Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 6

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 6

Postby Busybee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 pm

No ear syringing been done around here for a long time. I went to Specsavers for micro suction last October. Very professional. £55, with a ‘no wax no fee’ clause.

Snow here this afternoon, pooch still cold shouldering me. Now to collect a urine sample from said pooch. Not easy.

BB

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm

The things you learn here!
And i read that Morrisons are selling different fish spices, until i read it again and the penny dropped. Species!

Our walk was in the balmy heat of a 3c gale and sleet. 4 happy dogs and warm hoomans. Heating on and a g and t to hand. Well, we are on holiday

Postby Seatallan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:28 pm

Sloe, we'll be joining you in a tick!! :cocktail:

Just returned from a totally wonderful fell walk above Ullswater, followed by return to Patterdale along the lakeside path. Weather was typical for April really- combination of snow and hail flurries, fast moving clouds, really warm sunshine and bitingly cold wind. Everything looked beautiful. Couldn't have been better. SO glad we moved up here!! :D Will post some pics tomorrow. Now for a splendid evening to celebrate our anniversary. Thanks for the good wishes all! :newhuggy :wave:
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 pm

Younger son has been here all afternoon. Working from home but is finding his new flat is very expensive to heat!

He’s 29, 30 in July and had his vaccination last week. Even I was surprised!

Aero, there were an awful lot of fire engines, police vehicles at the scene.

I had to pay for the last earwax too. Can’t remember how much but it was at least five years ago.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:43 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Oh dear - I shouldn't laugh but that is quite funny :newhuggy

Yes, I could see the funny side too 8-). I've done better this afternoon, spent an hour or so in the garden filling pots with soil & compost and having a good sweep up and it wasn't bad though I needed a coat. Just got in and it snowed again - really hard so that it settled for a short while. Sun again now. Gosh, Seatallen, your walk sounded nice - and bracing!

Wow Herbi! You have been so busy!! I dream of being a gardener strolling round in a floaty dress and straw sunhat strolling round with a trug (not today when you need a warm coat, obviously) but it only ever seems to be endless moving soil and sweeping. I suppose people like that have someone in to do the dirty work.

Oooh, Gruney mentioned different fish in Morrisons too.

Good luck BB :? !!

PP - glad you had a visitor! Good thing you kept the fire going. Perhaps his job or a health issue allows him to have early jabs? You must be glad anyway! DS is the only one in our family too young to have one yet and IMO needs it most as his job entails going to so many places each day. He should be in the first under 50 group :crossed.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Yes sorting out the garden sometimes feels like a Sisyphean task, as does the house. I don't think I will ever get to the floating around with a trug stage (or house equivalent... what would that be?!) I may be getting some (paid) help though. Fingers crossed. She is visiting next week to assess things.

I did the gardening in a short sleeved t-shirt after a bit, but I was moving around a lot and lifting things and digging. I think the reason I like pricking things out and sowing is because I can do it sitting down. I do things quite slowly. I make myself, because I have a tendency to do things too quickly (especially things I don't like doing and want to get over and done with) and make mistakes, plus I think it adds to the 'mindfulness' calming effect of it all. I sometimes catch myself doing Margot Leadbetter style gardening, though. (You know, the episode where she helps out after they have a catastrophic rain fall and it's all hands to the deck) i.e. I could speed up do more than one thing at a time.
I have to say I had a few seconds of calm pleasure today, even hauling things around today. I have be really very low of late so this is very welcome (and never expected or taken for granted.)

Rhubarb is chopped. But is there room in the freezer? I will be cropping more too this week, as was advised before moving it.

OH has had his call for his second Pfizer (they specified - one friend has AZ for her first and Pfizer for her second) vaccine on Friday. My mother's second one is not until the 21st. I was listening to stuff on the radio about blood clots and AZ... Meanwhile Lily was on my knee watching the radio intently :lol: Daft cat.

Postby aero280 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 pm

There has been a comment (unconfirmed at the moment) on the local residents website that the house fire that closed the road in Bushey Heath today was caused by a failure in the heating needed to promote some "indoor agriculture" :o

I hope the emergency services didn't inhale the smoke!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLuZCh28MkQ

[edit] Road has reopened. But the site is now being described as a "crime scene". :o

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:38 pm

Gosh aero! One of the posher parts too!

Postby Pampy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:56 am

Busybee wrote:No ear syringing been done around here for a long time. I went to Specsavers for micro suction last October. Very professional. £55, with a ‘no wax no fee’ clause.

Snow here this afternoon, pooch still cold shouldering me. Now to collect a urine sample from said pooch. Not easy.

BB

No NHS ear syringing here either for a number of years. I've seen a couple of home made signs advertising the service - one is at a set of traffic lights that I occasionally go through so have been able to read it properly while waiting for the lights to change. It says that it's done by a nurse with 15 years experience - and costs £15.

I used to have to regularly collect urine samples from one of my cats. We settled on me shoving a plant pot base under her as soon as she squatted and removing it as soon as she'd finished (before she started to cover it up). She used to give me some very dirty looks but learned to tolerate the intrusion into her bathroom routine.

Postby mistakened » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:20 am

Good Morning Campers, it is going to be warm here today 27 C so I have taken a long sleeved cotton shirt out of the wardrobe. Don't get excited, we are back down to 17 C on Saturday. When Deb emerges from the shower, I will discuss the possibility of some sort of salad for supper

Moira :mug:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 am

Morning all. A heavy frost overnight and it feels cold up in my loft where the radiator doesn’t work properly. :?

Something lovely happened to me yesterday. I had a call from my best friend saying she was passing on the way to taking her brother home after the Easter break and could she knock as she had something for me. Well, I was speechless. She’s been painting in a Zoom class as therapy through the lockdown and had created a watercolour based on some photos I took at Borough Market just before Covid. She’s been painting three of them and has framed and dedicated the first one to me. I am so incredibly touched as it must have taken hours and hours but we are now, apparently, forming a hobby posse and will go on the odd adventure. I’ll photograph and she’ll paint the results of any she fancies Neither of us are that good but of course it really doesn’t matter.

I had something in my eye when she left. :cry:

Postby Suffs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Cotton shirtsleeves would be nice Moira :mrgreen: ... it’s going to be warm vests and winter woollies here ... all horizontal surfaces are covered with granular snow ... it looks like polystyrene balls but it’s hard and gritty Brrr!

How lovely Pepper ... and what a team you’re going to make :thumbsup

Here a warming macaroni cheese will be made for supper, followed by rhubarb and yoghurt. Apart from that, I have some boring paperwork to read ... :roll: I will then reward myself by reading something interesting 8-)

Postby mistakened » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:54 am

Suffs wrote:Cotton shirtsleeves would be nice Moira
It will be back to several layers including a cardigan by Saturday. Last Friday morning there was fresh snow on the mountains. April weather in Cyprus is changeable

It has been decided that we shall have Quiche Lorraine for supper, I must get eggs out of the fridge.

Moira

Postby icelesley » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:05 am

Good Morning campers. We had snow yesterday afternoon :o It's a tad warmer this morning, but still cardigan weather. Frankie is hugging the radiator. Roll on summer :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:20 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Morning all. A heavy frost overnight and it feels cold up in my loft where the radiator doesn’t work properly. :?

Something lovely happened to me yesterday. I had a call from my best friend saying she was passing on the way to taking her brother home after the Easter break and could she knock as she had something for me. Well, I was speechless. She’s been painting in a Zoom class as therapy through the lockdown and had created a watercolour based on some photos I took at Borough Market just before Covid. She’s been painting three of them and has framed and dedicated the first one to me. I am so incredibly touched as it must have taken hours and hours but we are now, apparently, forming a hobby posse and will go on the odd adventure. I’ll photograph and she’ll paint the results of any she fancies Neither of us are that good but of course it really doesn’t matter.

I had something in my eye too when I read your post PP. What a lovely, and loving, bond you both have and how incredibly thoughtful of your friend. I'm sure that the hobby posse will be a fantastic way to take your mind off your caring responsibilities for a while.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 am

Morning all :wave: from a very bright but frosty Harefield.

Pepper Pig wrote:Morning all. A heavy frost overnight and it feels cold up in my loft where the radiator doesn’t work properly. :?

How lovely PP ... it's the thought that counts in these instances isn't it?

I have read and heard about Michael Moseley's new podcast 'Just One Thing' .... (it was published in his column in Saturday's mail, then he was on the Morning Show on Monday promoting it)

So, this morning's 'thing' was to brush my teeth while balancing on one leg (much harder than it appears and I have been doing regular balancing at the end of a Fitseps class :roll: :shock: ) and a 30 second blast of cold water after a shower (I started by gradually turning the temperature down until it was icy, but only managed about 15 seconds) Once the kitchen is finished I intend to try the 30 minute brisk walk within 2 hours of waking which apparently helps with sleep problems at night.
I have all the the good intentions, but my commitment level is about zero these days :( :thumbsdown

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:48 am

How delightful,PP, to think of adventures again. What a team you'll make.
That all sounds very worthy, Patsy, do let us know how you get on.
We may go home today.
Whilst the appeal of caravanning in the snow was romantic, the reality is somewhat different. Neither of us is sleeping and the practalities of emptying the loo and filling the water are not good.
The snow is not deep, but deep enough to be slippy.
That's if we can get off the grass we're parked on.

Postby mistakened » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 am

An Interesting side effect from Covid. A lot of plants and other horticultural products are imported from Europe, Israel is also a major importer. Because of Covid the stuff just isn't coming, I am having to buy parsley, not pick it out of the trough, you cannot buy parsley plants or seed, ditto basil
Yesterday Deb was walking Pug past some new build houses, one has a contractor planting up the garden. All the plants are native, none of the usually showier imports. I wonder how long this will continue?

Moira

Postby scullion » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 am

good morning, all.
overcast with some 'peeks' of sun. there was a 30% threat of rain for today, last night, but that has now disappeared.
we have rushed out for late walks, the last two evenings. it's been low tide shortly before sunset, plus high, low tides, so not the longest of walks - but better than nothing - and bracing in the onshore breeze.
the car park at the beach is usually free between the end of october until the beginning of april. last year, with lockdown it remained free all year (the council missed out on a fortune between first and second lockdown). the machine has been changed over to, i think, the electronic kind and still have the covers on.
when i was down there yesterday morning (meeting up for a very long 'car' chat with a friend) there were a couple of council workers down, measuring up for some reason. they said the car park would still be free for a little while. maybe the machines's covers will come off at the end of the month when visitors are legally allowed to return (that doesn't mean that some aren't already here - they are noticeable - they don't try very hard to merge in - i wonder if they think do...).
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Suffs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:04 am

We were watching Canal Boat Diary last night Sloe ... we both felt that the life looked romantic ... in the summertime ... DS confirms that life aboard a metal-hulled box of whatever shape in the winter is cold and damp ... whatever you do about the heating ... as someone who started married life in a residential caravan while doing up an old house, I agree ... I vote you head home to 'warm and dry' and 'not slippy' ... sumer is icumen in ... you can be at the caravan in the sunshine very soon.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox