Register

Ceramic casserole vs Le Creuset

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ceramic casserole vs Le Creuset

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 pm

miss mouse wrote:...[clip]... Good stuff goes fast. ...

[in charity shops]

Very true. I was amazed to see a beautiful porcelain lidded soup tureen and bowls and was about to buy it as an object of beauty, before reminding myself that I didn't need it, had nowhere to put it, and knew no-one who'd value a less than modern set, presumably hence why it was sill there. I still wish I'd bought it :oops:

Postby miss mouse » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:48 pm

jeral wrote: I was amazed to see a beautiful porcelain lidded soup tureen and bowls and was about to buy it as an object of beauty, before reminding myself that I didn't need it, had nowhere to put it, and knew no-one who'd value a less than modern set, presumably hence why it was sill there. I still wish I'd bought it :oops:

It sounds lovely but perhaps another who adored it got it. I am ashamed to admit that soup in this house is served in the SS saucepan, Kuhn Rikkon picked up from the freebies table at the Council dump...oops, recycling centre I might mean some decades ago.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 pm

My OH had been married before and when we moved in together turned up with all sorts of elaborate crockery, cutlery, vases, the lot. All inherited from his mother’s side of the family. They have never been used by us, and thank goodness we have a large loft because they are still where we put them forty years ago. I think his first wife was very glad that she managed to get rid.

I am not allowed to dispose of them and I am pretty sure they aren’t worth anything as they are hideous. Do Scouts and Girl Guides still have smash the crockery stalls?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 pm

if complete sets check before chucking - just because you think they are hideous doesn't mean someone doesn't think they are "collectable"

I wouldn't give a Moorcroft vase house room personally, just not my thing - but worth ££££

Vice versa nearly every family has a couple of things they think are very special antiques, but that turn out to be merely second hand when you try to sell them

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm

I think at one point I did check all the patterns on Chinamatch and eBay when I was trying to sneak them out Sue. He might have relinquished them if money had been involved. It wasn't and the sets are not complete. He's (still) incredibly sentimental and a terrible hoarder and it's just not worth upsetting him if we have room to store them. Come the day when we downsize however . . . . .

Not a Moorcroft fan either but I do like Whitefriars Glass. We don't have any of that though.

Postby miss mouse » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
I wouldn't give a Moorcroft vase house room personally, just not my thing - but worth ££££

Vice versa nearly every family has a couple of things they think are very special antiques, but that turn out to be merely second hand when you try to sell them

no, moorcroft not my thing and I hate stuff I have to look after. Susie Cooper was a thing once, it never did grab me.

Yes. loads of 'very special' tat in this flat. I managed to dump loads of it but lots to go.

Postby spangle » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I think it's so hard when you inherit much-loved kitchen/dining treasures. I have a whole cupboardful which could be culled more but won't be. I doubt I would miss many of the items if someone else did the cull for me so it is worth the initial wrench for cupboard space later!

It is hard isn't it. I'm keeping most of the items with memories, like the round glass dish my mum used to make macaroni cheese and shepherds pie in, but there's so much when combined with my own stuff, so need a balance between treasuredness and usefulness. Lots of items are both, which is good.

My default was always 'keep everything' as was my mum's (more so!) and it's only in recent years I've become a bit more deliberate in what I keep. But it's easy to start slipping back into keeping everything...

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:46 pm

Maybe it's always going to be a time thing? Where you start off keeping everything and gradually each year whittle down what's either not that useful or is less significant than other pieces which carry treasured memories that you (or me in my case) will never part with.

Photographing things for posterity is good, plus taking a moment to add an essay of particular memories they invoke as it's really those that count whether you keep or don't the actual item(s).

Postby spangle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 am

I think that's true jeral, whittling things down over time. Some things are definite keeps, whether or not I'll use them, others I know I probably won't keep but don't want to part with just yet.

Similar with books - after an initial cull of my and my mum's books, I've invented a system where every few days I choose a shelf and pick 5 more books for the charity shop. It's quite effective as it doesn't feel too brutal but has resulted in a lot of books ready to go. I'm now applying an amended version to some of my kitchen things that have been living in boxes - I pick 5 and either find them a proper home in a cupboard or put them in the charity shop bag.

I have taken photos of some items, and also before and after photos of the cupboards I'm clearing (when I remember).

Also checking various possible collectibles online - I briefly became an expert in early-mid 20th century tea sets last autumn when going through the sideboard! Most are incomplete though and would cost far more to pack and post than they're worth.

Postby Pampy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:09 am

Places such as Chinasearch will buy single items as a lot of their customers are looking to replace things they've broken or want to expand a set that they already own. I have quite a big china dinner service and have replaced a couple of items that I broke from Chinasearch.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:51 am

When Wedgwood effectively went bust, some years ago, I hadn’t quite finished collecting my dinner service. Chinasearch bought up all the bits in the supply chain and some from people who hadn’t finished collecting and gave up, so it was quite easy to complete my set

Postby spangle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks Pampy, that's useful. A lot of mine is around 1930s-1950s so don't think they'd take that as they say 1960s onwards, but there is some from later, and there's still the cobweb-filled cellar and loft to go... I'll probably turn up at least another 3 ceramic casseroles before I'm done!

Postby jeral » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:55 pm

You could also check out what's popular on Etsy, typically by seeing how many offers of similar items crop up. Often odd ones are advertised. (I've bought through them happily enough but not sold via them. NB, some sales are US-based.)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox