Register

Big bag of prawns - prawn toast for example

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Big bag of prawns - prawn toast for example

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:52 am

I thought they were raw.
But I bought a huge bag of cooked frozen prawns from the excellent local fish shop in Cirencester - which is still open.
They have shelves of Spanish items too, so I can get judiones and paprika there.

Anyone got any ideas for them, just not prawns with pasta please - I make that a lot :lol:

They are happy in the freezer.
1 thing, they are quite strong. I rinse them off, but they are dead prawny.
Probably excellent for prawn toast if anyone has a method please?

Re: Big bag of prawns - prawn toast for example

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 am

My (90 today!) cousin makes an absolutely gorgeous prawn and coconut curry - I can't remember how she does it but it's very easy and I think uses ready made curry powder and possibly tomato ... chunks of coconut block, but I'm sure coconut milk would work ...

Now that's reminded me I must see if I've got it written down anywhere ...

Postby Suelle » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:09 am

Jamie Oliver made these 'prawn toast' toasted sandwiches on his programme last week - I thought they looked good.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pra ... t-toastie/
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:32 am

Stir fries for me. I could eat them every day.

Jamie O. has several prawn recipes in his '7 Ways' book. One is the prawn toast that Suelle mentions. I saw it too, it was a thick sandwich cooked I a pan and I wondered how easy it would be to get the filling piping hot in the middle without burning the outside. It did look nice though.

I haven't read all the board yet but ltc was going to try prawn balls & dumplings from the same book last night. It will be interesting to hear her verdict.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:44 am

Delia does a nice Spicy Prawns recipe (it's in Complete Cookery). I make it quite often (lovely with saffron rice). :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby mistakened » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Chili Prawns, cheating using a bottled Chili Sauce

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:43 pm

The Jamie sandwich recipe is specifically for raw prawns

I usually have both raw and cooked prawns in the freezer, the cooked ones get more use in summer for salads and sandwiches, but they work well in curries, stir fries and Asian noodle dishes added almost last minute so they heat through without much cooking.

I also concoct various dressings to use them a jacket spud fillings, usually prawn cocktail or chilli sauce based

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Whilst raw prawns are clearly the correct ingredient, do you think that cooked prawns would be really awful (I.e. tough as old boots) in the JO recipe? As mentioned earlier, it didn't seem to me that they would get much more than a warming-through in the centre of the thick sandwich.

Postby liketocook » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Stir fries for me. I could eat them every day.

Jamie O. has several prawn recipes in his '7 Ways' book. One is the prawn toast that Suelle mentions. I saw it too, it was a thick sandwich cooked I a pan and I wondered how easy it would be to get the filling piping hot in the middle without burning the outside. It did look nice though.

I haven't read all the board yet but ltc was going to try prawn balls & dumplings from the same book last night. It will be interesting to hear her verdict.

We did though it uses raw prawns. The prawns balls were good, didn't fall apart as I feared and would work just as well with cheaper white fish IMHO, but the dumplings were dire - stodgy bland lumps but not in a good way! We ended up quickly nuking a pouch of rice. That said it's the first recipe from the book that hasn't worked for us and we've tried lots of the recipes. The salmon stuffed with prawns & creme fraiche was lovely and it uses cooked prawns https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/sal ... ed-salmon/

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:13 pm

What a shame re the dumplings ltc. Might try the prawn balls without sometime.

Couldn't open your link to the salmon. I think it's this one? It looks very rich and delicious. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/sal ... ed-salmon/

Postby liketocook » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:17 pm

Yes that's the link EM thanks, not sure what I did to scramble mine!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Whilst raw prawns are clearly the correct ingredient, do you think that cooked prawns would be really awful (I.e. tough as old boots) in the JO recipe? As mentioned earlier, it didn't seem to me that they would get much more than a warming-through in the centre of the thick sandwich.

I think if you use cooked prawns they will fall apart - chopped/minced raw prawns stick together quite well
Probably taste OK though

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:20 pm

How big are the prawns? Small ones don't really stand up to any reheating except stirring into soup or sauce at the last minute.

Do you not like them defrosted but still ice cold? I find them refreshing if that's the right word in a simple bap or pita bread with a bit of green salad and spiced-up mayo.

If large, I'd probably butterfly to ensure that a very swift reheat time would reach the middle before toughening them up. Suitable then to add to any creamy or tomato sauce to finish off a meat (steak or veal) or veg like squash or baked spud, or just added to broth or soup last minute.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:47 pm

A while ago I was in a local town, about 90 miles from Caracas, and lunch was what they called "Mediterranean Prawn Salad". No idea exactly what the recipe was, but the salad was basically iceberg lettuce, grilled red peppers, cherry tomatoes, finely diced cucumber, avocado chunks, and the cooked prawns in a creamy mayo dressing - probably had some tomato ketchup and coriander leaf in it.
I suppose you could also go for a Thai spicy prawn and lemongrass soup, or some spring rolls.
I´d offer you a Keralan coconut milk curry with two masalas, but my concern with deep-frozen cooked prawns is that they turn rubbery in a minute if you re-cook them.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:51 pm

Any dish that you would throw in peeled prawns right at the end, I would say - some faves: prawn patia, any curried prawn recipe, soups - cioppino, tom yum goong, prawn mayonnaise salad, cold seafood platter with aioli or other mayo, prawns with chipotle chile lime mayonnaise ....

Chipotle lime mayonnaise - sublimely good - really worth making the salsa negra (I sub some of the chipotle quantities with medium heat chiles like guajillos as chipotles are so hot and you can use some smoked paprika with non chipotle chiles for the same smokey flavour)
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/ ... ayonnaise/

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Sounds like cilantro thousand island dressing KDKA- yum!

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:17 pm

Cook some slices of chorizo in a pan with garlic and a few sliced cherry tomatoes , then add the prawns right at the end and give them a few stirs till they absorb all the chorizo oils then pile onto toasted baguette .

Prawns in a Marie Rose sauce with lots of paprika and a bit of Tabasco with iceberg , cucumber and avocado to bulk it out a bit

Add to the end of a risotto , again just so they warm through.or a curry as already suggested, I do like a prawn curry .

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:31 pm

karadekoolaid wrote: I´d offer you a Keralan coconut milk curry with two masalas, but my concern with deep-frozen cooked prawns is that they turn rubbery in a minute if you re-cook them.

Yes please to snag for raw prawns :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Earwigho, then -
Keralan Prawn Curry:
3 tbsps oil ( sunflower, canola or corn)
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek
2 large onions, finely diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
2 green finger chiles, finely diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
350 mls coconut milk
2 tbsps coriander powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsps salt
1 Kg prawns
Fresh coriander to dress
Extra water

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the mustard seeds and the fenugreek for about 30 seconds, until the seeds pop. Now lower the heat and add the onion. Fry until it is opaque. Now add the garlic, ginger and green chiles and stir fry for about a minute - until you can smell the ginger mixture. Now add the other spices and the tomato paste. Stir for a minute, adding a little water if it gets too dry. Add the salt, the coconut milk and a little extra water, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Add the prawns and cook until just pink. Serve garnished with coriander leaf.
The best accompaniment is Lemon Rice - Basmati cooked until just ready, then mixed in with butter and a tbsp of lemon zest.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:38 am

This just arrived from a restaurant in Barcelona. Not my English translation, but it´ll do! the restaurant/bar is called Cal Pep. It´s so popular - when I went there, we had to wait 90 minutes to get a seat at the bar, but it was well worth it.

Scallop with Costa Brava prawns

First we make an onion and tomato sauce and set aside. Next, we remove the skin from the tail of one of the prawns and cut the other prawn into small pieces (without removing the skin). In a saucepan, we fry the prawn cut into pieces with oil, the onion and tomato sauce and the chilli. Once it is well browned, remove it, and with the excess oil, we fry the prawn from which we have removed the skin from the tail. Next we take the sauce and the prawn cut into small pieces and blend everything with the whisk. We will have a sauce that we shall pass through a strainer.
Finally, we put a splash of white wine on top of the clean scallop, we add the prawn and the sauce on ; and we add a little of salt and pepper. We place it in the oven for 10 minutes at 170 degrees until the scallop is golden brown. And ready!

Ingredients (4 pax)

- 4 big scallops
- 8 big prawns from Costa Brava
- 2 big onions
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 chillis
- Olive oil
- Salt
- Pepper
- White wine

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox