Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:16 pm

Waitrose done. Very quiet thankfully.

Have come home to an email from a coach/consultant asking me if I would like to improve my cricketing skills! :lol: I think it's a bit late in the day really.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:22 pm

Morning all! :wave. Raining again. I think doctors prioritise calls which might be more of an emergency on Monday mornings, icey.

Glad you went out PP, I think it's good for the soul to get some fresh air even if the weather's foul and you're only out for 10 minutes. Did the Zoom quiz go well?

I attended to all my birthday flowers yesterday, adding more water, cutting dead bits off etc. They are all still looking lovely after nearly a week. It will seem quite empty when they are finally all over.

A bit of tidying up overdue this morning and the obligatory short walk, then I shall prepare the study table for my window creation. I am sticking the tissue onto tracing paper this year and prepared the latter last night.

Go for it PP! You know you're supposed to take up new hobbies in retirement!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:23 pm

Morning. Back to dull after a lovely day yeterday.

I was achy and stiff this morning, but then I bent over to put cat food on the floor. The pain was so intense I yelled and started to faint. So I am out of action today. I can at least sit up now. Should I be lying down, or does it not matter? I have a heat pad on it and have taken iburpofen but still very painful indeed. I did have plans today, which largely involved physical activity, as it was to be another day off. (Have requested it to be changed to sick leave on our new, automated HR site.) I guess i can at least be reading up on how to set up the propogator and lights if husband can find the instructions for me...

I have a great fondness for John Lewis. It's not as good as it was (I really think it's not and this is not some rose tinted nostalgia thing) but I still feel loyal to it. It loomed large in my childhood, as Cole Brothers, primarily as a source of 'treat' fabric for my mother (she bought most of hers on the market) and patterns, and I think it was a bit of an anchor point for me when I left home and was miserable/homesick in London. The one on Oxford st had a massive area devoted to fabric on the ground floor. I used to live near the one on Holloway Road as well at one point. I am sorry Debenhams has gone and that the House of Frazer seems to be on the way out, but would be really sorry if JL went altogether.
I do hate what they did with the kitchen equipment in the Oxford st. shop, though.

One imagines that Selfridges and Harrods manage to keep afloat party as tourist attractions?

Also very sad that all the little independents are disappearing. My friend’s husband iis a buyer for Atkinsons in Sheffield. Apparently all the indies get together periodically for conferences. There must be dwindling numbers of attendees.
RIP Boswells of Oxford etc.

Now this is nostalgic

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/20 ... -robinson/

as is this

https://www.eightieskids.com/12-more-st ... -remember/

Postby liketocook » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:35 pm

Good morning everyone,
Ouch herbi I hope your back eases quickly :newhuggy , I'm achy too today after gardening yesterday but only to be expected after months of not using the muscles.
It's lovely here this morning but to change back to wet and wild overnight. I want to get a pot of turkey and veg soup on the go once I've finished my :mug: and must phone the dentist to reschedule my check up then it's back outside for some more garden tidying.

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:45 pm

good morning, all.
sunny - all day - it looks to be a two loaf day.
Rainbow wrote:'m interested to know how you make it, Scullion. Is it very tricky?

no, very easy.

by proportion it's ⅓ - ½ of oil (depending on how 'oily' you want the finished cream). included in this weight is 5% of total weight in emulsifying wax (needed to stop the oil and water separating).
½ of distilled/filtered water (in which i also add a bit of rosewater).
0.5% of total weight in preservative (which is needed if it isn't all going to be used in a short time.
a little (about 0.5% give or take) vitamin e or a can also be added if you want.

so my basic recipe is:
15g coconut oil
5g shea butter
5g emulsifying wax
20g water
5g rosewater
0.5g preservative.
the oils and wax are heated together as are in another vessel, the waters to the same temperature as the oils (approx 70°c) whizz together with a stick blender. as it emulsifies and cools add the preservative. whizz a bit more, jar in sterilised or dishwashered jars.

i use a couple of small jars (like the individual jam portion ones) and keep one in the fridge until needed. it takes longer to scrape off the stick blender and jar up than it does the weighing and making!
it's more a night cream than a day cream. i suppose i could source some sunblock to add in but i just use what ingredients i have at the moment.
somewhere, i have the (st john's institute) recipe for the hand cream that was made by the technicians at the college i went to, for using after hand washing in clinic. maybe one day i'll come across it again! i used to make it for giving as christmas presents when i couldn't afford much.
coffee drunk, better get on.
have a glorious day, everyone.

ps. the preservative i'm using is called 'geogard'.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 pm

Morning; in contrast, seemingly, to the rest of the country, we have a bright, quiet day so far.

I have been given some garlic sets, so it's an ideal day to plant them. Harvest may be a little late, but it does say you can plant till March.

I haven't been in a JL for years and the last time I was in Waitrose was the tiny one on Anglesey. However, the loss of jobs is frightening and sad for those involved. We have a new butcher opened on our nearest high street, but we really need a first class greengrocers and bakery. I think Greggs in the only one left and I don't patronise them!!

Herbi, a bit late for your back pain today, but a soft weightlifting belt really helps and gives much needed support. It really is debilitating when it happens.

Not a cloud in the sky; must crack on

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 pm

Gosh Herbi, those videos are like having your life flash before your eyes! I am as guilty as the next person in not having used department and other stores so much in recent years but have reached an age where I am always trying to get rid of 'stuff' and clothes rather than accumulate more. John Lewis Home store in High Wycombe came into my life just when I was buying things for the house and was like an Aladdin's cave. The one that opened in Swindon was lovely to start with but changed over the few years it was there so that there was little 'wow' factor left and the department which sold electronic goods changed from a place which offered sound advice to less well trained young men just trying to get a sale. No surprises they lost customers.

When I was small, we'd go up to Selfridges almost for the day, shopping In all the different departments including food. We used to go to the hairdressers there too. I remember a beautiful rocking horse in the salon which children could ride on. When my father was a small boy in the 20s, he liked riding up and down in the lift at Grants in Croydon. His mother would leave him with the lift man and go off and do her shopping! Children are missing out on so much now!

Sorry to hear about your back. I am a great believer in getting the assistance of an osteopath and of pilates to try and keep things going. I don't like either much but they have been great for my family, my father especially who spent years with awful back trouble.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm

What EM said about backs is spot on Herbi. I had back trouble for years when I played the bass. A chiropractor sorted me out although I do have to give up playing. Hope it eases soon.

We only did Selfridge’s at Christmas when I was small. There was a creepy dressed up bloke called Mr Holly who looked like the Mad Hatter and then we would go and see Santa.

Our Debenhams closed last year. Amazed it kept going for so long as it was awful.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:43 pm

Suelle wrote:
KeenCook2 wrote:

I also fancy making the lemon spice cake I happened upon when I was trying to get into a NYT link Sue posted - I couldn't get into that but this appeared unsolicited!
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... ons&rank=1
There were a lot of comments that seemed quite useful, the one most repeated that the stated baking time is too long!

I couldn't follow that link, but found the recipe elsewhere (from the original source), if anyone else is interested. I've added it to my list of recipes to try!

https://doriegreenspan.com/recipe/a-cak ... -anywhere/

Made half quantities yesterday but kept the same amount of spices as for the full recipe. Am disappointed. Very dense and given that I used extra spice, could not taste them at all.

Kacey wrote:I don't, unlike the drops you can aim better, I just lie on one side for about 5 mins. Luckily I only ever have a blockage on one side at a time

Thx, Kacey :thumbsup

EM, good luck with your Blue Peter project :lol:

Herbi, ouch :newhuggy

Goodness, herbi, talk about a trip down memory lane!
When I was little, my highlight was going to the Bentalls sale in Kingston with my mother. We used to get the bus from Walton. We'd also go to Kingston Market.

Have a good day, everyone.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:01 pm

liketocook wrote:Ouch herbi I hope your back eases quickly :newhuggy , I'm achy too today after gardening yesterday but only to be expected after months of not using the muscles. .

Thanks, ltc. I think the text I coloured is the key thing for me. I knew as I was doing it, there was a danger, so all my own fault. Manure is a lot heavier than compost, especially after rain and snow. I should have warmed up with a few bags of that. In the height of summer I easily took 20 bags from the front ot the house to the back in a short space of time.

Postby Busybee » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Our childhood department store, and day out twice a year was Schofields in Leeds. Long gone now.

WP Browns in York is still going, as is Fenwicks although I think it may now be owned by one of the big groups. We finally got a John Lewis is York 6/7 years ago, although I’m always disappointed when I shop there. It’s a small store by John Lewis standards invariably they never have what I went in for, and whilst the staff always helpfully offer to order what I want online and have it delivered to home, I could have done that without the thirty mile round trip!

Sometimes you just want to see/feel/touch an item before committing to buy it. You used to be able to rely on the staff really knowing the products, this doesn’t seem to reliably happen now. I’d be sorry to see them close but if I look back at what I have used them for the last few years.......big electrical items/white goods - handy because of the extended guarantee or bedding. I used to buy nearly everything there.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:23 pm

We had Binns in Sheffield, which became Walshes, then Rackhams then House of Fraser.

There were rather a lot of department stores there back in the 70s. Cole Brothers, Binns, C&A, BHS, Debenhams, M&S (it is one, kind of, now, although back then just clothes and food) Schofields, Atkinsons... Banners in Attercliffe, apparently, although I never went there (mother was snooty about north Sheffield. I only ever went north of the Wicker once, apart from to visit my father in hospital.)

It's not hard to imagine why department stores are now failing. Debenhams and the House of Fraser on Oxford st also seemed to have a massive morale problem in years of late.
I suppose they were a bit like the physical version of internet shpping, in their day. Everything in once place. The massive in- and outdoor markets were the downmarket (and arguably more exciting) version of this.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:EM, good luck with your Blue Peter project

Blue Peter? :o.These are works of art! :lol: :lol:
https://www.windowwanderland.com/area-g ... n-gallery/

Gosh, I remember going to see Father Christmas at Bentalls in Kingston. I was given a toy make up set and was very impressed! We moved away from the area when I was 6, on to the delights of Arnold's (later Debenhams) and Palmers (closed last year :( ) in Yarmouth and Bonds (now John Lewis) and Curls (later Debenhams) in Norwich.

I remember visiting Sheffield circa 1980 and being very impressed indeed with the indoor market.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:44 pm

Aout twice a year, we'd take the train to liverpool, where Mum's aunt was Matron (or had been) of the Livepool Royal. I had to be on my very best behaviour. She'd treat us to lunch somewhere like Hendersons (burned down) or George Henry Lees, where waitresses in white aprons and mob caps scuttled round. It was torture, because she always decided what we'd have, irrespective of you actually liking it. Oxtail soup and tongue featured, IIRC.
Then she'd take us into the children's wear department and choose something for me (again, tough if I didn't like it. I got 'the look' from Mum).
We'd buy a sixpenny mars bar to eat on the way home, where Mum would comment on the other passengers in Welsh.

Postby mistakened » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:but we really need a first class greengrocers and bakery

We are very lucky, there is splendid greengrocer in Erimi and a couple of bakers. Most of the supermarkets including the chains have excellent fruit and veg, mostly loose, very little prepacked. The bakers tend to have specialities peculiar to their shop. One used to make a plaited garlic loaf, it was v popular and seldom got past the trays carrying it to the shelves.
I used to go to Selfridges as treat on my day off, ditto Harrods and love the fabrics in John Lewis

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:11 pm

Good afternoon
Slept straight through the morning, I seem to do this roughly every 10th day, no obvious connection with events of the day before

Ouch Herbi :newhuggy get better soon

I like and use the flagship John Lewis on Oxford Street which has a Waitrose in the basement but my personal feeling is that department stores lost their way when they stopped having proper departments with staff who were expert in their stock, and started having little shops within shops, if I want to buy Joules chinos I will go to their flagship store nearby, not a department store with half the colours and sizes.

When I was looking at espresso machines I got the guided tour of one, and then asked to see the one next to it, but the guy wasn’t allowed to show me that as he was employed and trained by Sage not JL and there was nobody in from Gaggia. Who is going to make an effort to go to a department store for that lack of service?

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm

Yes. That's exactly what happened with our Debenham's Sue. Shops within shops. It was happening to BHS when they closed down too.

When we're (ever) out of this I must try Selfridge's again. I love the Salt Beef Bar there, one of my favorite places to eat.

Patsy will remember Suter's and Randall's in Uxbridge. They were the posh shops back in the day.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:22 pm

Does anyone remember the ice cream soda bar in Selfridges circa 1965? I think it was on the ground floor. A massive treat if my mother came down to London with me when I was going back to boarding school. Where did good ice cream sodas go?

Postby aero280 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 pm

Lots of medical stuff on here this morning...

I had a saga with the doctors systems. I just needed to make a routine appointment. I rang and there were a string of announcements before I was connected. Then there was a message saying that I could make appointments online via the practice website. So I went there.

I was sent to the "NHS app". There were a load of hoops to jump through to join, including photographing my driving licence, scanning my face, confirmation emails, finding my NHS number, security codes sent to my mobile, etc., etc. Took about half an hour altogether.

Eventually I got there and went to make the appointment...

... "The practice is not accepting online bookings at the moment. Please phone..." :roll:
Last edited by aero280 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby dennispc » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:31 pm

JL in Exeter has a reasonable coffee and lunch place, their computer section is good for advice. Being in the city centre its toilets are certainly a convenience! :D

We'd miss Waitrose as it’s our local shop, providing two hours free parking. Another convenience!

M&S in Taunton has a pay car park in town centre.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox