Register

Stuffings

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Stuffings

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:49 pm

Perhaps my favourite part of a Christmas dinner, be it sage and onion or lemon parsley and thyme.

But this year, I thought I'd try something less traditional (although what, I ask, is wrong with traditional?)
I used to have a Women's institute book with some wonderful varieties - lovely celery stuffing recipe and an apricot one.

Suggestions please?

Re: Stuffings

Postby Uschi » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:18 pm

Over here geese are often stuffed with apples and chestnuts, sometimes with prunes or other dried fruit, too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:38 pm

The best stuffing i have ever had was a mashed potato based one cooked inside a turkey

It was a family secret, but I reckon this is the basis, though I think the version I had contained no sage, but did contain a little garlic, and maybe some other spices such as fennel seed )the cook was Goan)

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side ... ffing.html

A friend used to mix buttery mash half and half with made up Paxo and bake it in a shallow dish, Surprisingly good, lots of crispy bits on top

Postby Busybee » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:20 pm

I’m having a mental block re that recipe Sue, what is the measurement ‘c’ ? 10c of potato 1.5c of butter.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:39 pm

Cups BB!
Measuring cups

Postby Suelle » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:06 am

The stuffing of my childhood was Paxo mixed with sausage meat.

Consequently, I usually base my festive stuffing on pimped-up sausage meat these days. Not that I stuff a bird, but we like stuffing balls, and stuffing wrapped in bacon. I usually mix in breadcrumbs, herbs, spices and dried or fresh fruit.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby halfateabag » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:31 am

I like the sound of that Suelle. Will deffo try that this Crimbo. My Mum used to make her own stuffing with bread crumbs, suet, chopped onion and herbs. Mixed with an egg and spread into a tray and baked in the oven.

Postby Busybee » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:36 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Cups BB!
Measuring cups

Thank you! I saw it straight away this morning but my tired brain couldn’t work it out last night.

BB

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:55 pm

Our usual Christmas stuffing is also sausage meat with some breadcrumbs, sage & onions, made into stuffing balls. Often I start with herby sausagemeat. I've used dried fruit, chestnuts and celery in stuffing before, in addition to herbs and onions. At one time I stuffed the goose itself but that meant lots of slightly greasy stuffing. The most successful of those was probably champ. It was OK on the day but made the best bubble & squeak ever for Boxing day. :D

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:16 pm

I’ve tried various stuffings but I always go back to Paxo’s sage and onion, it’s a childhood thing and I’ve never found anything to beat it. I prefer it stuffed inside the bird which in our house was always chicken as none of us were turkey lover’s. It would be fair to say that the majority of the American versions of stuffing just doesn’t “float my boat” :lol:

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby mark111757 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:20 pm

For me you gotta have sage or poultry seasoning. When I was at the store the recipe they used called for herbes de province. To me not gutsy enough, not enough of a flavour punch.

Bells products. https://bellsfoods.com/?
That IS seasoning. Also used in the cornell BBQ sauce recipe vinegar and oil based)

http://yates.cce.cornell.edu/resources/ ... -barbecues

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox