Register

Offences against food descriptions act

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Offences against food descriptions act

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:48 pm

I sometimes use a blob of Philadelphia cream cheese and a slosh of milk if I don’t have any cream or crème fraiche to make a quick creamy sauce, I think the cooking cream is meant to be an equivalent but stabilised at the consistency of cream or cream sauce. But it doesn’t need all the gubbins they have put in, a touch of corn or potato starch is all you need at home.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:18 pm

I know, ltc. Terrible naming, just what this thread is about!

Same comments re ingredients could be made about many processed convenience foods, Sue - yet despite all the publicity they keep on coming :roll:.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:32 pm

Well, I don't think any of the gubbins are awful - mainly starch and such things, and probably do work to keep it stable in a slow cooker dish, which could be a problem if you didn't think to add a bit of starch when using the more basic ingredients

Just not a product I (or most people) actually need

Postby miss mouse » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Well, I don't think any of the gubbins are awful -

The title makes me laugh,

"Chilli chicken and potato carbonara (pasta free)".

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:17 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I thought that the point of tapas was that it was for sharing. The little German plates don't look as though it is their intention.

no, tapas are individual taster portions, you would need a few to feel you'd had a small meal.
a ración is bigger which you could possibly share as long as there were a at least one per person

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:09 pm

scullion wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:I thought that the point of tapas was that it was for sharing. The little German plates don't look as though it is their intention.

no, tapas are individual taster portions, you would need a few to feel you'd had a small meal.
a ración is bigger which you could possibly share as long as there were a at least one per person

In theory I agree with you completely Scullion

In practice, even in much of Spain (e.g. my most recent visits to Catalonia), in café bars frequented mainly by Spaniards, my experience is that tapas come in portions to share meze style these days

The idea that tapas are just a lid to cover a glass, crowned with a little snack, seems to have faded rather, though of course there are pinxos (canapé like tapas, mainly on bread found in northern Spain)

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:19 pm

you may be right.
my experience is from a decade or so ago, salamanca down to granada and points west.
a tapa of tortilla gave our daughter food poisoning in granada - thankfully, for the rest of us, not big enough to share!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:06 pm

And then there are cicchetti in Venice, best enjoyed overlooking the gondola hospital.

At the other end of the scale, is something that doesn't contravene food descriptions, but is so dire, that it beggars belief. I've thought long and hard about posting this review of my 'lunch' yesterday, but oh boy, mushrooms on toast is usually a joyous, creamy, garlicy affair, laced with parsley (even brandy and mustard at home, though I wouldn't expect that on a lunch menu). Posted to Tripadvisor.
They have lost my custom.

Avoid the mushrooms on toast
It was what was described, mushrooms on toast, but oh dear...
A slab of quality brown bread, toasted till dry, topped with dry brown mushrooms. I didn't detect any butter, but there may have been a scrape. No sprinkle of parsley, bit of cream, but as I say, it was what it said on the tin...so dry and boring, I couldn't eat all the toast
Accompanied by a dry salad 'garnish'. £7.95. Wish I'd taken a photo.
I'd pay more for a decent light bite.
I've rated it 3 starts for the ambience and the fact that the cakes looked rather better value; a slab of creamy decadence for £4.00/£4.50.

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:57 pm

EIGHT QUID for THAT?

Shameful!!!!!!
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:56 pm

Suelle wrote:This Lemon Dessert Lasagne just popped up on my Facebook feed:

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/lemon- ... e/yx880sks

It might be delicious, but surely Lasagne is the wrong word to use in the name of the dish? :D :shock:

Lemon Dessert Lasagne? Really? It looks more like a cheesecake to me from the list of ingredients! Having seen some American 'lasagne' recipes, I think they use the term to mean a layered dish of some sort. Unless it's an Emperors New Clothes sort of thing going on! :?

Postby mistakened » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:06 pm

Its the instruction to remove the milk from the fridge 30 minutes before starting that worries me

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:12 pm

Ian insisted onions and wine went in carbonara and told us all how to spell kecap manis incorrectly!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:39 pm

I have been caught red handed.
I make chicken methi, which hub thinks is my chicken tikka.
Our next door neighbour has (this afternoon) invited us to help eat a 'vat of chicken methi'. I wont like that, announces hub..... er, you will, it's what you eat every Friday :thumbsup

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:37 pm

Yep - looks like a cheesecake to me, too.

Lasagne is made with pasta and hot ingredients, not cold, as any good Italian would tell you.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox