Register

Vegan and no nightshade

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Vegan and no nightshade

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:43 pm

He isn’t Gwyneth Paltrow’s secret twin is he? :D

I’d begrudge him House room frankly

Seriously, check for anti-mask anti-vac and other forms of covidiocy before letting him within 2 metres

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 pm

Fussy blighter, isn´t he? :lol: :lol: :lol: ( Says he, who was thus accused at Uni!!)
OK - so rice, pasta, quinoa, couscous for carbs.
Mushrooms are great - make a portobello burger, a mushroom ragout, stir-fried oriental noodles with mushrooms.
Green beans/snap-peas/cabbage/broccoli. Broccoli with garlic and lemon is a good option.
Grains are great for croquettes, in soups, in "burgers", very versatile. You could fill some burritos with beans and any veg he can eat.
Eggs? I´d do an egg curry. Shame about the chiles, but it´d be fine.
Obviously breakfast is baked beans on toast, every day... although I once had breakfast with a Palestinian friend and we had hummus, za´atar, shanklish (any vegan cheese products around?) pine nuts, olives, etc.
Nuts are another option but I imagine a bit expensive.

Postby Rainbow » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:38 am

How on earth can he claim to be vegan and still eat eggs?

Makes it hard to take his other dietary choices very seriously :?

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:26 am

don't bother making a big effort.
buy a pack of the plant burgers from aldi, slap some salad bits, mayo and gherkins in a roll with one of the burgers and give him some sweet potato chips to go with it.
if he's there for a second meal - he can have the other burger in the pack.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:08 am

One potato, two potato, sweet potato, all potato. Same family.

So give him some Yuca chips or plantain chips.

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:47 am

Sweet potato is OK according to various Google sites. Celeriac chips/wedges are nice - a spot of oil, salt, and paprika or cumin or nutmeg to toss them in, then baked :)

I'd feel honour bound to give the guy a chance to find his feet in this seemingly new to him vegan business which might be a transitional fad or become a deeper commitment given current social memes about saving the planet (as well as his complexion). I might not break an arm and a leg but vegan food isn't that different after all.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 am

Years ago, a friend with eczema was told that meat and dairy might exacerbate her problem, so she avoided them. As a shorthand for her diet she described herself as 'vegan but eats eggs'. This was in days past when veganism was not the thing it currently is. I found her reasoning perfectly plausible, no idea if the diet has any effect whatsoever, but she was trying to help herself and I was (am) happy to support that.

On the other hand, a lot of lifestyle choices or self-diagnosed conditions that when pursued to the point of inconveniencing others do smack of preciousness. However, an alternative view of this is that they might not have a physiological condition but a psychological one - perhaps we shouldn't judge them. There are plenty of cases where that thought doesn't stop me judging them by the way. :D

One of my lasting memories of the Environmental Sciences department at UEA was that a number of the students drove cars, smoked, ate lentils and lectured everyone else about air pollution...

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:54 am

Sweet potato is in the bindweed family

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am

Sweet potatoes are from the ipomoea (morning glory) family rather than solanaceae.
The term vegan has been round for many, many years, meaning just as it always has. I’m pretty sure it can be claimed as an ethical belief now.
He should have said he was following a plant based diet rather than a vegan one - it just makes him look silly.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:17 am

He should have said he was following a plant based diet

Only some plants, obviously... :D

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:47 am

i could think of a few plants to avoid ahead of potatoes and tomatoes etc!

Postby mistakened » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:01 pm

scullion wrote:i could think of a few plants to avoid ahead of potatoes and tomatoes etc!

Most of the brassicas except broccoli and cauliflower

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 pm

well, i was thinking of things like datura, rhododendron, leopard lily (unless you just want someone to shut up for a while!) improperly treated cassava etc.

i quite like brassicas - i obviously don't have the gene.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 pm

Interesting reading this thread. It takes me back to the 70s when I went macrobiotic for a while.
There were quite a lot of musos who did this and I remember one violinist who actually got really ill and died, apparently because he wasn't eating the right things/a diet that supplied his needs.
Looking back, he almost certainly had other health issues, but at the time the talk was that it was his extremely limited diet that finished him off. He never looked well, I must say.

That whole thing about chewing a grain of (brown) rice a hundred times? Only eating fruit and veg in season? No nightshade?

I genuinely can't think of a vegetable I've ever encountered that I don't like or don't eat ...

Postby Meganthemog » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:25 pm

scullion wrote:well, i was thinking of things like datura, rhododendron, leopard lily (unless you just want someone to shut up for a while!) improperly treated cassava etc.

LOL I don't fancy spending the rest of my days at Her Majesty's Pleasure because of a fussy eater :lol:

Thank you for all your suggestions, I think I am sorted now with a selection of tapas style starters, followed by mushroom stroganoff and rice and a chicken casserole for meat eaters. There will be quite a few of us - all above board as it will be al fresco.

We could start a new thread on - the most difficult guest I had to feed!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:39 pm

Sounds delicious. The thing is, although you will obviously respect his wants, it doesn't seem quite so bad if an ingredient slips in by mistake in the way it would be if there were religious, allergy or intolerance issues. As he's your invited guest he must have plenty of plus points and a challenge is fun sometimes!

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Meganthemog wrote: ...[clip]...
We could start a new thread on - the most difficult guest I had to feed!

I'm sure it'll all go swimmingly :)

A thread on difficult guests would be a character assassination fest; I hate those excursions, preferring best guest stories. That said, it would hard to surpass herbidacious's recollection of the disparate tastes of the group she mentions. Those requirements would have any cook spinning like a top!

My mum got used to my faddy diets, like veg only if raw (I hated soggy veg), no meat at all (the only way to avoid liver), a 6:1 diet as a fasting day seemed logical to let the week's grub clear through completely. I suppose we all settle at some point on what seems to suit us.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:27 am

Sweet potatoes are from the ipomoea (morning glory) family rather than solanaceae.

Aarggh - my mistake there!
I´ve just thought though - you could serve the fella curried popcorn, right? 8-)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox