Register

Help ! Lemon curd

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Help ! Lemon curd

Postby halfateabag » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi peeps, have tried searching the net and here.... but I have 12 lemons and want to make a long lasting lemon curd. everything I have looked at says either keep in a fridge or it will go 'off' I want a recipe (easy) that will last up to Chris*mas if possible in my cool larder.
TIA :thumbsup

Re: Help ! Lemon curd

Postby Suelle » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:01 pm

I'd be interested to see if anyone knows of such a recipe. I can't find one.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:07 pm

prep the lemons, put them in the freezer and make the lemon curd nearer christmas.

or make preserved lemons with some and lemon curd, for now, with the rest - if you're needing something to do with the haul of lemons.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:59 pm

I have made an orange & lemon curd which keeps for around six months sealed, it's lovely but wouldn't use up all your lemons - I'd be inclined to do some preserved lemons too - always good to have in store.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:50 pm

Great idea preserved lemons. I have now made said LC out of 6 of them. But will look for recipe for PL. Thanks peeps.

No room in DF due to visiting ASDA at that 'perfect time' and bought a shedload of meat products for 10p each! I was in 7th heaven !!!! Yes, I know, my own fault !!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Unwaxed lemons are best for PL, but if they're waxed, scrub them well. I won a 2* great taste award for mine in 2014, but when I gave up my chutney business, I put all my recipes in the attic. Any good recipe will preserve them though.

ETA, i used my preserved lemons in a Moreish chutney recipe I made up, with Moroccan spices. I wanted to put that in for an award, but gave up before I could.

And, just for us, I preserved the skins of lemons I've squeezed for other things, using a whole one for juice in there too.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:31 pm

Sloe, I find that intriguing!
Sloe-Gin wrote:And, just for us, I preserved the skins of lemons I've squeezed for other things, using a whole one for juice in there too.

How do you do it? I have just thrown out some unwaxed juiced halves but would be delighted if i could find a way of preserving them! Given that recipes using them often say only use the skin, it would make sense .

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Use them exactly as the recipe says, KC2, with loads of salt and juice of a whole one. No waste.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:36 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:when I gave up my chutney business, I put all my recipes in the attic

Could this be the start of a preserves book! ;) .

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:40 pm

Perhaps I need herbi on the case!!

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:19 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:How do you do it? I have just thrown out some unwaxed juiced halves but would be delighted if i could find a way of preserving them! Given that recipes using them often say only use the skin, it would make sense .

Agree with Scullion - whole or not, squeezed or not - freeze them. Peeled zest freezes well too. Claudia Roden has quite a few mentions of freezing for lemons used for preserving or otherwise.

Zosh, as you have no freezer space for whole lemons, do you have enough space for the lemon curd base without the eggs - a lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar syrup? Or even just juice and zest. Would freeze very flat. Six lemons worth shouldn't take up much space. Can be used for dishes including sorbets etc. Lovely stuff.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:05 pm

I have full freezers. I would ask if the zested lemon halves could be used for preserved lemons in some way ?
I was going to ask Mamta if these zested lemon halves could be used for some sort of Lemon pickle. Kool may know if these could be used up in some way, I do hate any waste.....

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:19 pm

Yes use in preserved lemons

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:18 am

this is the recipe i use for preserved lemons .
i used a rough version of this to preserve the squeezed shells the last time i'd squeezed a load for lemon juice. i topped the juice up with bottled. they may not turn out quite as good as 'normal' but at least i didn't waste the lemon shells...

Postby halfateabag » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:21 am

Well, that's todays task sorted ! Many thanks ladies :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:06 am

Actually, in the end, I made Mamta's window ledge pickle with a couple of additions. I had found a jar of pickled lemons in the back of a fridge so that would have been overkill.

I added a clove of sliced garlic and used cumin seeds as I did not have carob(aswain) I plan to add some sugar later when the peels have softened some.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox