Register

Bundt tin advice

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Bundt tin advice

Postby Binky » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:22 pm

We have a bundt tin which has never been used. I think it came with a leaflet explaining how to use it but it's been mislaid.

I need to know how we should convert cake recipes for use in such a tin.

I have filled it with water and it takes one and half litres.

Re: Bundt tin advice

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:37 pm

I have never seen a flat "Gugelhupf" tin before. What diameter (roughly) has it?

Postby Binky » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:56 pm

12 and a half inches (31cm?)

Postby Suelle » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:16 pm

You can work out the volume of a cylinder (ie a standard round cake) here:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/cylinder-volume

Remember that you won't want to fill your cake tin, whether it's round or a bundt, more than 2/3 full to allow for the rise - so you probably want a cake mixture that totals about 1 litre when mixed.

After playing about with the calculator in the link, I think you should start with a cake mix which is designed for a 7" (18cm) diameter tin (or 2 x 7" sandwich tins). I don't think that will be too big, and if it's too small you can scale up next time.

It also looks a very shallow tin, so the baking time may be quicker than a deep cake in a smaller diameter baking tin, even if the amount of mixture is the same.

Do you need suggestions for greasing the tin - bundts can be tricky? I use a homemade cake release paste, first suggested by Nancy Birtwhistle a GBBO winner. It's equal parts of Trex (white hard vegetable fat), plain flour and vegetable oil.

I made up a small batch, using 50g of each of Trex and flour, and 50mls of sunflower oil, which is enough for several cakes. It keeps in a jar in the fridge until the shortest 'best before' date of the products you've used (or use your nose - fat that has gone rancid won't smell very good). Warm up to room temperature before use, then brush onto the bundt tin with a pastry brush.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:26 pm

I agree about the baking time ... probably close to a deep traybake.

As the "pattern" is not too edgy and fine, I would just use soft butter or margarine to line it and dried breadcrumbs

Postby herbidacious » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:02 pm

I should book mark this I would. I remember having to do loads of research and not ending up feeling very confident whenever I use my Nordicware ones. (Not often.) I probably just compared Nordicware recipes to ones I had though in terms of quanities ingredients, in the end.

I bought some of that cake release spray to use with mine as they are quite intricate.

Postby mark111757 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:01 pm

mark111757 wrote:https://blog.williams-sonoma.com/how-to-bake-a-cake-in-a-bundt-pan/

Ah, I thought there was an article like that on the Nordicware site but I couldn’t find it :thumbsup

Postby Suelle » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:56 pm

herbidacious wrote:
I bought some of that cake release spray to use with mine as they are quite intricate.

I started making my own paste when I could no longer find the spray in supermarkets - about 3-4 years ago, so nothing to do with Covid or Brexit. I think you can buy it online, but unless you are an avid baker, buying other things too, the postage costs makes it too expensive.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Making your own also saves using an aerosol spray

Postby herbidacious » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Mine isn't in an aerosol can. Just a pump action plastic b ottle- I think being able to spray it is part of the appeal when it's an intricate bundt tin? That said, I think last time, as it was a birthday cake for someone, that was my extra back up i.e. in addition to butter. I really can't remember though, it was such a long time ago. (It was a cake for colleagues.)

My main issue with buying cake release stuff is that I make cakes so rarely, I worry about it going off.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:22 am

This from King Arthur Flour's baking website:
(scroll down past the recipe specifics)
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2 ... t-pan-size

1 cup = 240 ml

Binky's 1500ml measurement = + - 6 cups, so it's a 6 cup bundt pan. The size designation is the full volume, but the cake mix volume is calculated by filling with water to 1-1.5 inches below the rim and measuring that. Look for recipes for 6 cup bundt pans or fill with cake mixture to 1-1.5 inches from the top.

Postby Binky » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:25 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.
This from King Arthur Flour's baking website:
(scroll down past the recipe specifics)
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2 ... t-pan-size

1 cup = 240 ml

Binky's 1500ml measurement = + - 6 cups, so it's a 6 cup bundt pan. The size designation is the full volume, but the cake mix volume is calculated by filling with water to 1-1.5 inches below the rim and measuring that. Look for recipes for 6 cup bundt pans or fill with cake mixture to 1-1.5 inches from the top.

That's useful and practical advice. :thumbsup

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox