Register

Electric whisk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Electric whisk

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:40 am

Our Kenwood electric handheld whisk has died - must be at least 45 yrs old as I inherited it from OH's kitchen stuff when we got together.

I have been thinking about this one from John Lewis: https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-pa ... l/p3368084

It says that you can only use it for 4 mins and then it has to cool down for half an hour; I suspect that is the case with most of them, they just don't tell you that in the instructions!

Any advice? Ones to avoid? Recommendations?

Thx!!

Re: Electric whisk

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:10 am

I have a James Martin which I think I may have killed, I tried using the dough hooks and the dough climbed up them and got into the motor compartment
This
https://www.wahl.co.uk/product/hand-mixer/

Not necessarily recommending it over other makes but I do particularly like the beaters it comes with, apart from the dough hooks (which will never be used again) it comes with the usual pair of general beaters that you use for creaming cake mix etc, good ones, and a single balloon whisk. I really like having the extra balloon whisk, I think it whips cream and meringue best, and it’s surprising how often I make a mixture with the standard beaters then whisk cream or egg white to fold in using the clean balloon

Postby Suelle » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 am

4 minutes doesn't seem a very long running time; I've never noticed that advice in the instructions for my Kenwood which I'd recommend again if they still made the model.

Looking around there seems to be a very limited choice available, especially at a reasonable price. I wonder if they're being superseded by stand mixers. A lot of models are out of stock too, suggesting supply issues.

I'd go for the most powerful motor you can afford, unless you only use it for very light duties, such as whipping cream. The John Lewis model you're looking at is towards the top of the range for power.

A few weeks ago, after using my mixer and getting annoyed with the lead being in the way, I wondered if cordless mixers were being made yet. They are, but at a price!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:15 am

I bought a Breville about 10 years ago on the recommendation of Which magazine. It’s been fine. It comes as a stand mixer with a rotating bowl, but the whisk easily unclips and it becomes a hand mixer, which is how I normally use it.

It has a pair of dough hooks, a pair of “normal” whisks, and a pair of wire whisks for eggs.

I regularly run it for 10 mins or so when making bread and it hasn’t failed! :)

The only criticism I have is that on its lowest speed, it’s a bit noisy with a high pitched squeal when struggling with a heavy dough, but at any high speed it’s fine.

This is the current equivalent: https://www.breville.co.uk/cooking-and- ... M2-01.html

There’s a slightly smaller version: https://www.breville.co.uk/cooking-and- ... er&start=3

Postby Linnet » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 am

My Kenwood, about the same age as KC2's, died just before Christmas 2019 and I bought a new Kenwood from JL. It has 3 speeds and pulse like the old one, but whereas one of those was quite slow, this throws stuff out out of the bowl on even the slowest speed when you start mixing, and the button to release the beaters is so stiff that I have to use both hands. I don't like it very much, but since it doesn't get as much use nowadays, I shall stick with it.

Postby DEB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:37 am

I have an older version of this one Dualit 89303 Hand Mixer, I have had it for over 10 yeas and on average it is used 2 or 3 times a week, cake mix with 4 eggs, bread dough etc. It comes with standard beaters, dough hooks and a ballon wisk for cream egg whits etc. I will agree it is not the cheapest on the market put will happly run for 10 to 20 mins.
:limbobanana

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks for the input, folks, I am not going to make this purchase in too much of a hurry. I'll just have to get used to using my Bamix for making cakes! I'm just not sure what bowl to use as it kind of needs to be higher rather than wide.

Anyway, in preparation, I started looking through the book that came with it and found a recipe for bread that used gills! That really does take you back, doesn't it!

Postby Pampy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:04 pm

Suelle wrote:Looking around there seems to be a very limited choice available, especially at a reasonable price. I wonder if they're being superseded by stand mixers. A lot of models are out of stock too, suggesting supply issues.

Since the pandemic started, the demand for most items used in the home has increased tremendously. I've recently bought a new fridge/freezer and desktop pc. When I was researching which to buy, I found that loads were out of stock with long lead times until they were re-stocked. As well as increased demand, worldwide production had been hit by factories running at reduced capacity or not running at all.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:26 pm

Pampy wrote:
Suelle wrote:Looking around there seems to be a very limited choice available, especially at a reasonable price. I wonder if they're being superseded by stand mixers. A lot of models are out of stock too, suggesting supply issues.

Since the pandemic started, the demand for most items used in the home has increased tremendously. I've recently bought a new fridge/freezer and desktop pc. When I was researching which to buy, I found that loads were out of stock with long lead times until they were re-stocked. As well as increased demand, worldwide production had been hit by factories running at reduced capacity or not running at all.

Pampy, that makes me very glad that our fridge freezer needed replacing at the beginning of last year's lockdown!

Suelle, do you think this might be the new version of your model: https://www.johnlewis.com/kenwood-hmp30 ... r/p5085562

Postby janetmw » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:22 pm

Suelle wrote:4 minutes doesn't seem a very long running time; I've never noticed that advice in the instructions for my Kenwood which I'd recommend again if they still made the model.

Looking at the instruction leaflet, the 4 minute limit seems to apply to the turbo setting.

Janet
Janet

Postby Suelle » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:37 pm

My Kenwood Kmix hand mixer is only 350W - not as powerful as the one in your link, KC2 but it looks the nearest equivalent from the current Kenwood range.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:02 pm

janetmw wrote:
Suelle wrote:4 minutes doesn't seem a very long running time; I've never noticed that advice in the instructions for my Kenwood which I'd recommend again if they still made the model.

Looking at the instruction leaflet, the 4 minute limit seems to apply to the turbo setting.

Janet

Ah, re-read more carefully, thank you very much for noticing that, Janet! It becomes a serious contender again!

Suelle wrote:My Kenwood Kmix hand mixer is only 350W - not as powerful as the one in your link, KC2 but it looks the nearest equivalent from the current Kenwood range.

Thanks, Suelle.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:15 pm

Does anyone know anything about this Bosch model?
https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/store/kitc ... /MFQ3030GB

We have a Bosch dishwasher and washing machine, both of which are fine.

Postby Suelle » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:46 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Does anyone know anything about this Bosch model?
https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/store/kitc ... /MFQ3030GB

We have a Bosch dishwasher and washing machine, both of which are fine.

There's a review here - https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/pro ... gb-review/

If you put the model number into google you'll find reviews on shopping outlets such as Argos. (Generally well liked on Argos)

If you like the look of it, buy it quickly. John Lewis are out of stock and say 'unlikely to receive more' which means it may be coming to the end of production.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Thanks, Suelle, I also found reviews on Argos (where it's out of stock), and they just posted the same Argos reviews on the Bosch site and vice-versa.

Having looked more closely, I'm dubious about the plastic spindle insert into the machine, if you see what I mean.
The JL own-brand one at the same price "seems" to be all stainless steel. I noticed on some of the reviews of the cheaper Kenwood that the beaters themselves were stainless steel, but the spindle not, and they got manky after being put in the dishwasher.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:14 pm

Buy John Lewis and not Bodum

Prompted by your thread, Bea.
I've contacted Bodum about the beaters I have. They were a gift from Tony, 5 years ago.
And have developed (and worsened) a problem with an unpleasant stickiness to the silicon material.

So please do not be tempted to buy Bodum.

The reply to my email yesterday, tells me not to leave the beaters near a heat source, and not in the sun. Who would, let's face it.
Not to clean with products. Again, you wouldn't.

They know their beaters do it, they say. But their culture is to blame the customer.

I wasn't after a replacement, just an explanation. Unfortunately, they are just wriggling out of a guarantee at the moment - which I wasn't after.

Of course, Bodum is now a product I won't touch.

This is how their beaters look now, and the internet is riddled with lots of their products like this, if you just put in "Bodum sticky".
Really odd.

Yukky! Image Image

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:37 pm

Yuk! It reminds me of my car radio knobs, which have done exactly the same thing. On the other hand the car is early 2002 and the radio itself doesn't work any more so it doesn't matter :lol:

I must say I haven't actually seen a bodum whisk on my searches, but it's very useful to know what to avoid!

Postby Suelle » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:46 pm

There was a fashion for that peculiar 'soft touch' plastic for a while. I've had several things which have degraded and gone 'sticky' after a relatively short time, including electric toothbrushes and TV remote controllers. I think whoever decided it was a good idea didn't expect consumers to keep things for as long as we do.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Well, that's interesting that you both know about it.
And it's probably the soft touch coatings, Suelle, as you say.
I've never experienced this with any hard plastics.

To be fair, I can still use the beaters - but they feel horrid of course. I may have to wrap them somehow in cling film?

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:04 pm

It does look nice, though Gill, a great colour!!!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox