Register

Have you ever made an apple batter pudding?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Have you ever made an apple batter pudding?

Postby Youngerberry » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:39 pm

I'm told they used to be popular in the past, but I've never had one. We don't tend to do much with batter in the oven in the UK, other than Yorkshire Puddings and Toad in the Hole, so I'm interested in what else baked batter can be used for, and this sounds like a promising start, especially since I've got a glut of apples from the garden right now. I'm assume my cooking apples won't be much use though, since they'd water down the batter. Or is it OK if I stew them down first?

Re: Have you ever made an apple batter pudding?

Postby Suelle » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Apple Batter (as it was known in our childhood home) was a staple dessert from my Yorkshire-born mother. We ate it with a knob of butter to melt over it (margarine really, but.....) and a sprinkling of crunchy demerara sugar.

You really need eating apples which will hold their shape and not release too much liquid, or the batter might be diluted and not bake properly. I don't think any pre-cooking is necessary. Any fruit which doesn't release too much juice as it cooks would work too - plums, pears, well drained tinned fruit, plumped up dried fruit etc

The concept of batter puddings seems to be covered better by the French, with clafoutis, although I think that is denser (because the batter is thicker in depth when baked) and richer.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Pancakes here.

Postby Suffs » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Ma used to make fruit batter puddings in the Rayburn oven ... favourite was chunks of rhubarb roasted in a little butter in the oven for a few minutes until beginning to soften, then the batter poured on and sprinkled with dark muscavado sugar ........... heaven :yum

Postby Youngerberry » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:54 pm

Suelle wrote:
The concept of batter puddings seems to be covered better by the French, with clafoutis, although I think that is denser (because the batter is thicker in depth when baked) and richer.

Thanks Suelle, very interesting, I've not heard about clafoutis before. It looks more like a set custard in the photos I've just seen.

Postby Suelle » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:13 pm

Youngerberry wrote:
Suelle wrote:

Thanks Suelle, very interesting, I've not heard about clafoutis before. It looks more like a set custard in the photos I've just seen.

Recipes seem to vary a lot, but I think there's enough flour to call it a batter rather than a custard. I think it looks more like a custard because the batter is deeper than for a Yorkshire pudding batter - and that affects the texture too, of course.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Uschi » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:40 pm

In Germany it is pancakes or deep fried apple rings (either apple rings covered in batter or something like a "cruller".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruller

The former rings are eaten with a cider sauce, if I recall, but custard may do as well.
Oh, and we often sprinkle anything apply-battery with cinnamon and sugar, too.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:24 am

We used to have apple or pineapple fritters for a naughty treat...

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:16 am

We have clafoutis with rhubarb and with gooseberries. I really ought to do one with apples. :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:03 pm

Suelle wrote:
Youngerberry wrote:

Recipes seem to vary a lot, but I think there's enough flour to call it a batter rather than a custard. I think it looks more like a custard because the batter is deeper than for a Yorkshire pudding batter - and that affects the texture too, of course.

I have had clafoutis just once in France and didn't like it much, but I think the one I had was typical
It is not intended to puff up like a Yorkshire pudding and the fruit is expected to leak a lot of juice so the middle does stay soft and a little bit custardy, which fits recipes I have seen, I prefer mine more cooked

I've several times come across references to English saucer batter puddings, this one fro Tewkesbuey saucer batters looks plausible
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/tewkesb ... atters.htm

Postby Youngerberry » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I've several times come across references to English saucer batter puddings, this one fro Tewkesbuey saucer batters looks plausible
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/tewkesb ... atters.htm

Thanks for that, so it looks like the main feature of the recipe is that the whites are whisked and folded in?

I tried to google for an image, and got what looked like a sponge cake. There were also photos of several other region's saucer batters.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox