Register

Fisher Paykel v. Smeg fridge freezer

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Fisher Paykel v. Smeg fridge freezer

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:50 am

Does anyone have either of these brands and can recommend? We are attracted to the French door-style and freezer layout of both these appliances.

Our current F/F has started to play up (OH up late last night trying to fix it) and we want to act fast in replacing it. We don't want it to be a rushed distress purchase so am info gathering this morning.

Re: Fisher Paykel v. Smeg fridge freezer

Postby Busybee » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:59 am

I’ve had experience in two places that had the individual deep pull out freezer drawers, and thought it was a very good idea, you seemed to be able to get lots more storage, or perhaps more useful storage space.

My ex has a ff like this is Australia, I was impressed by the fridge, but probably it was the size more than anything. If I recall correctly Costco had a few ff of this style in, are you near one where you could go and look/ feel?

BB

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 am

Busybee, I have to self-isolate unfortunately. I don't leave the house unless it's a medical appointment and always then go straight home. A trip to Costco would be impossible. We are happy to buy appliances based on online photos, Which reviews and the opinions/experience of other users.

Our current F/F is a Samsung and it was very spiffy in it's day but we both prefer the newer design of French doors fridge and freezer underneath. The two manufacturers I mention are the only two brands I could find late last night, but I will spend the morning carrying out more research. The other thing is that we would like a white appliance and not stainless steel as that material shows finger marks.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:27 am

If it helps, Fisher and Paykel is very popular in NZ.
The Antipodean branch of my family swears by it.

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:04 am

my daughter has an f&p. she loves it.
i can't comment on function etc but it's a good size fridge and adequate freezer for them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:07 am

No experience of either, I didn’t know that style was called French Door

I find one more that you might like, but it seems that “white goods” now come in any colour but white

The Rangemaster comes in Ivory

https://www.discountappliancecentre.com ... e-freezer/

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:30 am

I have little to add. Is F&P a popular enough make here to get good service assistance if required? ( rarely required for this kind of appliance in my experience!).

I'm with BB on the drawers too. I've lived with a large American-style double door fridge/freezer and found the storage space very poor for the size. I think that the combination of French doors and drawers beneath would be lovely.

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:34 am

Stokey Sue wrote:No experience of either, I didn’t know that style was called French Door

I find one more that you might like, but it seems that “white goods” now come in any colour but white

The Rangemaster comes in Ivory

https://www.discountappliancecentre.com ... e-freezer/

Rangemaster has a bad reputation for reliability. I've spent ages this morning reading reviews, Which reports and buyers opinions and have settled on Fisher Paykel. This is the only company that has one in stock in white

https://www.rdo.co.uk/fisher-paykel-fre ... gLl-fD_BwE

Postby Busybee » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi Binky, I wasn’t aware of your isolation, I’m sure that buying white goods on line using reviews etc is more than adequate.

It looks like f&p match your requirements well, and more importantly is in stock! Our choice of tv in the latest lockdown was somewhat dictated by what was available. So much more sensible to be looking now rather than leaving it to an emergency situation.

I think that ff looks the business, and I’m a real fan of the pull out freezer drawers, I’m sure the capacity is the same but the space just seems more useable.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:29 pm

I’ m sure it will be excellent Binky

None of the pictures I’ve seen give you a good feel for how the freezer drawers are arranged, the “video” is just a slide show that more or less ignores the freezer, odd, but if you have read the Which? reviews then they will have pointed out any problems.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:48 pm

I'd be happy to look things up on Which? if you have a specific model in mind.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:50 pm

Which? review three Fisher and Paykel American FF's and criticized the freezer, compared to the fridge in each. They score 78, 75 and 64%. They review just the Smeg FQ60N2PE1 and give it just 46%.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:11 am

F&P are popular in Oz and have a good reputation. I looked at a French door model but found the drawers pulled out so far I found it hard to reach into them over the top of the front panel.
My freezer section has a side opening door with two big drawers and I found that much easier. I am short and don’t have much arm reach!!

Postby Binky » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:04 pm

New fridge freezer delivered and installed after lots of difficulties with major companies. Most will not deliver if there are steps involved. We tried at least 5 different retailers and all said no, sorry but it wasn't something they offered.

This is the Fisher Paykel 'french doors' fridge freezer. If you're not familiar, it means that your fridge is uppermost (no bending for fruit and veg) and the freezer section is below (in this case it's two shelves that pull out). We're really pleased with it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:13 pm

That looks good Binky
I stand no chance of replacing mine if they won't deliver up steps

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:14 pm

Gosh, that looks really fab, Binky! Congratulations!

Postby miss mouse » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Where do you get the Heinz mayo from Binky? Supplies have vanished here although ketchup still in plentiful supply so no need for panic yet.

That's a cool fridge and 'at last' from your POV. Allegedly Baby Oil keeps the SS looking good.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:47 pm

That's one smart fridge/freezer

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 pm

Allegedly Baby Oil keeps the SS looking good.

The bloke who installed my kitchen 11 years ago said I should use baby oil on the stainless steel.
Works a treat.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:22 pm

A really lovely fridge. So good when you can reach things easily.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox