Register

Slow Cooker conundrum

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Slow Cooker conundrum

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:21 pm

I want to watch the football on tv, on Sunday, and don't really want to be worrying about getting my dinner ready. I'll have a spare pork chop by then, and thought of the SC - I have a book of SC recipes for. one. The book recommends using a 1.5l cooker - I have one - the cooking pot is shaped like a flower pot. I have not come across any other shape for 1.5l.
The recipe I've seen which would be just the job, is for a braised pork chop, which, clearly, would have to stand upright. The liquid is 2 tbsps each of water,white wine and double cream, plus half a tin of chopped tomatoes. I've always believed that the liquid should be sufficient to cover meat - clearly, only the bottom inch of the chop will be immersed. I've used a SC many times, but never for braising - does this arrangement seem right, please?

Oh - and be sure to give a shout for the Foxes!

Re: Slow Cooker conundrum

Postby liketocook » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:42 pm

Gruney I seldom cover meat when slow cooking it, in fact I add as little liquid as possible and sometimes none at all so I think you should be fine.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Same as ltc. I use it more for chicken which gives off quite a lot of liquid as it cooks. The chop probably would too.
The only thing is, that the part that is exposed may be drier than that which is in the liquid. Not unpleasant but something to bear in mind depending on your expectations.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:22 pm

Thanks both - that's exactly what I was hoping for. :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:24 pm

I’m late to this party ... but I agree with everyone :thumbsup

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks, Suffs.

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 am

I've no idea about slow cookers, but could you not turn the chop upside down once or twice during cooking? You could debone it I suppose but leave the bone in the pot.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:59 am

Confused of Harefield here ...

....so the pork chop is too large to lay flat on the bottom of the SC ? I would wonder if the meat would cook properly .. Could you not break the bone so that it fits ?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:59 pm

jeral wrote:I've no idea about slow cookers, but could you not turn the chop upside down once or twice during cooking? You could debone it I suppose but leave the bone in the pot.

I didn't think you were supposed to open the lid during slow cooking as you lose heat which has taken a long time to accumulate.

Postby Suffs » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:16 pm

I think the chop will cook just fine. I frequently cook a whole chicken in a slow cooker with virtually no additional liquid ... the whole chicken cooks, not just the bottom bit ... it cooks in the heat of the steam.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:37 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
jeral wrote:I've no idea about slow cookers, but could you not turn the chop upside down once or twice during cooking? You could debone it I suppose but leave the bone in the pot.

I didn't think you were supposed to open the lid during slow cooking as you lose heat which has taken a long time to accumulate.

I've never found that to be a problem.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:10 pm

I frequently cook a whole chicken in a slow cooker with virtually no additional liquid ... the whole chicken cooks, not just the bottom bit ... it cooks in the heat of the steam.

It's my favourite way of doing pheasant or partridge, sat on a few chunks of root veg with a drop of stock and wine. The meat is always tender and the veg & juices liquidise into a lovely gravy. :yum

Postby Suffs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
I frequently cook a whole chicken in a slow cooker with virtually no additional liquid ... the whole chicken cooks, not just the bottom bit ... it cooks in the heat of the steam.

It's my favourite way of doing pheasant or partridge, sat on a few chunks of root veg with a drop of stock and wine. The meat is always tender and the veg & juices liquidise into a lovely gravy. :yum

Same here :yum

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox