Register

Overrated food

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Overrated food

Postby Busybee » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Binky wrote:Choux pastry is excellent when done for a gougere. Not that keen on sweet choux as in eclairs for example, but lovely cheesy choux for gougere is yummo.

We went to Betty's in York a lot when my mother and sister lived there. Several times we tried to get Ma to go in for tea when out shopping for the afternoon, but her response as a Yorkshirewoman was "£11 for a sandwich and a cup of tea?" in a kind of horrified tone. We eventually gave this up as a lost cause after the one and only time she came with us, tutting at the prices in a loud voice. As a pensioner she could use one of the town church canteens and get tea for £1 and a sausage roll for 50p. Plus they let you smoke in the church garden. A winner as far as she was concerned.

Binky, I know exactly which church canteen you mean......St Sampson’s, my Mum was so excited when I was finally old enough to go in and use the facilities (50+). I can remember being taken in by my Gran when I was little, I think they turned a blind eye to grandchildren. I have to say Bettys is still strictly special occasion territory, but as I tell my husband, I go into York so infrequently every trip is an occasion!

BB

Postby mistakened » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:56 pm

I risk being accused of heresy but I find Sourdough Bread overrated. It is just rather crusty, sour tasting bread. Somehow it has become a religion to some people
It is bread, that is all.

Moira, running for cover

Postby Pampy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:58 pm

I'll join you running for cover! :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:02 pm

Kacey wrote:Another over rated - posh crumpets! No matter what or whose they are, no-ones 'best' or sourdough

I'd have agreed until I had Sainsburys 'Taste the Difference' sourdough crumpets. To me, they are quite special.

Surely the big thing about sourdough bread is that it is supposed to be kinder to the gut, even compared to home made bread using yeast? I think that like some other things, once you become accustomed to the taste of one it is hard to change back to the other.

I love the whole ritual of afternoon tea. The food is only part of it. The whole ambience, china, silver, linen, the quality of the tea and the way they are all served are equally important. It is sad that something that was once a meal with variations is now invariably sandwiches, scones and cakes all bunged on a tiered plate - and whenever did someone think that to include champagne was a good idea?

Postby mistakened » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:15 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:and whenever did someone think that to include champagne was a good idea?
and when did it start being called High Tea which as Any Fule Kno includes either cold meat or fish

Postby aero280 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:17 pm

When things open, we can walk up the hill to here:

https://stjamesbushey.co.uk/betsystearoom/

Again, a special treat, not a daily one!! :) Not had the champagne one yet though... :D

Postby Kacey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:19 pm

I'm not a Sainsbury's girl, too expensive I always think, but I do have a £50 voucher (a Xmas present from work) to spend so might just try them to test EM.

I love the Bertinet sliced sourdough loaves (makes fantastic toast) but some shop bought ones are rubbish and a waste of money. I need to persevere with homemade but I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't mind faffing for cooking, but faffing with baking is no fun. I prefer a plain old bread dough shoved in the Kitchenaid for 10 mins then into the loaf tin.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Kacey wrote:Another over rated - posh crumpets! No matter what or whose they are, no-ones 'best' or sourdough

I'd have agreed until I had Sainsburys 'Taste the Difference' sourdough crumpets. To me, they are quite special.

Surely the big thing about sourdough bread is that it is supposed to be kinder to the gut, even compared to home made bread using yeast? I think that like some other things, once you become accustomed to the taste of one it is hard to change back to the other.

I love the whole ritual of afternoon tea. The food is only part of it. The whole ambience, china, silver, linen, the quality of the tea and the way they are all served are equally important. It is sad that something that was once a meal with variations is now invariably sandwiches, scones and cakes all bunged on a tiered plate - and whenever did someone think that to include champagne was a good idea?

Iceland DeLuxe sourdough crumpets are superb, a reaally good texture

I remain unconvinced that sourdough makes much difference to your gut, you aren't consuming live yeast and the effect on the flour is not that difference to normal yeast; it doesn't count as a fermented food like kefir or sauerkraut; although it may (apparently) increase the bioavailability of some nutrients by releasing them from the flour

Surely one of the things about sourdough is that it's very variable, all the bread made by our local Turkish master baker is sourdough, and it's not the tough stuff you often get, and someone persuaded him to make baguettes, they are excellent - but like French ones, you have to eat them on the day, or make them into something, they turn into pumice overnight
I occasionally buy Poilane sourdough boule de campagne, it's lovely and freezes well

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:00 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I remain unconvinced that sourdough makes much difference to your gut, you aren't consuming live yeast and the effect on the flour is not that difference to normal yeast; it doesn't count as a fermented food like kefir or sauerkraut; although it may (apparently) increase the bioavailability of some nutrients by releasing them from the flour

I'm not overly surprised by your opinion. It is still, to me, the way it was sold as a trendy food which has now caught on for varying reasons and, as you say, varies greatly. I think to classify bread as Chorleywood or non-Chorleywood process might work better when talking about health. I don't think generous quantities of the former agree with everyone's digestion and to change from that to sourdough makes many people feel better. A layman's unfounded opinion of course!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:39 am

I´ve just thought of something else which is overrated.
Popcorn.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:11 am

Oh Lord, yes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:15 am

I really dislike popcorn, it smells horrible and the texture is very unpleasant

Funnily enough I like almost everything else made of corn, apart from corn oil which (to me) also stinks

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:22 am

It could be one of the main reasons I never go to the cinema.
The other is that I tend to fall asleep :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:14 pm

You and me both KK. And don’t get me started on cinema nachos.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:19 pm

mistakened wrote:I risk being accused of heresy but I find Sourdough Bread overrated. It is just rather crusty, sour tasting bread. Somehow it has become a religion to some people

Moira, running for cover

Pampy wrote:I'll join you running for cover! :lol: :lol:

Me too :roll: :oops:

Postby liketocook » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:44 pm

I enjoy sour dough bread for it's taste and texture but I enjoy any properly made bread. I suspect the amount of butter, cheese etc. I have on top of it negate any minimal health benefits :lol: .
I would agree it's overrated though turning up in most of the brunch/light lunch dishes our local places offer.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:15 pm

I like and make sourdough. It's not like the supermarket sourdough, but properly proved etc.

One thing that I find, not only overrated, but wrong, is burgers on brioche. Wrong on so many levels!!
I like a good burger. Our local butcher makes excellent ones

Postby Amyw » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:37 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
mistakened wrote:I risk being accused of heresy but I find Sourdough Bread overrated. It is just rather crusty, sour tasting bread. Somehow it has become a religion to some people

Moira, running for cover

Pampy wrote:I'll join you running for cover! :lol: :lol:

Me too :roll: :oops:

Me three or fourth :limbobanana . I just don’t like the taste of it . Others that spring to mind -

Asparagus - I don’t mind it and will sometimes buy it to roast but don’t understand people going into raptures over it

Avo on toast - I’d eat it but I don’t find it the best combination . Think it’s one of those things people order because it’s cool

Green tea- tastes like grass

Kale - the stalks are really tough , raw kale however much it’s massaged is horrible in a salad and nutritionally it’s just another green veg really

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:21 pm

Amyw wrote:Green tea- tastes like grass

I'm not keen on green tea but one of my friends did explain that it makes a big difference if you make it with not boiling water - it's much more bitter with boiling water, and although I still probably wouldn't choose to drink it I've found it much more palatable when it's made with cooler water.
According to our kettle, the "correct" temperature for green tea is 80 degrees.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:43 pm

Your kettle sounds incredibly clever. Mine doesn't tell me anything! I shall have to investigate what kettles can do these days.

I like green tea.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox