Register

Chilli con carne

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chilli con carne

Postby scullion » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:30 pm

if you don't double the spice quantities along with the other ingredients you are just diluting them and losing the flavour. they don't get enhanced in the freezer.
if you're doubling the recipe, double everything.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:46 pm

Thanks, Scully - I made that mistake with thyme or sage, once, and the memory's stuck with me. Thanks again.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:01 pm

You could happily double the amount of spices in that recipe, Gruney. The only thing I´d be careful about are the fresh green chiles, depending on your "heat" tolerance level!

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Thanks kkd.

Postby carrotdill » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:18 pm

if it has beans it is chili con frijoles
not chili con carne,

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Karadekoolaid - one thing that strikes me about your recipe is only one can of beans to one of tomatoes and all those other ingredients, it seems a low proportion of beans compared to other recipes

carrotdill wrote:if it has beans it is chili con frijoles
not chili con carne,

Bearing in mind we are speaking British English, I think as I said chilli con carne is generally recognised here just as a particular style of stew, but obviously frijoles is correct

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:02 pm

I like chunks of roasted butternut in a veg chilli, along with everything else.

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:22 pm

I make a chilli con tuna - that's probably stretching the description a bit though! I use all the usual herbs and spices but the main ingredients are onions, mushrooms, red kidney beans and tuna. And absolutely no tomatoes.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 pm

Sue: yes, I suppose you could add more beans, especially if it´s a veggie version.
The other stuff you could put in there could be tofu ( never used it myself) or paneer cubes, for some extra protein.

Postby carrotdill » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:54 am

Pampy wrote:I make a chilli con tuna - that's probably stretching the description a bit though! I use all the usual herbs and spices but the main ingredients are onions, mushrooms, red kidney beans and tuna. And absolutely no tomatoes.

that would chile con atún for tuna
chili con pollo for chicken but still carne
chili con cabro for goat
chili con vaca for beef
chili con cordero for mutton
chili con champiñón for mushroom
chili con cerdo for pork
chili con pava for turkey

note i skipped gender specific ones for most animals.

Postby Kacey » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:17 am

This is the veggie chilli recipe I've part used the most, since I had the book years ago http://dinnerdujour.org/2009/09/18/blac ... cornbread/ These days I use the 'sauce' recipe for the base. add chopped peppers to te onions, and use whatever tinned beans I have to hand. Usually 1 tin of black beans and one of those smaller tins of mixed beans.

I have used lentils on an occasion when I'd started and realised I had no beans (happened once and never again!) The aubergine does work well, but I rarely use it in this recipe now as there's always something better to do with an aubergine.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 am

I grow black beans and borlotti amongst others, but no lentil type pulses or small beans equivalent to aduki, they have to be bought.

Mashed, cooked and indeed tinned beans can be added to tomato salsa as another variant. Sometimes we have another accompaniment. Red peppers and onion slices marinated in vinegar with some salt, sugar and cumin. The cumin seeds are fried in a little OO, the rest of the ingredients are added to the pan, simmered a bit and allowed to cool.

Off topic I suppose, occasionally I do the meat without beans as picadillo. There's an interesting venison version that Mrs B is fond of. If there are no beans in the main dish I'll sometimes make them separately, refried or as platanos con frijoles - with slices of fried plantain.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:30 am

that would chile con atún for tuna
chili con pollo for chicken but still carne
chili con cabro for goat
chili con vaca for beef
chili con cordero for mutton
chili con champiñón for mushroom
chili con cerdo for pork
chili con pava for turkey

Chicken would be described as "carne blanca" here. White meat.
Goat meat is more likely to be called "chivo"
No such thing as chile con vaca. It´s be Chile de Res if anything, but the name already exists as chile con carne!
And "pava" would be the female bird. Recipes most usually specify "pavo".

Postby jeral » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:41 pm

On topic, I came across this recipe for making mince "meat" with tofu crumbles (about 25% down the page):

"[i]Start by making the tofu crumbles

These tofu crumbles are perfectly seasoned and give this vegan chili a meaty texture. They’re also super easy to make!

Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix together the soy sauce, nutritional yeast, chili powder, and smoked paprika in a large bowl. Use your hands to crumble the firm tofu into the bowl and mix everything together.
Spread the tofu mixture in an even layer on your prepared pan. Place it in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once the tofu is in the oven, start the chili.[/i]"

The measurements and full chilli recipe are shown about half way down the page:
https://www.noracooks.com/ultimate-vegan-chili/

PS: I take nutritional yeast to mean Marmite.
PPS: US chilli is a spicy seasoning more akin to mild Mexican chillis, so reduce the amount quoted significantly.
---

This is completely off topic, but what would chilli with squirrel be called? As eaten by Det. Columbo in an episode where he travelled south from his native LA. Also, has fake meat shown its face in in Sth America yet?

Postby Amyw » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:56 pm

No, nutritional yeast is totally different to Marmite. You can buy it in most big supermarkets and us sold in tubs of powder or flakes. It's sometimes called nooch too. It's quite often used as a substitute for cheese in vegan dishes as it has that savoury unami flavour.

I love a vegetarian chilli. Really like the idea of roasted butternut squash in there. I love a square of dark chocolate in mine . Not a huge kidney bean fan so I tend to use black beans insteadc

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:58 pm

Marmite is yeast extract - this is an example of nutritional yeast https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Nutritional yeast is a 'natural yeast food grown on molasses' which is used a lot by vegans to supply vitamin B12 and other nutrients. I have had all sorts of experimental things made from it but just a thickner for casseroles, soups etc is a common use. It does have a vague background 'Marmite' taste but is nothing like it really and comes in flakes.

Ooh yes, Amy, I'd forgotten about being used as a cheese substitute in sauces etc. One of the things I tried was when someone had made 'cheese' you could cut with it and eat with crackers. It wasn't great.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:14 pm

Pampy wrote:Marmite is yeast extract - this is an example of nutritional yeast https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

Yup, Engevita, made by the same people as Marogold bouillon and often next to it on the shelf

There's a Moosewood recipe for making a "mince" by freezing and crumbling tofu, which I haven't done for ages, but is quite useful if you have bought one of those giant blocks from a Chinese supermarket and have some left over, basically just freeze, allow to thaw slowly and crumble

Like this
https://www.livestrong.com/article/5481 ... ound-beef/

Postby jeral » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:59 pm

I had a big tub of Engevita in the cupboard, until I chucked it. To me, it doesn't give a cheese taste nor add umami just tastes powdery and unpleasant. So, I'd either leave it out or use Marmite as I know it works e.g. for mushrooms and stuffings but it might be too syrupy for tofu crumbles.

You're right that nooch is what the recipe calls for as it gives a link to flakes. It's a big tub to buy if you don't like it though ;)

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:10 pm

what would chilli with squirrel be called?

Probably "disgusting!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
We get soya protein, in little 250 gm packets. That´s about it for Vzla.
However, I found loads of veggie/vegan products in Mexico last year, including "vegan chorizo". 8-)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox