Register

Food fermentation

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Food fermentation

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:16 pm

Herbi, as far as I understand it - I think StokeySue might have explained this? Someone else on here? Anyway, all Kosher salt is, is salt without any of the additives that make it flow freely - ie sea salt or rock salt or equivalent. In the US that's why they specify Kosher salt as it's pure salt ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:52 pm

herbidacious wrote:Is it essential to use Kosher salt as a lot of recipes on line suggest?

KeenCook2 wrote:Herbi, as far as I understand it - I think StokeySue might have explained this? Someone else on here? Anyway, all Kosher salt is, is salt without any of the additives that make it flow freely - ie sea salt or rock salt or equivalent. In the US that's why they specify Kosher salt as it's pure salt ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!

Yup
In the USA most salt is iodised, and in quantity the iodide can be bitter. Much “free running” table salt contains small quantities of magnesium carbonate to stop it going lumpy

It’s just possible that these harmless chemicals might affect the fermentation or the flavour of the food so kosher (which is coarse crystal sea salt), or untreated sea salt or rock salt is best for such projects

I wonder if you can still get the blocks of rock salt people used to have for preserving?

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:39 am

this is the recipe i use - https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-kimchi-at-home-189390 - it's very easy
and i use the ordinary salt from lidl.
it doesn't effect the fermentation and i haven't noticed any bitter taste so maybe it doesn't have an anti-caking agent in it.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:15 am

I would have thought that untreated sea salt might contain traces of all sorts of other minerals and indeed whatever chemicals were dumped into the sea nearby. I've used both sea salt and table salt for fermentation (mostly sauerkraut) without any noticeable difference in outcomes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:31 pm

I doubt anything in UK table salt or cooking salt would be a problem, but you’d definitely want to avoid iodised standard US salt, because of bitterness

The magnesium in free running UK salt could even be an advantage or neutral

Postby herbidacious » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:36 am

Thanks. Sorry I should have read more closely.

Thanks for the recipe, Scully.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:18 pm

As a follow up, we did an introduction to fermentation course yesterday and made sauerkraut.
Salt was discussed and apparently she uses sea salt.
To our varieties of cabbage, we could add garlic, caraway, peppercorns and dried seaweed. I stuck to the first two.
The next session is kombucha. We shall do it for the experience.

Postby Uschi » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:07 pm

Over here many recipes call for juniper berries and bay leaves when cooking Sauerkraut. I guess you can always add them when making Sauerkraut, too.
Allspice might also give a good note to another cabbage.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox