Register

Apples

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Apples

Postby Wic » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:17 pm

It hasn’t happened yet, but a glut of Bramleys is imminent here. I’m not complaining, by the way, and neither are my neighbours and friends!

The apples get used in all sorts of ways and it occurred to me that I’d never seen a recipe for a cake, like a Victoria sandwich, with a stewed apple filling, rather than jam. I think the apple would have to be drier than the usual stewed apple, and the cake would have to have a layer of cream above and below the apple, but it might work. Has anyone ever done this? I can’t find a recipe, so maybe it’s not a feasible proposition.

Re: Apples

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:29 pm

I think apple butter would make a great cake filling?

But agree that variations on apple sauce would need some kind of starchy thickener, like canned pie filling, and it would maybestill be wet enough to make the cake soggy

Postby Suelle » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:40 pm

I've found a few recipes using eating apples in the filing for a sponge sandwich cake, but as the pieces or slices hold their shape, once drained after cooking they wouldn't be as sloppy as cooked Bramley apples.

Here's one, with caramelised apples https://theusualingredients.wordpress.c ... e-filling/

Bramleys might be worth trying - I saw one recipe which thickened the cooked apples with cornflour - but they don't have a lot of flavour compared to berry jam or something like lemon curd. You could use the cream as a border around the edge of the bottom cake, to hold in the apples.

This recipe is the one I saw which used cornflour in the apple sauce, but it doesn't look very appetising to me - definitely needs some cream! https://eatsmarter.com/recipes/sponge-c ... ce-filling.

There seem to be lots of recipes with grated apple in the cake mixture, but again, they tend to use eating apples
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:16 pm

This is a fantastic recipe - originally on BBC Good Food, but that link doesn't work any more. Good old Mumsnet!!
https://www.mumsnet.com/food/recipe/227 ... apple-cake

Postby Wic » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:33 pm

Both really good ideas. A Caramelised apple filling sounds perfect, Suelle! I put the recipe into CopyMeThat immediately.

We often make apple butter, Sue, and that would work, too. I think I was too fixated on the thought that stewed apple and cream go really well together, but it probably needs too much faffing about to make it work well.

I make cakes for a weekly local community afternoon tea session, and need to expand my repertoire a bit, I’m getting bored with my usuals. However, the clientele are quite exacting. It has to be a proper cake, preferably with a filling and icing, there always needs to be a chocolate one, a coffee and walnut and a Victoria sponge or a lemon drizzle. Anything else has to take it’s chances, but if someone tries it and likes it, then it’s accepted. I sneaked a ginger cake in, and that’s OK.

Postby Wic » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Thank you KeenCook - I’m really glad I asked the question, the answers are really useful.

I’ve tried various versions of Devon Apple cake, and others with apples in the batter, but they never seem very exciting. Maybe that’s just me, but yours, however, could work well for me.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Yes, I always come back to that one, Wic. Other recipes never seem to quite get it right!

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:43 am

-------cut ----'
Last edited by ZeroCook on Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby janetmw » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:18 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:This is a fantastic recipe - originally on BBC Good Food, but that link doesn't work any more. Good old Mumsnet!!

You can get to a copy of the original recipe here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130317230 ... apple-cake

Janet
Janet

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:25 pm

Thanks, Janet, I had no idea such an archive existed. I noticed my printout was from March 2010 but the recipe has evidently been around a lot longer!

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:51 am

KeenCook2 wrote:This is a fantastic recipe - originally on BBC Good Food, but that link doesn't work any more. Good old Mumsnet!!

I can second this one. I also found it on Good Food. Everyone loves it.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:53 am

And thank you KC2 for the link. Great to have it again!

Postby Wic » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:46 am

Well. I thought I’d try out both of the apple methods suggested before I commit to a cake, and had a go with the caramelised one this morning while I was cooking up a batch of our tomatoes. I cut a Bramley windfall into small cubes and caramelised it, as per the recipe. Really good. It’s not too sweet, probably because of it being a Bramley, but wow. My husband, who doesn’t have a sweet tooth at all, tried a large spoonful and has since had more and suggested it would be good on toast, on porridge, on scones …

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:07 pm

In the new Good Housekeeping there is a nice recipe for Blackberry, Apple and Lancashire Cheese cake.
Not sure what the rules are on sharing it with you ...
It's on p 158 if you happen to be in a newsagent and want to take a quick look to get the feel of it.

Postby Wic » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:56 pm

Thank you - I can get GH on my library app, I’ll take a look!

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:36 am

that looks like a good recipe - especially with apple season coming up.
(we are still eating the dried apple rings from last year).

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox