Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 6

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 6

Postby Seatallan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm

I love 4711. I adored the actual 4711 shop in Cologne when best friend and I went there for a city break some years ago.

Sounds like Bushey Park is turning into Weedy Park! :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:49 pm

Seatallan wrote:I love 4711. I adored the actual 4711 shop in Cologne when best friend and I went there for a city break some years ago.

Sounds like Bushey Park is turning into Weedy Park! :)

Except Bushey Park is actually in Richmond ... nowhere near Bushey ;) ;)

I too love the smell of 4711 and it will always remind me of my very first paid holiday job as my weekly wage as £4.11s.7d ... :thumbsup

Postby Seatallan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:07 pm

Whoops! I meant to say Bushey rather than Bushey Park but had a 'Pavlov's Dog' moment because we used to go to Bushey Park quite often! Thanks Patsy :D :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:19 pm

My grandma used to use Kölnisch Wasser. Not sure which one. I think probably 4711. M y sister and I were a little obsessed with it. Sibling went through a (loving all things) German phase :) And where I she went, I often followed in my desire to get her to like me.. (Although I never really caught the Heathcliffe obsession...)

I don't have a problem hugging children. Not that I have any to hug any more. All my friends' children have grown up. My 7 year old nephew in law won't even look me in the eye or talk to me let alone hug.
But thinking about this, I probably wouldn't initiate a hug even with a child I knew well (others not at all, of course.) When I volunteered in the school, children I worked with would often run up to me and hug me, which was nice but really not allowed. Children's hugs are not (just) greetings though, usually, but sheer affection.

My mother said her mother never hugged her so she said she went out to the way to hug us. Which actually sounds quite odd in retrospect.

I have had wall to wall meetings all morning. I am shattered. I am trying to summon up the energy/inclination to dig up three rhubarb plants. (I think three, not sure.) I am giving all but one away, but the main disincentive, apart from being tired, is what to do with the one I keep.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:21 pm

Ha during meeting number two, Basil was brought back from the vet's (and he has now been given a bill of health.) He came as sat next to me then proceeded to go completely bonkers, attacking the sette, my books, his tail, purring loudly and occasionally meowing... It was most distracting.
He then went out, and came back in looking like he'd been up a chimney. He's settled down next to me again now. He's still filthy inspite of using the furminator on him!

Postby Busybee » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:18 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I inherited a bottle of 4711 from my mother (who died 20 years ago!). I've always loved it. I still like a dab or two on a hot day, the bottle will probably see me out too - I should bequeath it to DD :lol:.

It’s the smell of my beloved Nanny, I was only talking to DS about it earlier this week. Saying that even blindfolded if I smelt it, it would take me right back to her house. I suggested that my smell would be Eternity, he laughed and said I just smelt of Mum. ;)

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:49 pm

I had a smaple sized bottle when I was small, I think I was as much fascinated by the baroque packaging as the fragrance

Postby Uschi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:55 pm

Legend has it that when Napoleon's troops stood at the gates of Cologne, the mayor shouted at them to stop shooting, as there were people who might get hurt. Next he sent someone with the key to the city so to speak. They surrendered peacefully and thus the French came in fairly orderly. Nevertheless, the Code Napoleon was enforced and streets were named and houses numbered. 4711 was the number of the house of the original owner, I think.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:57 pm

I have had the second lovely day of the week. Number 2 DD brought her two children over to play. I haven’t seen them since November. It was absolutely lovely, (although I’m a bit knackered now and quite glad they’ve gone home). OH has already forgotten they have been.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 pm

I loved the packaging too. And I was tempted to buy some for nostalgia's sake last time I was in Köln. Hmm. Maybe I did...

Glad you had a nice day, PP.

Both my mother and husband had vaccine no.2 today. My mother's had been scheduled for the 21st of April.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:31 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I have had the second lovely day of the week. Number 2 DD brought her two children over to play. I haven’t seen them since November. It was absolutely lovely, (although I’m a bit knackered now and quite glad they’ve gone home). OH has already forgotten they have been.

Fab, PP :thumbsup :thumbsup

Even if he forgot straight away, was OH at least able to enjoy them while they were there?

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 pm

He seemed pleased to see them. And yes, he's forgotten now.

Postby Uschi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:57 pm

PP, if he was pleased the happiness hormones will linger still, even if the memory is gone. That's something, at least. :newhuggy

Axel will start his BCG treatment next week, so no vaccination for him for the next eight weeks. And I am not due for ages yet, either, so roll on summer.

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:53 am

i have a couple of inherited bottles (from father outlaw) of 4711 in the bathroom and a spray of the 'ice' variant in a cupboard, given to me years ago. they probably don't smell as they did!

how about a game ?
bean or stone?

bean .jpg
bean .jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 99 times

both sides of the bean and the stone are shown - sorry, couldn't find a penny but the farthing is almost the same size!

Postby Pampy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:03 am

herbidacious wrote:Ha during meeting number two, Basil was brought back from the vet's (and he has now been given a bill of health.) He came as sat next to me then proceeded to go completely bonkers, attacking the sette, my books, his tail, purring loudly and occasionally meowing... It was most distracting.
He then went out, and came back in looking like he'd been up a chimney. He's settled down next to me again now. He's still filthy inspite of using the furminator on him!

Sounds like he's feeling a lot better! Go, Basil!

Postby Rainbow » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:32 am

I had my first AZ vaccination yesterday - I think I was lucky to get it as the rollout here is going VERY slowly.
The PM 'promised' 4 million injections by the end of March and so far they've done less than 1 million!! Lack of supplies from overseas and the
local production of the AZ vaccine is still very slow.
And yesterday they decided not to give people under 50 the AZ jab because of the blood clot scare - but they haven't got any supplies of anything else, as far as I can gather!! The Govt. is not being at all transparent about what the situation really is. :?

Postby mistakened » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:17 am

Good Morning Campers, we actually get to go out and see different people this morning, suitably protected of course, Hurrah

Moira :mug:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:59 am

Morning folks. Nothing really to report, still actively filling up black sacks. It’s sunnyish at the moment but cold. I’ve been putting off collecting my prescription because of the gales but I’m afraid that I can’t any longer.

I really wanted to go yesterday because from today they’re giving out the covid tests an there may be a queue but it was really cold and windy. Problem is that it’s inside Sainsbury’s so if it gets too busy they might be queuing outside as well.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby icelesley » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:00 am

Good Morning campers. It's raining. OH had his second jab yesterday, he is not showing any reaction at all. :thumbsup

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:00 am

Morning.
Yes, raining again. I want to go home.
I love the peace and quiet here and lay awake this morning listening to bird song and lambs.
My friend in Australia was also bemoaning the state of the vaccination programme... or lack of it. She has at least been able to fly to Melbourne to stay with a friend and go out for swanky meals though.
I don't envy you NLB, queuing outside in the cold and rain is one aspect of life that i try and avoid too. Good luck there.
I think, despite the many mistakes made, (I hope lessons have been learned) our various leaders have acted quite well on the vaccination front.
Have a good day everyone

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox