Register

What is the finished dish ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What is the finished dish ?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:00 am

I have an old friend who loves to cook ... (Actually it was Eileen who first introduced me to braised leeks ;) )

Anyway, she is not the most organised of people and as she gets older she is getting worse.

She called me yesterday: She had found a scrap of paper and on it was written '6 x eggs, sugar, cream and (4 ?) lemons .... pour into a pastry case ' So her question was what did I think the dish was called ...

I said I would ask you guys, but my thoughts were a lemon flan - Tarte au citron ???

She wants to make it next week as she has her grandson visiting for the first time in several years and who has especially requested his Grandma's Kedgeree, declaring it the best he has tasted.

TIA :lol:

Re: What is the finished dish ?

Postby Suffs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 am

Hmmm ... could it be Lemon Meringue Pie? I don't put cream in the filling, but I'd pour it over afterwards ........ and it'd be ideal grandson fodder :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:30 am

I agree, an English version of Tarte au Citron - a lemon flan. Could also be Lemon Meringue Pie if you separated the eggs and used the whites for meringue.

I found an old recipe for Lemon Chiffon the other day - hadn't heard of that for years but it's not served in a pastry case.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:34 am

She is going to mix the ingredients including the zest and juice of the lemons, make or buy (in her case now) a flan case and see how it turns out .. I will let you know, but Em, your thought process was the same as mine :thumbsup :yum
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:08 am

Perhaps your friend could give us her recipe for Kedgeree ... we're big kedgeree fans here and like to try different ways of preparing it. :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm

She thought her kedgeree was quite a basic one, but knowing her there will be some tweaks ... anyway I'll ask her. I do recall she made delicious fish cakes using mackeral .. can't remember if that recipe came from her own Mother who ran a boarding house in the Lake District, or her late husbands' Mum who was from St Helena .. :?

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 pm

I don’t think it would be lemon meringue pie would it because that usually has cornflour in as well?

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 pm

I like the Hairy Bikers kedgeree the best.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:13 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I don’t think it would be lemon meringue pie would it because that usually has cornflour in as well?

Yes, I agree and she said that she wouldn't have written down a recipe for lemon meringue pie as she has made that plenty of times ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox