Register

Piccalilli

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Piccalilli

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:30 pm

When i was a chutney maker, i made this by the bucketful - well humongous panful. I have no desire to make that again, but willing to experiment with new methods, ingredients, recipes etc.
What's everyone's recipes for a small batch please?

Re: Piccalilli

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:49 pm

Last time I made it (a while ago) I used this recipe and it seemed to go well, so it’s the one I’m using this year too
https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pams-piccalilli

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:58 pm

That was the one i tried a year ago.. glad it has your endorsement

Postby Uschi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:42 am

I know it is a stupid question, but since we don't have picallilli here ... once opened and kept in the fridge, has it got a similar shelf life to, say pickles?

Thanks in advance. :hi5:

Postby Seatallan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm

It'll go on for yonks Uschi. I don't even bother keeping it in the fridge (I keep all our pickles and chutneys in cupboards in our garage- works like an old fashioned larder).

Sloe, I always use Delia's recipe from Complete Cookery (have done for years) though the River Cottage recipe looks lovely too. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:02 pm

I'm not so keen on Delia's recipe as she par-cooks the veg ... I prefer Pam Corbin's method where the veg are just cut up and left in salt overnight, then rinsed and mixed with the hot piccalilli sauce and put into jars. The veg stays lovely and crunchy, just as I like it.

Piccalilli and Cucumber Relish Sept '21.jpg
Piccalilli and Cucumber Relish Sept '21.jpg (58.81 KiB) Viewed 1645 times

By the say, the florist who did my DIL's bouquet is called Pick-a-Lily ............ like it 8-)

Postby Seatallan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:12 pm

I shall try that version next time I make piccalilli Suffs (though I do like the Delia version as do Mr S's Yorkshire family, which I always take as a great compliment :thumbsup ). Pics making my mouth water.... :yum

We had some of mine with our tea last night as it happens, along with some of my cucumber relish and green tomato chutney. So lovely with left-over roast meat, salad and baked spuds.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Uschi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:32 pm

Thanks!!! I may try it out, then.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 pm

I made it in vast quantities from Mum's old recipe and the veg was par boiled. I now prefer the more modern method of adding the raw veg to the hot liquor and I also like the addition of peppers, cumin and coriander.
Am now in the same predicament as suffs; no yellow mustard seeds. Chuck any spare my way please, suffs. :D

ETA I want on a course in 2019 to learn to make hot water pastry and proper pork pies. We also made piccalilli the River cottage way, which is how I came to discover I like it better!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox