good. All the measurements are American so need converting. Both 1/4 cup coarse salt and sugar are both 50g each. Could definitely scale it down, too - a quarter would be about 300 - 350g or so of salmon.
You'll need to register to read the full version.
https://archive.org/details/cookingofsc ... ew=theater
Gravlax on page 26

Postby Kacey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm

As calories don't count at Christmas, it's either the best croissants I can find as OH loves them, or a toasted doorstep of sourdough bread with half a tonne of melted cheese on the top!

OH will then eat a whole net bag of chocolate coins whilst opening his presents. We have our Christmas lunch/dinner at around 4 or 5pm, so a good breakfast and some special nibbles are needed.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:03 pm

I’m going to friends this year so it’s traditionally smoked salmon, scrambled eggs on Tiger bread with a bubble or two to wash it down. If I was on my own it would probably be porridge, egg on toast or a cinnamon and raisin bagel with cream cheese depending on the weather or what I felt like when I got up.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Amyw » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:43 pm

We normally eat about 2pm, but I never really eat much for breakfast . I normally just graze on a few bits in the morning . I think if we are later , my breakfast would probably be a messy, greasy, delicious bacon and egg roll

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:48 am

Thanks for the link, Zero. Looks good.
And no, I cannot remember the recipe, but have found an old thread where I've referred to an unpleasantly brined recipe from the Beeb Board.

I also say I've tried a Felicity Cloake one with gin, that was successful, but I've no recollection.

So I've decided - gravadlax it is to be.

Sorry, I won't be making eel, it's just a bit too different for us to try - although it's a delicious meal in green sauce in Belgium.
I'd certainly try it in a restaurant.

So enjoy all your croissants, butties, coffees
and those Ferrero Rochers & chocolate coins!

Postby Suffs » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:18 am

Simply superb smoked eel to be had from Pinneys

https://www.pinneysoforford.co.uk/produ ... liced-eel/

Smoked trout too … fabulous kippers and smoked mackerel, cods roe …. :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:58 am

You don’t do anything with smoked eel except plate it with any accompaniments you fancy - lemon, horseradish cream, watercress, brown bread and butter

Too good and too delicate to actually make anything

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:00 am

I did go back and check, the gravadlax recipe that worked well for me is from Falling Cloudberries.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:21 am

Thought it might be interesting to compare recipes - two have more sugar than salt, two, same sugar to salt, Dale Brown, least
Finnish mustard/cream sauce looks good.
I'd probably reduce sugar ...
Or Frankfurter sauce?

Gin gravlax ... - Hairy Bikers recipe with muscadavo sugar ... dunno

Felicity Cloake
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... mon-recipe

Hairy Bikers plain no gin
https://www.tfrecipes.com/hairy-bikers-gravlax/

Tessa Kiros Falling Cloudberries
https://archive.org/details/fallingclou ... 6/mode/1up

Dale Brown Time Life

edited to show links
Last edited by ZeroCook on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:02 am

I’m going to be a grump here. By photocopying and pasting like that you are still breaking copyright rules. The board could get into trouble. Please be careful. (It was the bane of my life when I was a music teacher).

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:05 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I’m going to be a grump here. By photocopying and pasting like that you are still breaking copyright rules. The board could get into trouble. Please be careful. (It was the bane of my life when I was a music teacher).

Both are screenshots from online library books, both published in the US and as far as I understand come under fair use rules esp for non commercial use. Happy to edit out if there's an issue.

edited to add: Done: links added

Looking thru Cloudberries (actually for something for a wintry supper), nice platter/plate ideas for serving salmon or gravlax with bits including salmon roe which I heart
https://archive.org/details/fallingclou ... 2/mode/1up

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:35 am

I'm curious about the Finnish mustard too.
Thanks for the links, Zero.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:48 am

I have a feeling that IKEA sell a similar kind of sauce (??). Would prefer to make it though!

Postby Suffs » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:06 am

We have made a decision ... OH will make his usual porridge first thing ... I will have coffee .... we will have a brunch of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs later with either toast or pancakes (if I've made some and put them in the freezer) and we hope to sit down to our main meal around 5.30 but it might be later ... depending on DS's work ...

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox