Register

White Pizza

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

White Pizza

Postby mistakened » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:11 pm

Does anyone have any experience of making White Pizza. Most of the recipes that I can find seem involve Ricotta and/ or grated Mozzarella, not the most flavourful cheeses. Does anyone have any other ideas

Thanks, Moira

Re: White Pizza

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Never heard of this, so googled and found this:

https://www.allrecipes.com/gallery/white-pizza-recipes/

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:51 pm

I always have "white pizza" as I loathe tomatoes! I just use a selection of normal toppings but nearly always use anchovies to give a taste kick.
One that I particularly like is cheese, chopped garlic, thinly sliced onions and chopped green chillies. I brush the base with chilli oil before building it.

Postby mistakened » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:18 pm

Thanks Patsy, I must have missed those recipes when I googled

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:22 pm

Pizza Express used to have a selection with a thick, flavoursome bechamel sauce as the base and had things like mushrooms, garlic, pine nuts, spinach topped with cheese. It was delicious. There are, of course, all sorts of things you could add and use whatever cheese you like. They don't seem to do it any more.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:15 pm

SIL is vegetarian and dislikes tomato so she often spreads the base with pesto then applies whatever toppings she fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Yes, when I've seen white pizza it has usually had béchamel or something similarly creamy, like mascarpone or crème fraiche in place of the tomato, to prevent the bread dough from being too dry I suppose

This is the "white" offering from my local pizza pub
PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM (WHITE BASE), MASCARPONE, CARAMELISED RED ONION, ROCKET + MOZZARELLA

My favourite pizza there is not white, andno longer on the menu, but I think might be even nicer with mascarpone in place of the pomodoro, as the chunky bits of bulb fennel, onions,mozzarella, and fennel salami they topped it with didn't really need tomato sauce

Postby patpoyntz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:39 pm

I much prefer a white pizza, and I make mine with a thin layer...more of a smear actually...of seasoned creme fraiche. For toppings, very thinly sliced red onion rings, very thin slices of potato, and a few thin slices of salami or Parma ham. Cheese optional!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:47 pm

Yes in France you can get pizzas with creme fraiche quite easily.
I found it a bit odd at first, but do like them. It was just that I wasn't expecting it, that's all.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pm

Great link there Patsy :thumbsup !.

Hubby, and myself to some extent, have some "issues" with tomato based foods (I will eat some now and again and suffer but he for the most part won't). I have a bag of pizza flour waiting to be turned into pizza's and have been toying with the idea of white pizza but didn't quite know how.....I'm no longer clueless!

Thanks for asking the question Moira.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Pizza Express used to have a selection with a thick, flavoursome bechamel sauce as the base and had things like mushrooms, garlic, pine nuts, spinach topped with cheese. It was delicious. There are, of course, all sorts of things you could add and use whatever cheese you like. They don't seem to do it any more.

That was my favourite pizza there but not seen it on the menu for a long time.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Suelle » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:16 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Yes in France you can get pizzas with creme fraiche quite easily.
I found it a bit odd at first, but do like them. It was just that I wasn't expecting it, that's all.

The Alsace region of France is famed for it's Tarte Flambée (Flammekeuche if you cross the border). A very basic 'pizza' with creme fraiche, onions and bacon.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Yes in France you can get pizzas with creme fraiche quite easily.

Of course, the Alsatian tarte flambée aka Flammekuchen is a kind of white pizza on a very thin and crispy base

Snap Suelle, but will post for recipe :hi5:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... ity-cloake

Postby Binky » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:21 pm

We received today a pizza cookbook and the recipes are mainly Finnish. They use cream cheese a lot as bases for many pizzas - here's one but without the method so as not to break copyright guidelines

Postby Binky » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:27 pm

also, here's a short video showing how to make Flammkuchen.

https://uk.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/tradi ... lammkuchen

We have bought the Ooni pizza oven but can't use it yet as no peel or suitable table delivered today.They are on back-order apparently. How very annoying.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:38 pm

I've got an Alsace recipe book (thin one from the tourist office type of thing) somewhere.
I'll have a look and see if Felicity is spot on or not).

Hmmmmmm - that's a bit much, Binky.
Off to have a look at your Ooni thread.

Postby Binky » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:39 pm

All the things we wanted and ordered were available on the website. It's only when you've paid and the confirmation comes through that you are told some things are 'unavailable'. Or on back-order and will be delivered as soon as they become available. Until then we will have to drag out an old camping table and use that. We'll have to have a think about how to cook the pizza itself.
:?

Postby patpoyntz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:48 pm

I don’t know if it is true, but I read that there was masses of Ooni stuff stuck either on the ‘Evergiven’ or on one of the ships held up the wrong side of it.
I don’t know where they are made.
I’ve heard they are very good and I’d be very tempted to get one if I didn’t already have a large igloo/oven type built in to the patio...present from hell!!!

Postby patpoyntz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 pm

I don’t always use our peel Binky....I put the shaped dough on a completely flat baking tray and put the topping on, if the tray has a lip, I turn it over to the flat side, and I use a liberal dusting for rice flour , which I have found the best thing to shuffle the pizza into the oven. The baking tray has to fit the opening of course...and use good oven gloves for the ‘shove’. For getting it out put the baking tray at the entrance and pull the pizza forward with a long bbq type fork. And use this for turning the pizza if necessary during the cooking.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 pm

I’m pretty sure I’ve had a carbonara pizza a few times before, possibly at Pizza Express. I used to like their white pizza topped with a baked egg and asparagus too.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox