Register

Sodastream

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Sodastream

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm

I was disappointed to find that the fizz didn't seem to be there after I'd poured out the first glass so I bought two smaller size bottles to use instead of the big one that came with the machine and do find them better.

Also, I exceed the water fill level by 1cm to ensure the gas tip is submerged, give a few presses, then leave it for a minute before unscrewing and capping the bottle.

I've tried only SodaStream's grapefruit concentrate which tasted like petrol to me, so I add the soda to carton fruit juice or use in cocktail drinks.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:08 pm

This is the sodastream Source.
I hope you can see that it's pretty gassy.

& sorry about the wonky fingers (they're a bit bendy I know!)

Postby chihuahua8 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks for doing this, Gill. If I had done it the way you've demonstrated, I would've had water all over the kitchen surface! I think you have a more expensive version. So, I'm waiting until my plumber comes and see if he can fit a new washer as that may be the problem as Scullion suggested.
Failing that, I suspect the wretched thing will be destined for the dump.

All rather sad really.
JeanT

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:21 am

Have you contacted Sodastream? If you've only recently bought it, shouldn't it be covered by a guarantee?

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:39 am

I believe if it was bought by Lakeland, the guarantee is 3 years?
I don't usually shop there to be honest.
I've just got a refund from Amazon too - their guarantee is usually excellent when things go wrong.

How old is the device, Jean?

Postby herbidacious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:07 pm

I did have to send back my first sodastream, and the second one has developed the same 'fault' (?), but I have found a work around. Essentially you can't open it after you've fizzed the water. But if you leave it for a while it's ok. A pressure issue?

The glass bottles only contain 620ml. It stays fizzy for at least two days (not tried longer.) I usually fill and fizz as soon as I've emptied a bottle and put it in the fridge for next time. I do usually get through two a night so normally, they only sit in the fridge like that for 24 hours. The blurb says they should stay fizzy for two weeks.

Pleased that both Sainsburys and (in theory - not checked it out) Comet/PC World or whatever it's called these days, sell the refills. I am not sure if Argos still does. You can't order them in advance from there anymore, that's for sure.

Postby chihuahua8 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I think with everyone's help, I might be getting somewhere!

Found the original paperwork - and I bought it about 4 months ago so still well within the guarantee time.
I'm going to see if I can get the washer replaced, then try again but will try leaving the fizzed water for a while as suggested by Herbi.

If I'm still not satisfied the it can go back to Lakeland and I'll either request a replacement or get my money back.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on.

JeanT

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox