Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

Postby Suffs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 am

Hi Grassy :wave: having knitted lots of warm woolly Aran jumpers for family members over the years I have a blanket chest full of leftover wool ... this winter i knitted my son a thick woolly hat to wear while delivering prescriptions in the snow, one for my daughter when she’s doing her work as a gardener, and one each for OH and myself for our walks ... and I still have a blanket chest full of wool.... I had a think about who could do with warm woolly hats and decided to knit some for the Norwich Rough Sleeping Project ... I reckon that folk who spend a lot of time outside in the winter could probably do with a warm hand-knitted hat to keep their head and ears warm ... they’re too late for the snowy spell this winter ... but they’ll be in time for next winter. I started number seven this evening.

Postby Rainbow » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 am

KeenCook2 wrote:
Goodness, herbi, talk about a trip down memory lane!
When I was little, my highlight was going to the Bentalls sale in Kingston with my mother. We used to get the bus from Walton. We'd also go to Kingston Market.

Have a good day, everyone.

I used to love Bentalls too!! We got the train from Teddington (only 2 stations) and shopped in Kingston quite often. I remember the escalators in Bentalls and the milkshakes in the cafe were a real treat :D

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:00 am

Suffs wrote:Hi Grassy :wave: having knitted lots of warm woolly Aran jumpers for family members over the years I have a blanket chest full of leftover wool ... this winter i knitted my son a thick woolly hat to wear while delivering prescriptions in the snow, one for my daughter when she’s doing her work as a gardener, and one each for OH and myself for our walks ... and I still have a blanket chest full of wool.... I had a think about who could do with warm woolly hats and decided to knit some for the Norwich Rough Sleeping Project ... I reckon that folk who spend a lot of time outside in the winter could probably do with a warm hand-knitted hat to keep their head and ears warm ... they’re too late for the snowy spell this winter ... but they’ll be in time for next winter. I started number seven this evening.

An excellent idea!

Time to hop off now - it's late.

Nit nit
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pampy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:03 am

Does anyone know if there was any mention of people who have had to extend shielding until 31st March? Is this still the case?

Postby Rainbow » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 am

Suffs wrote:Hi Grassy :wave: having knitted lots of warm woolly Aran jumpers for family members over the years I have a blanket chest full of leftover wool ... this winter i knitted my son a thick woolly hat to wear while delivering prescriptions in the snow, one for my daughter when she’s doing her work as a gardener, and one each for OH and myself for our walks ... and I still have a blanket chest full of wool.... I had a think about who could do with warm woolly hats and decided to knit some for the Norwich Rough Sleeping Project ... I reckon that folk who spend a lot of time outside in the winter could probably do with a warm hand-knitted hat to keep their head and ears warm ... they’re too late for the snowy spell this winter ... but they’ll be in time for next winter. I started number seven this evening.

That's a great thing to be doing, Suffs. The craft group I belong to does a lot for charity, including woolly hats for the homeless.
I haven't done any of those but have done quite a few 'Trauma Teddies' for hospital/ambulance/police etc. Anyone who deals with traumatised children - which I think includes Dentists and places where they take blood!!

Postby mistakened » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:13 am

Good Morning Campers, great excitement I have a pedicure appointment later this morning :!: . We will be masked etc and I must have a movement permit.

Greek Orthodox Easter is very late this year, the first weekend in May, with luck our lockdown will have lifted by then. There may not be many foreign tourists permitted entrance but Cypriots will be able to stay in hotels in the next town

Moira :mug:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 am

Morning all. Most exciting event of the day is a Tesco delivery between 10.00 and 11.00 other than that - nothing, nada or whatever it is in any other language :lol:

Great sunrise this morning, even the sky in the west shone pink. I hope that’s not an omen as high winds are predicted today.

Take care.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby icelesley » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 am

Good Morning campers. We had a lovely red sky this morning, but it is quite breezy. The tarpaulin is down and staked to stop it blowing away, the topsoil and compost should be delivered today sometime :limbobanana
The Doctor rang me yesterday at 11 o'clock, bloods good BP good and she is happy I have lost 1 stone 7lbs :thumbsup so updated meds are done for twelve months. :clap Today will be spent hanging around waiting for the delivery, so peeps head this way with your shovels and wheelbarrows. ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 am

Pampy wrote:Does anyone know if there was any mention of people who have had to extend shielding until 31st March? Is this still the case?

I couldn't see anything on the news websites Pampy. All my OH's shielding stuff has come from the NHS by snail mail. He had one letter last week (the seventh)! saying he must continue to shield until after his second jab when he'll be notified again. At present that is sceduled for the middle of April.

I have walked the dog. It's very pleasant out indeed. Next adventure is the tip at 9. Just removing the last of my son's junk.

Postby icelesley » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 am

Hello again. The delivery will be late morning which probably means lunchtime so no rush to get here with your shovels and wheelbarrows :D I am now going to make a bolognese sauce for dinner tonight.

Postby Suffs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:08 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Another mild springlike morning here ... very calm, but lots of activity in the hedges and treetops.

A house around the corner (small cul de sac) has been having a Wiltshire Farm delivery swiftly followed by a Tesco delivery around 9am every Tuesday during lockdown... we had mused on potential problems should they both arrive at once ... we need ponder no more ... they both arrived at once and were then blocked in by parents’ cars dropping off children at the school up the Rise. As predicted, there were ‘problems’. ;)

Postby herbidacious » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 am

Morning. Lovely and sunny. I think this was the weather I was expecting yesterday. Back to work. My back woke me up on and off al night, but much more mobile today. I managed to have a shower :) Will try to get out for a walk later. I want to post something to a colleague/friend who's decamped to Yorkshire. (Some ononomiyaki flour which turned out to have fish in it.)

I did manage to find somewhere to stay for my mother' birthday weekend in the end. (It was not easy, though, and not cheap.) So two nights in Youlegreave (again, but not friend's cottage this tiem. Her cottages are booked up.) It's two nights, the last day being her birthday, so we could have a day to ourselves, I suppose. I had to pay the whole lot up front. Will get a refund if government edicts prevent us from going. If my mother dies... well I guess losing quite a bit more money than I wanted to pay will be the least of my worries. So let's just hope we don't get sick as it's not refundable :o But really I think I had to do this. Or at least I have to go. (We could have stayed at hers… :? But I really really don't want to.)
I just hope the cat sitter can accommodate me... I am sure we will work something out though.

re shops re-opening, I don't miss them at all. (Or rarely.) I think it might take me a long time to get back into the habit of going into them. Probably won't be a regular thing for me until masks go, which could be years?

I had better get on with some work.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:43 am

Morning one and all

I am in a sleeping phase (hallelujah!) and woke at 8.30.Well, I say 'woke', but I merely opened my eye and got out of bed. I still don't think I'm 'awake'.

I am not an avid fan of Mark Drakeford (though the alternatives look even less appealing) but on the whole, he has done a good job. However, the lack of any common strategy (on lifting lockdown) with the other home nations is, in my eyes, a mistake. We MAY be allowed overnight self catering stays over Easter here, so will landlords be forced, yet again, to reject English/Scottish guests for the forseeable. And the non essential shopping ban is just plain daft. Childrens clothes/shoes? Underwear? Bedding? Yes, you can buy it all on line, but if you need it now, it's essential.

I digress.... I must sow sweet peas today. I've had them soaking.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:57 am

Sewed mine at the weekend Sloe :thumbsup

Showery and rather lovely in a wild, early spring way here. More continuous rain coming later but after that the forecast is pretty good, which I'm pleased about as we have a walk planned for Friday. It'll be nice when we're free to travel a little further but we have plenty of fells that come under the 'local area' category luckily.

Ollie is booked at the vet tomorrow for a scale and polish. It's a day job with a general, so no breakfast for him. He seriously won't like that....

Boiler has gone kaput. Must be something in the ether as I know we were talking of boilers just the other day. It made some odd, rumbling noises and then the 'fault' light came on and now it is in full sulk mode. Thankfully, boiler man is coming on Thursday, the weather is milder and we have both a seperate emersion heater and a gas fire.

Have a good day all! :wave:
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:05 pm

Our boiler is being serviced this afternoon!!
And a Waitrose delivery this evening.

A friend is adopting a dog from Romania (her second) so watching the video of her being boarded on the bus. Brings a tear to my eye.

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:17 pm

Good morning. :wave:

We have a lot of cloud but there was a very pink stripe amongst it earlier.

I don’t seem to have any side effects from the jab :crossed but I was absolutely exhausted last night, after a day of not being particularly active. Outcome was I slept for over nine hours last night! Anyone else had the exhaustion thing?

Not sure what I’ll be doing today. If it stays dry I may venture into the garden but the wind looks quite strong. If it’s a cold one the gardening can wait. Will probably have our usual walk for a bit of fresh air anyway.

Have a good day.

Postby liketocook » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Good morning everyone,
Oh no Sea , hope your boiler can be fixed.
Our local knitting group (Stitch "n" bitch lol) knits mainly for the maternity unit but also the RNLI and Fisherman's Mission. They also do some "cost of wool" work for care homes etc. They are always on the look out for spare wool etc. I'm not a knitter despite my Mother's best attempts to get me interested but admire the skill of those who do.
They weren't wrong when it was forecasted to turn wet and wild, it's a horrible day here and it feels much colder. I've admin needing done for the out of school club to keep me out of mischief so no need to venture out except for a quick bin run.
Chicken Cacciatore for dinner this evening, it's just the weather for it. :yum

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm

There's a big passion for Yarn bombing in the nearby Herftordshire villages. I'm not quite sure about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_bombing

Postby scullion » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 pm

good morning, all.
howling wind all night and for the next couple of days - with some rain. what a difference from yesterday.
i think we get some sun back later in the week.
i have to make a gluten free birthday cake, today. that is my only commitment.
doing wifi stuff with our router yesterday, something has been done so although the router says it's connected we have no internet and i'm now having to tether my phone. grrr.
my data allowance may run out before i've found a good recipe.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:39 pm

Good morning
Sunshine here!

Need to to get a dishwasher engineer, I’m not even sure there’s very much wrong with it, stuff comes out perfectly clean but it often doesn’t empty and that’s a bit risky in a first floor flat with wooden floors. The local yokels on FB almost unanimously recommend Ben, so I’ll check him out.

I’m really annoyed with the Grauniad, I emailed their customer services to ask, politely, why they had renewed my subscription without providing either an invoice or a notification. I have not received a reply from the address I contacted, not even an automated acknowledgment. But I did receive a request to complete a survey on “how well we resolved your recent issue”. Not the first organisation to have done this, to send the survey without taking any other action. I emailed both addresses over a week ago asking them to actually do something but again, no response. So I’ve now Tweeted them.

Have a good day everyone

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox