Register

Paul Hollywood

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Paul Hollywood

Postby Binky » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Must confess this is someone I have heard of but never watched before. Last night there were two TV programmes which interested both of us as it was a travelogue of European cities -- 'Paul Hollywood City Bakes'.

Apart from the lovely city sights and wonderful old pastry/patisserie/cake shops, all we saw was him eating and looking ecstatic to camera. No recipes, no demonstration. Why is he so popular? At least Jamie on his travels shows us how to make a particular dish.

Re: Paul Hollywood

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Binky wrote:Why is he so popular?

A very good question!

He's quite good with bread-type demonstrations and I believe that some women found him attractive in the early days, something to do with his eyes.

I watched the series he did on Japan. It was so interesting and we saw aspects of Japanese life and cuisine that we don't often get to see. However, his attitude and manners were cringeworthy, I wouldn't want to watch him in Europe as I'm sure it's the same even though I'm sure he visits interesting places. No finesse whatsoever.

Postby Suffs » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:42 pm

He was ok when he was first on tv but he very soon started believing his own publicity and now I find him really cringe-making ... he undoubtedly knows how to make bread ... but if I saw him coming towards me I'd cross to the other side of the road rather than let him think I'd noticed him. :roll:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:51 pm

He was at a local food fayre - remember them.
All other clebs and chefs were relaxed and mixing. He strode everywhere with 2 bouncers/ personal security chaps.

Gino by contrast was all over everyone. He's a little taller than I thought.

Paul H simply filled a gap at the right time. You didn't have bread makers on telly when it became super popular in homes.

Postby Pampy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:17 pm

I've seen little of him but what I have seen, I really don't like. I think he's a baker who was given a role on The Great British Bake Off (another thing I don't like :lol: :lol: ) and it all went to his head and he started to believe the publicity about himself. His marriage ended (him playing away from home) and he had a high profile split up with a much younger girlfriend. I haven't watched either of his travel programmes but have read some quite negative reviews of his role in them. Not someone I would make any effort to watch on tv.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:43 pm

Hollywood.....?
:vomit

Can't watch him - He seriously makes my skin crawl - always has - a jumped up little nobody who thinks he's irresistible to women....yeah right.......unfortunately there are a lot of females out there ( of a certain age :roll: ) who agree with him.......... :lol: Saddos....... :lol:

Postby Suffs » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:44 pm

It appears that his most recent ‘amours’ have been much younger women in search of a ‘father figure’ with an elastic bank balance. Now that his ex wife has relieved him of most of his assets he seems to be proving less attractive.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:16 am

I am another who dislikes him. Who watches him then? That is a mystery.

Postby dennispc » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:24 am

‘In all the coverage I’ve seen about Paul Hollywood, I’ve never read that ten years ago he had a business that went bust.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -bill.html

Having been a small trader that bugs me.

As an employed baker he knew his stuff as he had a lot of experience. His recipes work. I went off him when, in one of his early tv series, he was emphatic about dried yeast and salt being on separate side of the bowl.

We haven't watched Bake Off for a long time, mainly because of him.

Postby miss mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:56 am

I didn't know that either. I think it was quite fashionable at the time, buy the fancy equipment, go bust then buy it cheap from the liquidators. Dreadful behaviour.

Postby scullion » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:21 pm

he makes me cringe in the same way that the man my aunt married (i won't call him my uncle) did when i was little...
i wouldn't care for his company - definitely not a boat floater! scunner.

Postby Binky » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:45 pm

dennispc wrote:‘In all the coverage I’ve seen about Paul Hollywood, I’ve never read that ten years ago he had a business that went bust.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -bill.html

Having been a small trader that bugs me.

I'm not a small trader but I do have a strong dislike of bankrupts. Working for HMRC I soon learned that any company can go bankrupt then buy back the equipment fittings and stock at knockdown prices. All you do is change the company name (so Binky Ltd becomes Binky (2021) Ltd). If you have a famous name that you want to keep, you would say Binky (2021) Ltd trading as Binky.

I know Hollywood left debts unpaid, but he's not as bad as Tom Aikens...

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/i-f ... 65450.html

Postby miss mouse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Binky wrote:
I'm not a small trader but I do have a strong dislike of bankrupts. Working for HMRC I soon learned that any company can go bankrupt then buy back the equipment fittings and stock at knockdown prices. All you do is change the company name (so Binky Ltd becomes Binky (2021) Ltd). If you have a famous name that you want to keep, you would say Binky (2021) Ltd trading as Binky.

I know Hollywood left debts unpaid, but he's not as bad as Tom Aikens...

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/i-f ... 65450.html

Wow. All of that post is shocking Binky (shocked by the facts, not you), Aikens takes the biscuit though. A couple of friends with small businesses had big debts owing, one went bust, the other survived.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:35 pm

I wasn't impressed with Jamie Oliver buying a new house worth several million pounds and flaunted in trashy magazines just after his restaurants went bust.

Postby Binky » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I wasn't impressed with Jamie Oliver buying a new house worth several million pounds and flaunted in trashy magazines just after his restaurants went bust.

No, me neither. Rather nasty I thought. It was Spains Hall bought for £6million, and not too far from me.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox