Register

Electric whisk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Electric whisk

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 pm

I know, aero, you really have to search to make sure you've got all the info. And then search again! One of the mixers I was looking at was listed as 2.49kg on Amazon! Which had to be a mistake, and was maybe the weight of the entire box with all the bits and pieces. It wasn't that heavy in another listing.

Am veering towards the Bosch again. I think the one miss mouse has sounds very similar to the one I liked the look of on the Bosch site. Even the Mary Berry Kenwood, that looked quite decent otherwise, was heavier than the JL one I'm returning. I'm going to give them a ring tomorrw and find out about their returns policy and how long they usually take to deliver.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:09 am

Delia recommended using a hand mixer for mashed potatoes when she did the Complete Cookery Course on the tv probably 40 years ago and I’ve done it ever since. A French friend of mine was in my kitchen once and told me that my potato purée was the best he’d ever seen! This method makes fabulous aligot too.
I need a new hand mixer as the beaters are scarily rusty. Following this conversation I’m going to look at the Bosch one.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Cherrytree, I have just ordered the Bosch from their site. I rang them up - the only number seemed to be the spares dept - they were nevertheless very helpful.

It's free delivery but you have to pay return postage if you send it back because you don't like it. If it's faulty they reimburse the return postage. The guy I spoke to (Brian) said that he couldn't remember getting any problems with the smaller appliances such as the mixer. It's not clear whether the beaters are stainless steel. I think I will hand wash them just in case. With my Kenwood stainless steel ones I just put them in the dishwasher.

The review/comments suggest that it's quite slow - but I daresay that modern slow is probably no worse than my ancient 120w Kenwood! And too fast is more of a problem as the ingredients can fly around out of the bowl!

Will report back when it arrives, which apparently should be in 5 days to a week ....

Postby miss mouse » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:02 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I mash potatoes with the beaters, been doing it for years, think it might have been recommended in the book that came with my first Moulinex

Drain potatoes, return to pan & dry out a little over low heat, add milk and butter, heat milk and melt butter over same heat, remove from heat and beat

Yes, same method here, I saw an American hostess doing it in the 70s, sheer genius I thought.

The dough hooks are used for eg flatbread.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 pm

I've checked mine - it is dead as a door nail
So will be buying another
I would like a balloon whisk though, and I'm not in a hurry

Postby Amber » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 am

miss mouse wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:I mash potatoes with the beaters, been doing it for years, think it might have been recommended in the book that came with my first Moulinex

Drain potatoes, return to pan & dry out a little over low heat, add milk and butter, heat milk and melt butter over same heat, remove from heat and beat

Yes, same method here, I saw an American hostess doing it in the 70s, sheer genius I thought.

My husbands family used to do this. I hated it - I like lumps in my mash. ;) :D
To prove it’s real. (memories of 1970s Smash)

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:20 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I've checked mine - it is dead as a door nail
So will be buying another
I would like a balloon whisk though, and I'm not in a hurry

Oh dear, sorry to hear that! I hope mine dying didn't spook yours :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:15 pm

miss mouse wrote:

I would never have considered using my hand held beater for mashed potatoes :roll: In this house it's either a bog standard masher, or a ricer. I know both of these depend on using wrists and hands, but I never peel my potatoes unless I plan to use the ricer and that's not often.

Postby Pampy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:07 pm

Amber wrote:
My husbands family used to do this. I hated it - I like lumps in my mash. ;) :D
To prove it’s real. (memories of 1970s Smash)

I really dislike creamed mashed potatoes too, they remind me of baby food. I use a hand masher or ricer and just add a bit of butter, s&p.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:17 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:45 pm

I prefer 'mash' to be rugged too! The use of ricers, mixers and satin smooth mash were unknown to me until well into adulthood and visits to the USA.
My grandmother used to do a lot of things involving smooth piped potato (for Duchesse Potatoes and to top thing with a potato crust) but that satin feel is something else completely.

Talking of hand mixers. I survived a good 40 years without one (though I'd have loved dough hooks) but for the past 20 or so years have had a food processor which I love. I then bought a Sainsburys cheapo hand beater for under £10. No problem releasing the beaters, they fall off easily :lol: . It does exactly as it says on the tin and if that's all you want, it's excellent!

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:04 pm

The Bosch mixer arrived this afternoon. I am not sure if these beaters are going to do the job - they seem rather skinny, especially when compared with the old Kenwood.
Attachments
both whisks.JPG
both whisks.JPG (389.46 KiB) Viewed 2514 times

Postby Suelle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:22 pm

Hopefully the more powerful motor will make up for the beaters looking much less sturdy.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:55 pm

I've been looking, and this is on my shortlist

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/SHARDOR-Powe ... 06611&th=1

Never heard of the make, but then a lot of the older brands that return are really made in overseas factories by other companies

Actually I have heard of them - someone recently recommended their multi grinder in the Guardian, it comes with both dry spice and a wet paste/herb goblets

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/SHARDOR-Grin ... ast_sto_dp

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:04 am

That looks a good one, Sue - and I really like the storage box.
Mine, which I've had for about 10 years was £4.99 from Argos! It's just a basic beater but does everything that I need from it.

Postby Suelle » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:14 am

Pampy wrote:That looks a good one, Sue - and I really like the storage box.
Mine, which I've had for about 10 years was £4.99 from Argos! It's just a basic beater but does everything that I need from it.

Me too - very neat, and keeps the dust off if you need to leave it out of a cupboard.

The sockets for the beaters on my old (only 8 years though) Kenwood are starting to look worn, so I might need a new one soon.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:41 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:The Bosch mixer arrived this afternoon. I am not sure if these beaters are going to do the job - they seem rather skinny, especially when compared with the old Kenwood.

My Krups mixer has both these beaters ... plus the little dough hooks, which as someone else has already reported are no good for bread dough (imho)

Postby aero280 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:00 pm

I had to give my stand mixer a good clean underneath. The rubber feet were a bit dirty and had lost their grip. The whole thing started “walking” across the worktop and nearly went over the edge, taking some other stuff with it!! :o

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:12 pm

oh dear, aero, sounds like more excitement than you need ;)

Postby miss mouse » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:29 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:oh dear, aero, sounds like more excitement than you need ;)

I dunno, it is all so dull with this 'lockdown' malarky that it is probably the best excitement of the month for aero.

I scrubbed and re-sealed a floor, living life to the full.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox