Register

Vegan and no nightshade

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Vegan and no nightshade

Postby Meganthemog » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:51 am

I hope you lovely people can help me out here. I have a vegan guest coming and am getting a bit worried about how to feed him as he also doesn't eat anything from the Nightshade family (please don't ask!)
In the main every recipe I come across has either tomatoes, potatoes, aubergine or pepper in it. I know I'm ok with hummus and guacamole for starters but I'm getting a bit concerned about breakfast and dinner. I'd like to be able to have us all eating the same thing but I don't like tofu in any shape or form. Also recipes seem to use nutritional yeast flakes in everything - so essentially Marmite flavour?
Any help would be very appreciated!

Re: Vegan and no nightshade

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:05 am

Doesn’t guacamole contain tomato? Though I suppose you could leave it out quite easily

Breakfast seems quite straightforward, oat milk with any kind of porridge, muesli or granola, toast or bread, Pure or similar sunflower spread, fruit and most of the usual spreads like jam but not honey

Nutritional yeast is not a lot like Marmite, it’s dry flakes and tastes different, the common brand is Engevita which is made by the same people who make Marigold bouillon and usually next to it on the shelf in health food shops and even supermarkets, worth getting a small tub probably

I was thinking dal, veg curry and rice but tricky without chilli, though not all S Asians eat chilli

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:16 am

Pulses I think could be your answer for main meals and can easily be nightshade free. Lentil dhal without chilli just lots of garlic and ginger etc. with flatbreads for main course or a thick bean/mushroom soup. Mushrooms and dried mushrooms are very good for adding texture. This pate is very good https://www.davidlebovitz.com/faux-gras ... te-recipe/ . Jamie Oliver's black bean burgers are very easy to make just leave out the chilli and add a good pinch of pepper and or grated ginger for a bit of heat and adjust the serving suggestions to suit. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/veg ... n-burgers/

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 am

Big stir fries with rice or noodles with any kind of legume or acceptable nut served with grains.
Mushroom Stroganoff served with rice or noodles (I've got a vegan recipe if you'd like it, I am not vegan but like it), pies made with vegan permitted fat filled with tasty veg & legume mixtures. Salads galore, tabboleh. Bean& veg burgers .....
There are also a lot of ready made items in supermarket chilled if you're desperate too.

Snacks such as roasted chickpeas etc.

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 pm

Hearty bean or veg. soups with home made bread. Salad (if the weather is suitable) with bean/veg burgers - the usual lettuce, cucumber, radishes etc plus things like strawberries, pomegranate seeds, avocado etc.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 pm

Will they eat meat subs? They are usually mushroom or soy based. I suppose it depends on how gourmet you want to be.

There was a really nice look recipe for gram flour bread in the Guardian at the weekend. You could do it without tomatoes:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/series/the-new-vegan

Lots of other nice looking vegan recipes there too.
Last edited by herbidacious on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:26 pm

I think you could make a ribollita without tomatoes. I sometimes add veggie sausages.

There is Ottolenghi's mushroom-based ragu sauce, you could omit the tomato paste, but no chilli and thus harissa allowed, I suppose...

https://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/dinne ... -pan-ragu/

risotto (roast squash, mushroom, pea etc.)

AS EM says pies eg. https://biancazapatka.com/en/mushroom-w ... iner-14068

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:29 pm

I have made chestnut bourgignon a few times.
I can dig the recipe out if you think it might hit the spot.

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:13 pm

I had a friend with a sensitivity to the solanum family ... she suffered excruciating pain and inflammation from arthritis in her joints if she ate any of them. She and her OH often came to supper ... I relied on nuts, pulses, mushrooms and root vegetables, and of course fresh fruit, when feeding her. ... I quite enjoyed the challenge 8-)

Fortunately I never had to provide her with breakfast (she wasn't at her most congenial in the morning :shock: :lol: ) I think oats and fruit of some sort and a non dairy milk ought to suffice.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 pm

There's a really nice and quite filling sweet potato and cashew soup, the former cooked with carrot, onion & ginger then liquidised with coconut milk. Seasoned with soy sauce. The cashews coated in soy sauce and roasted, added like croutons to the soup, which is sprinkled with chopped coriander. This is quite substantial if eaten with bread.

I often make whack-a-mole without tomato, but imagine that most brands contain it and probably chilli too.

Presumably spiciness from ginger, peppercorns or horseradish/wasabi is OK. On that note, veggie sushi is dead easy to do, vegan and impressive to look at. I fill the rolls with carrot, cucumber, avocado and peppers but of course you don't have to have the latter. Radish would work, different coloured carrots might make an impact.

HTH :D

Postby Kacey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:25 pm

How about a Lebanese style mezze? I've done it for breakfast and dinner in the past. Along with hummus, you could do something like roast cauliflower with tahini sauce, griddled halloumi (the vegan halloumi blocks aren't bad) couscous or mujaddara and some nice flat breads, mint tea goes down well too served in nice glasses.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 pm

Some lovely suggestions here.
i thought of something like Gado gado, because you can choose the veg to go in it. And you can make the peanut sauce without chilli for him - and add a bit for you if you like it (serve separately!!)

Let us know how it goes.

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:41 pm

A lot that I'd suggest has been mentioned. Can I add pasties/samosas. Also that standard Jus-Rol puff and short pastry is vegan so you can all be eating pie or saus rolls even if not necessarily the same ones if omnivores might grumble ;) The same with casseroles - many can be made with veg/pulses and with or without meat.

Pizzas, with pesto or white sauce on base (see recent white pizza thread). Lots of veg are not in the nightshade family of course.

Burgers, with or without crumb coating, can be various and fried, or baked if likely to fall apart, e.g. bean, lentil, chickpea, mushroom, cauli, mixed veg. Served in buns with relish plus chips and peas or salad.

Meze with humous, crudites, olives, radishes, artichoke hearts (tin), tsatsiki, dressed salad leaves and pita breads.

Desserts can be fruit or fruit crumble or pie, or cake made with vegan fat (some bought cakes//buns are vegan). Dark chocolate is vegan. Soya milk makes good custard using Bird's powder which is vegan. (Oat milk might work - I haven't tried it.) Almond milk is good for breakfast smoothies, e.g. that whizzed with four or more stoned dates and half a banana.

You can buy vegan yoghurt and vegan cheese from health food shops. I'm not a big fan of vegan cheese, although there is a thread on here somewhere with best suggested brands/types.

NB: Perhaps take special care not to mix utensils and keep the grill pan and grid clean of meat of course. Consider wrapping or covering veg, or do a rethink if it will take up meat smell of what else is in the oven.

I volunteer to buy food in if my expected vegan guests tell me what. Often they will happily cook their own grub so I happily leave them to it :)

Postby Meganthemog » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:55 pm

Thanks for all your lovely suggestions. I think I will probably go down the mushroom and cauliflower route as I don't like squashes of any description.
I have now been told that he is vegan because he has heard that it is better for the complexion -BUT some A lister has said that any nightshade veg is bad for it. Apparently he will eat EGGS! And he smokes! I will have to inform him that tobacco is a nightshade and is very bad for his complexion.
I have every sympathy if you have an allergy or intolerance. This guy doesn't have a skin complaint or condition.
I may just suggest he brings his own food then I won't have to worry!

But thank you all for your help!

Postby Seatallan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Meganthemog wrote:Thanks for all your lovely suggestions. I think I will probably go down the mushroom and cauliflower route as I don't like squashes of any description.
I have now been told that he is vegan because he has heard that it is better for the complexion -BUT some A lister has said that any nightshade veg is bad for it. Apparently he will eat EGGS! And he smokes! I will have to inform him that tobacco is a nightshade and is very bad for his complexion.
I have every sympathy if you have an allergy or intolerance. This guy doesn't have a skin complaint or condition.
I may just suggest he brings his own food then I won't have to worry!

But thank you all for your help!

That really is out the other side of irritating Megan.... :roll:
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:21 pm

I’m sorry ... with that information I’m afraid I’d suddenly develop a huuuuge intolerance of my own.

It’s that sort of idiocy that gives real vegans a bad name. :twisted:

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Oh for goodness sake!!!

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Eggs opens things up immensely.

I went on a residential writing course a few years ago and there was me, a gluten intolerant person, who was also diabetic (obvs not her fault!), someone who didn't like fish and someone who didn't like (any) vegetables?! The lady who was cookiing for us (and prided herself on gourmet 3 course meals every day - she'd spend all afternoon doing it, sometimes after a trip to a local market - we were in rural France) was exasperated. I think a vegetarian was bad enough but...

Postby Meganthemog » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Yes I'm afraid when I was told I did have a few choice words! I'm afraid I am already forming an opinion of him before I've even met him. I will just pour myself a large glass of wine and smile sweetly :wino

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:05 pm

Give him salad; he will be so pee'd off with a Greek salad and a slab of tofu, he won't come again

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox