Register

What do you buy for Easter?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What do you buy for Easter?

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:14 pm

It always used to be salmon on Good Friday and lamb on Sunday.

Then we discovered caravanning.... then grandkids appeared, so feasts were barbeques (weather dependent), buffets or picnics.

This year, we may be 'permitted' on stay in our caravan (legally; we live in Wales and it is sited in Wales) but I doubt the relaxed meals with friends and family will return soon.

So we want a 'special' meal on Easter Sunday, to hopefully celebrate being in the hills and being 'togevver'!

Do you have a 'special' Easter meal?
I have a pretty good range of cooking 'appliances' at the van, ranging from a gas hob/oven, slow cooker/halogen oven/induction hob/bbq/husband

Re: What do you buy for Easter?

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Sounds lovely SG, but this is a household of no faith so we don't particularly mark Easter.
Other than the odd fruit teacake I suppose ;)

I guess the traditional dinner for this time of year is lamb.
I like a shoulder, liberally rubbed with spices and roasted for hours

Usually served with simple potatoes - new ones if I can get them - and some spring greens.

If the weather is good and we can eat outside it's likely to be quiche or fish.

Not really answered your question, have I?

Postby herbidacious » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:20 pm

We don't really. We always used to go to France. Perhaps we will this year. Not sure what though. It's hard enough coming up with a traditional but vegetarian treat for Christmas day :?

I was just looking at photos of my French house and there was a photo of a very large thick onion tart. Maybe something like that with new potatoes and whatever fresh seasonal veg is around in, er two weeks :o It's OH's birthday a week after though.

Postby scullion » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 pm

As we, too, don't eat the Easter bunny or lamb of god and are atheist (except when there's a need to say 'oh my god') we buy nothing really different from normal - except the seasonal, continental, chocolate treats that come into lidl.

Postby Suffs » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 pm

We don’t do religion either ‘apart from the art and the music’ but some other family members do, so in normal times we might have made a bit more of Easter Sunday than other Sundays .., but as we won’t be seeing anyone except each other we’ll do our normal ‘nice Sunday roast’ ... not sure what we’ll have yet ... possibly a small piece of lamb or even a couple or Barnsley chops, or a piece of local pork with crackling, or a good farm chicken. I’ll probably do a Click
& Collect at the local farm shop next week ish.

Our main reason to celebrate on Easter Sunday is that this year, as sometimes happens, it will also be DD’s birthday ... so I have a card to make and a present to organise ... any other year we’d have a family get together with cake ...

Postby Busybee » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:58 pm

I normally host the extended family and we have a turkey dinner.

Obviously not happening this year, but two families can meet outside. So my sister and I are contemplating having an afternoon tea of sorts outside, but it’s weather dependant so who knows? We are going to leave it to the last minute on the basis that it doesn’t take long to do if we split the cooking. She will do sandwiches and sausage rolls, I’m on scones and I’ll bake a chocolate cake.

Anyone made scones and frozen them unbaked? Do you thaw or cook from frozen? Timing?

BB

Postby Suelle » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:48 pm

Easter weekend is usually a reason for inviting the children round for a meal, but the most we'll manage this year is tea and cakes in the garden if the weather is good enough. If it's not, I'll bake anyway and deliver cake to them, as they both live within walking distance.

An Easter meal would usually be a roast dinner and a chocolate dessert. I bought a shoulder of lamb for Christmas which ended up in the freezer - I hoped it could be used at Easter but it will have to stay where it is a bit longer.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:09 am

Apart from hor cross buns, there are few constants. Egg and soldiers for breakfast of course

I tend to cook lamb if at home, I have cooked a turkey for a big crowd, I’ve often been away so eating whatever is provided, and in recent years there has been a bit of a traditional of having a barbecue at my friends’ house just up the hill

I wasn’t brought up with the Good Friday (or any Friday) fish tradition but have several times cooked fish pie for people I thought would appreciate it

For me these are seasonal and folk traditions rather than part of religious observance

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:15 am

Stokey Sue wrote: For me these are seasonal and folk traditions rather than part of religious observance

I agree.

It will just be another day this year but if I was entertaining it would be a lamb or chicken roast dinner. The last of the Hot Cross buns would be toasted for breakfast and with the afternoon cuppa there'd be a lemon cake with yellow icing decorated with mini eggs and fake lemon slices.

We never did fish on Good Friday either but I rather like it because it adds variety to the weekend.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:59 am

Stokey Sue wrote:For me these are seasonal and folk traditions rather than part of religious observance

Same. Although my daughter does go to a village church school so we embrace some of the traditions organised through them.

I like lamb at Easter and last year we had fish and chips delivered on good Friday. For the last few years we’ve set up an egg hunt in the garden. Last year it was just us of course, but we will be able to have my sister, bil, niece and nephew round in the garden this year.

My sister is making chocolate nest cakes and I’m going to put together a fruit platter. If the weather is looking nice they might stay longer and we’ll bbq. Perhaps a butterflied leg of lamb.

Aldi usually have their ribs of beef back in stock for Easter so I’ll keep an eye out for those and get one for the freezer. They are great value.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:29 pm

A non-food personal tradition is that I like to have a bunch of anemones, but have found them very hard to find as cut flowers in recent years

Postby liketocook » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm

We like to have a large family gathering on Easter Sunday with either lamb, salmon or ham or sometimes a combination depending on numbers. If the weather is decent I'll make salads to have with it and if not roasties and cauli cheese usually feature. Of course this year as last that won't be happening.
Decorated hard boiled eggs were a must when the kids were small but these days a plate of devilled eggs go down well.

Postby scullion » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:53 pm

will these do, sue?
Last edited by scullion on Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:43 pm

scullion wrote:will these do, sue?

Thank you!

Postby MagicMarmite » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:56 pm

My Mum would have loved that they were her favourite flowers.

Postby Suffs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:28 pm

Ma wanted anemones for their wedding on 4 March, but it was not long after WW2 and there were no heated glasshouses and there was a frost so no growers had anemones ........ every year after that Pa would buy her a bunch of anemones for their anniversary ... when he was frail and unable to do it we made sure that the local florist had a posy of anemones to deliver on the day for him to give her.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:48 pm

My wedding flowers included blue anemones (we married in early April). The florist (who was lovely) was a real Mrs Malaprop and always referred to said flowers as 'Blue Enema's'. We still chuckle about it. :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:19 pm

This year, I don´t think Easter will be any different from last year (which I spent alone!).
Covid cases have spiked here; according to the government of the UVSR, we had 1,116 new cases yesterday. According to the Vzlan Medical Committee, multiply that by 4...
So Easter Sunday - probably nothing, although I just acquired 3 kgs of fresh salmon, so we´ll do something wonderful with that.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:50 pm

In a normal year we might have a nice bit of fish for Good Friday and a roast on Sunday, maybe slow cooked shoulder of lamb, or beef if the outlaws were coming over. However, we had half a goose at Christmas, and the other half is in the freezer, so this year it will be roast goose for Easter. Something seasonal for pud, probably rhubarb related. The Simnel cake is made.

Postby Meganthemog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:03 pm

I've recently been buying lamb rump joints from our local butcher, and they are fabulous. Enough for 2 people and they cook in about 30 minutes. I will probably do one of these for DD and OH while GS and I will have pasta and cheese! I have been eating less and less meat over the last year or so and GS isn't very fond of meat so we don't push it. However he is a real cheese mouse and would eat it at every meal if he could.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox