Register

Thai Basil

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Thai Basil

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:50 pm

Morrisons had no basil, but did have a few packs of Thai basil - which I bought in desperation. I Googled the difference, but can't make up my mind what to do. Does anyone have any experience? I need it for a tomato, basil and mozzarella risotto.

Re: Thai Basil

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:03 pm

the flavour is a little different. taste it.
i would be inclined to use a little less of the (thai) basil than the recipe suggests and add in a pinch of oregano.

Postby Suelle » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:07 pm

My research suggests that 'Italian' basil can be used instead of Thai, if you're desperate, but not the other way round.

However, if you like the flavour of the Thai basil, I'd be inclined to go ahead and try the risotto - perhaps with a little less basil than suggested, as the flavour is stronger.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks both. Our Morrisons is in a state of upheaval at the moment - they're changing all the chiller cabinets, and stuff's either missing or in an odd place.

Oh - just remembered - I've got some dried basil - would that be any good?

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:13 pm

hmm, you'd have to be careful not to overdo the dried - the flavour comes up much stronger than fresh even allowing for the difference. it will also effect the look of the finished product.

i only ever make risotto (mainly mushroom) in order to make arancini so maybe i'm not the best person to answer!

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:18 pm

scullion wrote:i only ever make risotto (mainly mushroom) in order to make arancini so maybe i'm not the best person to answer!

You're better than me - this is my first go - hence my concern. :lol:

Thanks - I think I'll trek into town, and see what's there.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:33 pm

I usually grow both Thai and Italian (Genoese) basil

I agree with the consensus, Italian basil , preferably with a little fresh garden mint added, works as a sub for Thai but not the other way round

Thai basil isn’t as soft as Genoese and freezes quite well, it’s not pretty when it thaws (use frozen) but it tastes ok.

I like it as a finish to Thai (or Thai-ish :oops ) curries and noodle dishes

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks Sue - I'mreally glad I asked now. Good tip about freezing.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:50 pm

OH bought Thai basil by mistake a few weeks ago and didn't notice until we started using it. It wasn't as "sweet". I agree, I'd be inclined to use less, but be wary on the dried.
The pinch of oregano is a good idea, scully.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Dried basil really does taste like sawdust - I'd use the fresh Thai but as others have said less.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:03 pm

I think Thai basil is similar to mint.
Whether that actually is a problem with the risotto, I'm not so sure. I'd probably not use it tho.

I'd rather omit it all together than use it as a sub.

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:47 pm

A bit of feedback. I had a bit of luck - my neighbour was going to the town shops and got some basil for me. The risotto was great for a first timer. Thanks for all the help and tips - all securely stored away.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:17 pm

Love a risotto.

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:18 am

I’ve never actually used Thai basi so Info here has been useful . I agree dried basil is awful , made the mistake of buying once when fresh wasn’t available

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:12 pm

i use dried basil. it has it's place. in some things that have strong flavours, using fresh basil, just makes it disappear.
it doesn't seem that long ago when, unless you grew it yourself, fresh basil wasn't available outside of the mediterranean.
my first real memory of basil was dried, in a bowl of sliced tomatoes with oil and vinegar dressing that came with bread and cheese, in the village of glion, overlooking lake geneva when i was twelve.
it was a revelation - even dried.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:40 pm

I haven’t tested this thoroughly but I believe that good dried basil can be made from the Greek/Provençal small leaved variety, which again is less soft than the Genoese. A little dried Provençal basil goes into the classic herbes de Provence mix

As herb gardening is my thing, over the last few years I have grown 7 or 8 different varieties including some fancy ones like lime basil and red leaved basil; the one I haven’t so far tried that I intend to is tulsi holy basil which is different to Thai basil, not a lot of culinary uses though

This year I tried to grow Thai, Genoese, and Greek, but got hit by freak weather and I’ve ended up with just a superb pot of Genoese from the garden centre, I made and froze a lot of pesto last might

Postby liketocook » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:26 pm

My DIL-to-be always brings back dried Greek basil for visits home. She stores it in the freezer as she says it loses it's flavour quite quickly otherwise.
Thanks for tip re "ordinary" basil with a pinch of mint as a sub for Thai basil as it's not something I can get here. (Really should try and grow some!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox