Register

Corned beef pie

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Corned beef pie

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:24 pm

. . Is trending on Twitter and now I want to try it. Recipes anyone?

Re: Corned beef pie

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:31 pm

I rarely use corned beef, but i made hash for hub tonight and i had leftover chicken. I guess that popping a sheet of puff pastry over it, it could constitute a pie?

My mum used it in a 'pie' with mash over the top, like a shepherd's pie. She called it a cottage pie. We ate some strange things.

Postby oat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:40 pm

Corned beef pie's are sold in a lot of the local bakery shops here.
They are corned beef, onion and diced potato. In short crust pastry.
My mother used to make corned beef stew, I seem to remember I liked it :thumbsup

Postby Suelle » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:41 pm

It looks like corned beef hash in a double-crust shortcrust pastry case, according to the first few recipes I've looked at.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:22 pm

Suelle wrote:It looks like corned beef hash in a double-crust shortcrust pastry case, according to the first few recipes I've looked at.

That's how my Mum always made it. Served with baked beans. My friend's Mum used a bottom crust only, lined it with corned beef slices, topped those with a mix of beans and fried onions and topped with mash. I liked it both ways.

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:58 pm

did corned beef ever fully recover from the fray bentos fiasco in uruguay fifty odd years ago?

Postby Suelle » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:33 pm

scullion wrote:did corned beef ever fully recover from the fray bentos fiasco in uruguay fifty odd years ago?

Judging by the number of occasions it's been unobtainable, it's been a storecupboard staple during lockdown!

As a solo cook, I find it very useful, but I only really started using it since the start of the pandemic, thinking, like so many others, that it was a useful storecupboard addition. :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:14 am

I think corned beef (the tinned kind, which is what we seem to be talking about) is a real comfort food.
I think we've established how to do the pie so what else do you use it for?
We used to have it instead of sausages as a store cupboard toad in the hole and also, as a kind of hash with cooked macaroni and leeks so that the warm juices coated the pasta as the meat fell apart in the pan. That was a favourite.

Postby Suelle » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:02 am

I usually open a tin of corned beef to have some in my lunch salads, then finish it up in a hash. A Red Flannel hash, with a proportion of beetroot alongside the potatoes is delicious.

I'm not very adventurous, so a few new ideas would be welcome here, too.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:13 am

M&S do some fishcake-type things with it. Very good with fried eggs.

https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-2-co ... lsrc=aw.ds

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:35 am

I’m not a huge corned beef fan but I used to love those M&S Crispbakes, I’d no idea they still sold then

Postby Seatallan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:41 am

I'm very fond of corned beef and so is Mr S. I fairly often do a mid-week corned beef hash variant in which I cook down corned beef, sliced mushrooms and sliced onions and then add a tin of toms, a handful or two of frozen peas, some herbs and a dash of Worcestershire Sauce. Simmer for a bit and serve along side baked spuds. Yummy! :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Meganthemog » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:51 am

Corned beef pasties/pies are a staple in South Wales. Every bakery sells them and they feature on every buffet board! Some are puff pastry and others are shortcrust - mashed potato, tinned corned beef sometimes a bit of diced onion. Very much carb on carb but loved by most people.
We once went to a do where half a dozen 'mams' had contributed their versions - we sadly were on the table where the mam had only shown the mash potato the corned beef tin. :(
Gregs do a pretty good one.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:08 am

My cousin in Canada always made her own. It was a lot of phaff, but probably vastly superior. Unfortunately, the first (and, as it turns out, the only time) we visited, she had lost the plot a bit, having lost her hub some years previously, and when we arrived, late at night and hungry, she only had booze to offer us, as she'd not realised we may need to eat too. I think we had tinned apricots with cornflakes.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/h ... rned_beef/

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:25 am

I think canned corned beef and the sort of salt beef you cook at home are pretty much 2 different foods

Like condensed and fresh milk, or ground and fresh root ginger.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:08 pm

Yes, I think what Americans call corned beef is what we call salt beef. A bit like the chips/crisps nomenclature, two nations divided by a common language.

At school we used to have something called (by the kids) Kit-e-Kat pie, because the meat under the pastry visually resembled that brand of cat food. I've never been sure what went into it ( :shock: ) but maybe it was based on corned beef.

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:27 pm

What we call salt beef was called 'Corned beef' in America from corn-cob-like shape of the 'lumps' of salt used, and it was cooked as we cook salt beef ... boiled beef and carrots etc, or cooked and then pressed and sliced to serve cold with salads, sandwiches etc.

Later on it was canned and exported to the UK as Corned Beef from the huge ranches in S. America ... so we call it Corned Beef 'cos that's what it said on the tin.

We still have 'salt beef' if we have a proper old fashioned butcher.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox