Register

Electric whisk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Electric whisk

Postby aero280 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:06 pm

All the electric toothbrushes that we have ever owned have ended up with the soft touch plastic surface going sticky. it seems to happen with anything like that. I had a set of insulated screwdrivers that got sticky handles.

I've tried rubbing with talc, etc. but it doesn't cure it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:14 pm

So it's a more common problem than I first thought, Aero.
Bea, I do have some nice kitchen things in general.
But this isn't one of them.

They're only beaters, and I don't rely on them so much.

Tools would be a problem, you need a reliable grip.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:04 pm

I'm going to throw another one into the mix, my portable radio :thumbsdown .

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:07 pm

aaaaargh, you too slim.p.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:23 pm

The only thing I’ve got with soft touch is an Oxo Good Grips can opener I think, it seems fine

I’m on my fourth Braun Oral B electric Toothbrush, this one is 4, possibly 5, and it’s fine but I have had a few small things go tacky in the past

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:29 pm

Yes, I’m on number 4 as well. I don’t think anybody ever warns you that an electric toothbrush is not for life,

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:47 pm

I think mine have lasted on average about 8.5 years, which seems fair enough for any small motor that’s used twice a day.

The charging bases never seem to die, I bought my last toothbrush in Berlin, it was a little cheaper, but mainly to get a base with an EU plug so I don’t need to carry an adapter when travelling, I still had a GB one I’d never unwrapped so I didn’t need one

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Well, I've just ordered the JL one, and having it delivered to the Little Waitrose at the end of the road on Wednesday ... I was very tempted by the Bosch one but ease of return in case it's not right with JL won out!

Thx for all your input, advice ... will report back!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:46 am

Good-O.
It looks like an excellent one to me.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:18 pm

It arrived today and just picked it up, but I'm going to have to return it :thumbsdown

The eject button for the beaters is impossible for me with my arthritic thumbs, and even OH found it difficult. I could do it on the edge of the kitchen work surface but that's not very good, even if it loosens up over time.

Also, one of the beaters is rusty.

Arghh, what a shame, I'm really disappointed. It is also quite heavy (1.24kg) but I thought that I'd be able to cope with the weight OK.

The tough eject is something I've seen a lot of random comments about on different mixers. It's obviously quite a widespread problem.

Hey ho, back to the search!!

Postby aero280 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:05 pm

After reading that, I went out and checked my Breville. The handheld unit with no whisks in is 980g and I can eject the tools with my arthritic thumb. The other thing I like is, that when it's tilted up out of the bowl, the handheld bit will sit in the stand without having to be clipped in every time. So it can be put down and picked up without the whisks touching the surface. Although it does also rest on its back with the whisks horizontal.

I've also checked the model number which is "SHM2", in which case it's still available. It's the larger of the two I listed in my first post, but, of course, my one is 10 years old, even though the model number is the same, the internal bits may have changed a bit.

https://www.breville.co.uk/cooking-and- ... ml#start=1

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:32 pm

Thanks, aero, it looks great.
I think its versatility is a big plus but I don't know where I'd even store the stand - we don't have a separate kitchen, it's one end of our single, downstairs long room and whatever I get has to fit in the same space in a cupboard that the dead one occupied.
I have a Magimix, and that is out all the time although I have to shift the toaster and slide the Magimix out of a corner next to the microwave to use it! If it were put away I'd never get it out etc. My sister also has very limited surface space in her kitchen and she had to make space for the Magimix somehow, as when it was in a cupboard it was just too clumsy and heavy to take out to use.

All things being equal, I'd love either a stand mixer or a(nother) bread machine - we used to have one in our old house which had plenty of space. It packed up not long before we moved and so we never replaced it as there's nowhere for it to go.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:04 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:I have a Magimix, and that is out all the time although I have to shift the toaster and slide the Magimix out of a corner

Ditto, it gets complicated though I probably could & should take the spiraliser out of that mix, it is light enough to move around and not used that much
Shame about the ejector though - the one one mine happens when it chooses to

Postby aero280 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Not seen this one, but it might suit and soften butter/warm hands at the same time...

https://www.breville.co.uk/cooking-and- ... ml#start=3

Postby miss mouse » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:44 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Does anyone know anything about this Bosch model?
https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/store/kitc ... /MFQ3030GB

We have a Bosch dishwasher and washing machine, both of which are fine.

I have a Bosch hand mixer, about £30 from Dyas, it is fine so far, about 2 YO (this could be more, I have lost track of time), I don't make cakes but do mash potatoes with it, I am VV lazy. Also soufflés when the mood takes me. It can be erm enthusiastic but keep its head down is the solution I have found.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:It arrived today and just picked it up, but I'm going to have to return it :thumbsdown

The eject button for the beaters is impossible for me with my arthritic thumbs, and even OH found it difficult. I could do it on the edge of the kitchen work surface but that's not very good, even if it loosens up over time.
Arghh, what a shame, I'm really disappointed. It is also quite heavy (1.24kg) but I thought that I'd be able to cope with the weight OK.
The tough eject is something I've seen a lot of random comments about on different mixers. It's obviously quite a widespread problem.
Hey ho, back to the search!!

This has prompted me to have a look at my little hand held beater - inherited from my Mum, so more than 20 years old now. The eject button is quite easy for me to use and it weights 1085 gms without any beaters inserted. Edited to add that it is a Krups brand

I also have an unused, boxed Kenwood that my SiL gave me when she emigrated to Vegas a few years ago .. I have never needed it ;) :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:17 pm

aero, I saw that and wondered if the softening butter bit was a gimmick that would just go wrong! Anyway, I then investigated further and it is very, very heavy at 1.7kg ...

miss mouse wrote:I have a Bosch hand mixer, about £30 from Dyas, it is fine so far, about 2 YO (this could be more, I have lost track of time), I don't make cakes but do mash potatoes with it, I am VV lazy. Also soufflés when the mood takes me. It can be erm enthusiastic but keep its head down is the solution I have found.

Mash potatoes? Is that with the beaters or dough hooks?

PatsyMFagan wrote:I also have an unused, boxed Kenwood that my SiL gave me when she emigrated to Vegas a few years ago .. I have never needed it

Ha, just as long as it's in your cupboard :lol:
The moment you decide you don't "need" it any more, your trusty Krups will give up the ghost :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:31 pm

I mash potatoes with the beaters, been doing it for years, think it might have been recommended in the book that came with my first Moulinex

Drain potatoes, return to pan & dry out a little over low heat, add milk and butter, heat milk and melt butter over same heat, remove from heat and beat

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:52 pm

Well, all these years I could have been doing that!! never too late to learn :lol:

Postby aero280 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:10 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:aero, I saw that and wondered if the softening butter bit was a gimmick that would just go wrong! Anyway, I then investigated further and it is very, very heavy at 1.7kg ...

Gosh! I didn't pick up that bit :o

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox