Register

Christmas Breakfast

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Christmas Breakfast

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:51 am

aero280 wrote: smoked salmon trimmings

Trimmings are excellent for smoked salmon risottos.

Postby Suffs » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:26 pm

... and with pasta ...

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Anyone successfully "made" gravadlax?

I tried and it was dead salty, like seawater. In an unpleasant way (think it was a Rambo method).

Postby Suelle » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:45 pm

If I wanted a special breakfast, in the fishy area, I'd source some smoked eel. Even the best smoked salmon can't beat it for flavour.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:46 pm

Oooh me too Suelle. It's scrumptious.

Postby liketocook » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:54 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Anyone successfully "made" gravadlax?

I tried and it was dead salty, like seawater. In an unpleasant way (think it was a Rambo method).

Yes using this recipe https://www.recipetineats.com/cured-sal ... b46a4IflaQ curing for around 36 hours. The second time I made it I added double the amount of dill as we felt the dill flavour wasn't strong enough. Make sure you use rock salt rather flaked salt or it will be too salty. Leftovers freeze well.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:05 pm

We usually walk on Christmas morning, fortified by porridge with demerara, cream and a capful of whisky!

Postby aero280 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:17 pm

While OH was away singing at the weekend, I made myself a smoked salmon and cream cheese (well, Philadelphia…) omelette. It was delicious with a watercress salad as accompaniment.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Suelle wrote:If I wanted a special breakfast, in the fishy area, I'd source some smoked eel. Even the best smoked salmon can't beat it for flavour.

I'm with you there - it can't be beaten!
I lurve smoked eel :yum you just don't see it too often but now you have given me an idea for Christmas.
We don't really do anything special for crimbo morning but might have a festive brunch later on - it depends on what time we're having the dinner - I couldn't manage much before.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:54 pm

We've never had a special breakfast at Christmas. Just toast or something. Back in the day we ate at 1pm so the morning was always a flurry of cooking, coffee and biscuits and drinks as the morning went on then the day could really begin after the washing up and Queen :lol:. Although we had treats, we never had groaning plates before I met ex OH so there was always room for a slice of Christmas cake for tea and leftovers for supper. I don't think I've ever had a very 'adult' Christmas!

If DD is here we treat ourselves to a good unsliced white loaf and have thick slices with butter, jam, marmalade and nice cheese - because it's Christmas and we can!

I agree that in civilised company or as a couple, smoked salmon and scrambled egg and a few glasses of something would make a delightful brunch if you are having your Christmas celebratory meal in the evening.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:11 pm

WWordsworth wrote:We usually walk on Christmas morning, fortified by porridge with demerara, cream and a capful of whisky!

That's my favourite way to eat it (minus the whisky.)

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 pm

We always have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. I have suggested once or twice that we should try something different but the thirty somethings won’t entertain the idea.
They also have very fixed ideas on the turkey/gammon combo for later in the day. I suppose it means they really enjoyed it all when growing up.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:47 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Oooh me too Suelle. It's scrumptious.

Yummy!!! :yum

Just thinking- another possible Christmas brek for me would be crab fritters....
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:35 pm

Seatallan wrote:Just thinking- another possible Christmas brek for me would be crab fritters..

The big problem with that Sea is crab is very much out of season right now......... how I miss it so :cry:

Postby scullion » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:43 pm

i thought christmas breakfast consisted of the tangerine, nuts, chocolate balls and chocolate coins that father christmas leaves in the stocking (sock)!
we, too, have never had a christmas breakfast tradition. i rarely have breakfast on an ordinary eating day let alone one that is full of overeating potential.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:51 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
Seatallan wrote:Just thinking- another possible Christmas brek for me would be crab fritters..

The big problem with that Sea is crab is very much out of season right now......... how I miss it so :cry:

I was thinking along the lines of one of those frozen packs of half white & half brown meat. But yes- fresh crab would be wonderful wouldn't it? :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:22 pm

I made gravadlax once for a New Year starter and it was very successful. Can't remember the recipe, perhaps there's one in Falling Cloudberries, if so it would have been that. There's definitely a salmon ceviche recipe in there. Otherwise it would have been online.

I love smoked eel, but as with jellied and stewed it's now a very occasional treat. Another favourite is smoked halibut, Gigha smoked halibut is wonderful.

Christmas breakfast used to be a bacon and goose liver sandwich. If we were instead having turkey, Boxing day would start with bread and turkey dripping. :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:28 pm

I've made gravadlax twice - at least 20 or 25 years ago. First time was absolutely delicious, 2nd time not at all, never tried again!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Gravadlax comes in little packets from the freezer in the Ikea basement, no? :lol:

I do like their dill mustard sauce in jars, it's nicer than some I've had in fancy bistros

Postby liketocook » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:38 pm

The IKEA mustard dill sauce is gorgeous, we bought some to go with the homemade gravadlax :yum

WG - my lot are just the same for the main event, if turkey all the trimmings and an ocean of gravy didn't feature there would be a mutiny unless it was unavoidable. :lol: As for the requisite mountain of pigs in blankets I dread to think of the carnage if those didn't feature. :lol: Even Greek DIL-to-be is a convert! DS1 has already checked if everything is in hand and did I want him to bring croissants from a local bakery on Christmas Eve. I did wonder if they might forego breakfast here as seeing their Dad in the morning but no apparently some things are sacred (and he probably won't offer food!).

KC2 - you should give it another go, I think the trick is not to over cure it. DS1 made some pretty inedible stuff that had been cured for 48 hours and I'd rather have eaten my shoe! He ended up treating it like salt cod and soaking for ages then cooking it which was better but still not wonderful.

Gill it struck me after I posted that if you didn't want to risk a whole side of salmon or deal with the remainder, rainbow trout cures very well if you can get it. It needs a much shorter cure just overnight/12 hours (the side I cured would have been around 1lb weight so if smaller or very thin it will need less time). In the link I posted I replaced the dill with grated lemon zest. I don't know how well it keeps as there were no leftovers.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox