Register

Help; vegetarian fajitas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Help; vegetarian fajitas

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:30 pm

The family are coming on Sunday for relaxed fajitas. It's a meal that makes the young and old feel happy and relaxed. It's usually help yourself chicken, peppers etc with the trimmings.
My DiL has the day off and is joining us. what could i prepare as a veggie alternative to chicken?
Paneer kebabs?
Suggestions very much appreciated.

Re: Help; vegetarian fajitas

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:59 pm

Great big mushrooms with a bit of thyme and some olive oil?

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:51 pm

if you want to make it easy for yourself, i'd get some quorn fillets, cut them into strips and treat them in the same way that you would the chicken.
if she's the sort of vegetarian who doesn't go for 'fake meat' i think i'd go for fried halloumi.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:04 pm

The suggestions sound good. I think fairly small fried tofu pieces or just beans (red kidney or similar) would work too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:14 pm

There are lots of online recipes for veggie fajitas, most seem to use canned black beans - I’m not personally keen on black (turtle) beans which seem to have more skin than flavour, but I expect you can use other kinds of beans, just drained, seasoned and heated

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:51 pm

I like the suggestions of strips of halloumi with mixed peppers and/or thickish slices of lovely big portobello mushrooms

Postby Rainbow » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:20 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:I like the suggestions of strips of halloumi with mixed peppers and/or thickish slices of lovely big portobello mushrooms

As a vegetarian I would be very happy with that :D

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:11 am

Totally agree with Scullion - even omnivores would love that, so make extra! :D I love tofu - especially fried agadashi style - and don't consider it a veggie meat substitute at all, but rather something in its own right.

Extra veg strips are always good, too. And avo slices as well as guacamole if you that's what you do.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:26 am

I’d just roast a pan of mixed vegetables and peppers because although I’m a meat eater I do love that in any type of wrap, actually prefer it to meat to be honest when it’s served that way.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Rainbow » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:43 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:I’d just roast a pan of mixed vegetables and peppers because although I’m a meat eater I do love that in any type of wrap, actually prefer it to meat to be honest when it’s served that way.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

That sounds good, too. And would go well with Halloumi or Tofu. Depends how much extra cooking you want to do, but meat eaters
often like the veggie stuff as well!!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:24 am

Thank you. I have peppers to cook and i always have halloumi (oh for Moira's fresh halloumi), so will marinate it in oil, lemon and herbs an sprinkle with paprika

Postby mistakened » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Thanks for those ideas, we will definitely be having a Halloumi version.

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:44 pm

scullion wrote:if you want to make it easy for yourself, i'd get some quorn fillets, cut them into strips and treat them in the same way that you would the chicken.
if she's the sort of vegetarian who doesn't go for 'fake meat' i think i'd go for fried halloumi.

I think this is spot on. You want something a bit 'meaty'/chewy?

With veg, of course.

Problem I find with just vegetables and no protein is that you are left feeling a little unsatisfied. (Unsated? In terms of post meal feel.)

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:30 pm

I think it’s good to have a protein sub too , plus I think for non meat eaters it makes them feel they’re having a “proper” meal rather than an omnivore meal , just with the meat taken out . Haven’t had fajitas for ages , might make some this week now, thank you

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:06 pm

I think I've covered every angle.
Chicken and halloumi, roast veg. Shrooms, salads, jalapenos for son, salsa and dips for all. I don't expect there to be much left over!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox