Register

Three vegetables

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Three vegetables

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 pm

I received my latest Oddbox delivery overnight. I so love getting it, thanks Pat.

Amongst the usual delights are:

1: A living lettuce. I've been asked to put it in nutrient-rich water for the best effect. It has gone in a pint glass with tap water. What should I add?

2: The most enormous Savoy cabbage you ever did see. Suggestions for using it very welcome.

3: A marrow. Ditto. :?

There were also 4 huge, very hard passion fruit.

Re: Three vegetables

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:53 pm

3. My favourite marrow dish is thick slices of peeled and cored marrow
brushed with oil and stuffed with sausage meat - or nut roast mixture if preferred - baked in the oven and served with a bechamel or cheese sauce.

My mother used to fry chunks of it, add to white sauce and serve with sausages. I like things like a little onion flavour and nutmeg added to the sauce.

Someone here recently did something interesting with cabbage, I can't remember what.

ETA it was this - I wonder if it would work with Savoy. Stuffed leaves otherwise!
Gruney2 wrote:This evening, I made "Poor Man's Cabbage Bake", from Gennaro's "Fast Cook Italian". Essentially it's a bake of a hispi cabbage, mozzarella and sourdough bread. Absolutely superb.
Last edited by Gillthepainter on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotes amended

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:02 pm

Rick Stein's recipe for Kapuska works very well with Savoy cabbage.

Postby Pampy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:03 pm

I buy living lettuces from Ocado - they're great and last for ages. But I found very quickly that I had to change the water they were in every day otherwise they would smell awfully!

Postby Suelle » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:07 pm

I like this Savoy cabbage recipe, also from Gennaro (with Antonio Carluccio). I do cut down on the butter (a lot) and the cheese (a little), though. :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pota ... bake_02489

If you need to feed your lettuce, you need liquid plant food such as Tomorite or Baby Bio.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:15 pm

epsom salts for the lettuce or a bit of aspirin - that's what you're meant to put in flowers to keep them going, aren't you?
stuffed cabbage leaves for the outside ones and non pasta lasagne with the less 'tasty' interior ones?
marrow and ginger jam.
leave the passion fruit to ripen and wrinkle then put the contents in the freezer until you make something that you would want to use them on - like a cheesecake.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:30 pm

We like summer minestrone if we have cabbage to use up.

Felicity's recipe is a good basic one https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... asterclass

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 pm

I was going to suggest minestrone too. I also adore stuffed cabbage. :yum

EM's marrow suggestion sounds divine!! :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:51 pm

Savoy cabbage is much nicer than white cabbage, shredded in a coleslaw.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:59 pm

My favourite recipe for cabbage comes from a book by Julie Sahni, and it´s called Blue Mountain Stew. Cooked lentils ( she actually uses toor dal) onion, tomatoes, lots of cabbage and a spice mixture called "sambhar" - which is remarkably similar to curry powder.
If you´ve got time on your hands, stuffed cabbage leaves - Russian, Polish, Serbian - are delish, if a little time-consuming. However, they can be frozen, so no problem.
Marrow? definitely stuffed, although a friend of mine´s mum used to bake it in the oven with little more than butter, salt and pepper. A very delicate dish.
Never been given a living lettuce.
All mine are as dead as doornails.

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3830&p=73475&hilit=cabbage#p73475

my other suggestion for cabbage.
it's a dutch recipe usually made with white cabbage but i don't see why it wouldn't be good with savoy.

Postby liketocook » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:53 pm

I often regrow spring onions in a glass of water. A tip I got was to add a good pinch of compost to the glass or a couple of drops of plant food. They grow really well and I can't see why it wouldn't work with a living lettuce. You do need to change the water every few days.
As far as savoy cabbage goes, I'd happily eat a massive bowl of it steamed with lots of butter and black pepper. My Greek DIL-to-be makes dolmades with it if she can't get vine leaves. They're tasty.
Thinly sliced peeled marrow layered with potatoes and savoury mince or ragu then topped with cheese sauce and baked is rather good.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:10 pm

liketocook wrote:As far as savoy cabbage goes, I'd happily eat a massive bowl of it steamed with lots of butter and black pepper.

:thumbsup :yum :yum :yum

Postby Uschi » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:54 pm

Savoy cabbage is made into cabbage parcels stuffed with minced meat and then fried until golden brown and then braised until ready. Fry the leftover cabbage with some onions and lots of caraway seeds, make a good gravy to go with it and potato mash. Serve the parcel and the mash with the gravy and freeze the rest for later. :hi5: :wino

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:11 pm

That sounds good Usch but I’ll have to pass on the caraway seeds. :?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:59 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I received my latest Oddbox delivery overnight. I so love getting it, thanks Pat.

Amongst the usual delights are:

1: A living lettuce. I've been asked to put it in nutrient-rich water for the best effect. It has gone in a pint glass with tap water. What should I add?

2: The most enormous Savoy cabbage you ever did see. Suggestions for using it very welcome.

3: A marrow. Ditto. :?

There were also 4 huge, very hard passion fruit.

I loved the living lettuce ... it went on for ages ... It was the enormous size of some of the other veg that made me decide to give it a rest .. I was giving more to the neighbours than I was able to eat myself.

You can request NOT to receive certain veg, but it's not that I don't want them, it's the giant ones I don't want. Oddbox just don't seem to cater for a single person household ...

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:02 am

Pampy wrote:I buy living lettuces from Ocado - they're great and last for ages. But I found very quickly that I had to change the water they were in every day otherwise they would smell awfully!

Pampy, this is/was one whole lettuce with a bare root ball (iirc), not the little pots of lettuce seedlings ... It really did live for ages. I kept mine in a ceramic pot, so the root ball was kept in the dark and don't recall any nasty smell at all .. :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:24 am

I get living lettuce from the shop over the road, it comes with the roots in a bit of potting compost wrapped in something like J-cloth

I’ve not tried keeping it going for long, but I wouldn’t have thought to feed it

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am

Uschi wrote:Savoy cabbage is made into cabbage parcels stuffed with minced meat and then fried until golden brown and then braised until ready. Fry the leftover cabbage with some onions and lots of caraway seeds, make a good gravy to go with it and potato mash. Serve the parcel and the mash with the gravy and freeze the rest for later. :hi5: :wino

Uschi, that sounds properly scrumptious. I have SO got to try that. :yum :yum :yum

Postby Pampy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:20 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Pampy wrote:I buy living lettuces from Ocado - they're great and last for ages. But I found very quickly that I had to change the water they were in every day otherwise they would smell awfully!

Pampy, this is/was one whole lettuce with a bare root ball (iirc), not the little pots of lettuce seedlings ... It really did live for ages. I kept mine in a ceramic pot, so the root ball was kept in the dark and don't recall any nasty smell at all .. :thumbsup

It was a whole lettuce with a bare root, not seedlings https://www.ocado.com/products/living-t ... -534048011 I've had a couple and they both needed to have the water changed every day - although I never thought to put a bit of food in - will try that next time.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox