Register

Angelica

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Angelica

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:44 pm

cherrytree wrote:Sometimes we come to Calais and stay in an eccentric but nice hotel
there.

I bet that's Hotel Meurice _ we've stayed there - very quirky!

I miss doing the Calais shop - a day trip for us as not too long a drive down to Folkstone from Brighton - there was a time when Auchan & Carrefour were almost our local supermarkets we went so often!

cherrytree wrote:My husband is a serious wine buyer so we bring quite a bit home

Snap...............!!!!

Postby herbidacious » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm

We started doing day trips to Pas de Calais in 2019 and the last time we were in France was an over nighter (I recommend Castel des Anges in Wailly-Beaucamp whole-heartedly. Just gorgeous, if you like French slightly camp semi faux old style.) There are some interesting things and really nice bits of coastal scenery going south from Calais. Boulogne market is quite nice too. Its not super exciting but some standards, but I am Francophile enough to be happy just being there. We had a nice trip to Le Touquet one time too. It does help if the sun is out, but our last trip was in torrential rain. I still have a lovely time.

When we started house hunting back in 2006 we looked at Brittany. Normandy was more affordable but being able to get there in a a reasonable amount of time was always a priority (although doing a weekend is pushing it) and the shop on the way home is an important part of it all. I treat it as my weekly shop with extras. Wine is not a big factor in this, so all the more room for food :) Our fridge smells like the cheese aisle in a French supermarket after we get back :)

Maybe we can do an overnighter this year... who knows. We have booked a tunnel crossing for mid August that would enable us to stay for 7 days.

We used to do the overnighter ferry either St Malo or Caen, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to get a cabin for this back in 2019 so we started to do the tunnel more. (BF owe us, actually.) Obviously this is much cheaper too. (Especially as I need my own cabin if I am to have any sleep. I realized after I stopped drinking that that awful hollow feeling rather too early in the morning, when one has to get up after a night crossing, was as much to do with not enough sleep as it was to do with the wine inevitably consumed in our excitement and joy at being on the way to France the night before!)

Postby cherrytree » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:11 pm

No it’s the Hotel Particulier Richelieu opposite the park near the museum. Benoit is the proprietor. He been doing it up for years. He’s very nice. It’s very convenient for the Histoire Ancienne restaurant in the parallel street.

Postby cherrytree » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:12 pm

I’ll look up the hotel des anges

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox