Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Today's Sunday Telegraph is reporting that another 8 John Lewis stores are to close. Hope it doesn't include our nearest at High Wycombe.

Goodness, I'd think that one would still do well. I used to love going there when I worked nearby, to buy things and enjoy the restaurant. Our JL Home store closed during lockdown. The only shops which seem popular now are B&M, Gregg's, Primark and similar. We talked of changes since childhood on another thread, I doubt any if us could have imagined our high streets disappearing :(.

The Lemon Spice Cake looks rather nice and 'different'. Trying not to eat cake at the moment .... :roll:.

I

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:21 pm

This is the JL closure list
Croydon.
Swindon.
Newbury.
Watford, intu Shopping Centre.
Heathrow Terminal Two.
Tamworth.
London St Pancras Train Station.
Birmingham, Bullring Shopping Centre.

The Heathrow and St Pancras ones are small and have always been pretty pointless

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:42 pm

My greenhouse is now operational! So far, only 3 kinds of herbs, but even so...

I joined the human race again today, by entering a supermarket. Of course, I forgot the obligatory list, but I did pretty well - and remembered the one thing I really needed; face cream!

I have a Waitrose order on Tuesday, full of things I cannot buy in any other place around here. I am rather ashamed of myself though: I won a great taste 2 star award for my preserved lemons in 2014 and now buy them from Belazu. Note to self; get finger out and order lemons

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:This is the JL closure list
Croydon.
Swindon.
Newbury.
Heathrow Terminal Two.
Tamworth.

The Heathrow and St Pancras ones are small and have always been pretty pointless

No, I think that’s the old list. Watford closed ages ago. The article in one of the papers was suggesting really large stores such as Cambridge, Nottingham and Liverpool. All guesses at this stage though. I bet they’ll also close a few Waitrose too.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 pm

EM you are welcome to ice cream. I made it quite strongly coffee flavoured. The orange and chocolate one is rather delish too. It all came about because our local Morrisons were selling whipping cream (that they use in their cake dept.) off for a pound a litre. I bought one and then had to do something with it. So together with a tin of condensed milk I know have a good quantity of ice cream in the DF.

I too have struggled with 2nd lockdown amongst other issues. Can't wait to see what Bojo has planned for us tomorrow. I am getting towards needing a haircut soon.

This afternoon after the rain had stopped we spent time fixing chicken wire to the wooden stairs of the studio above the garage. They had, over time, during the winter become a bit slippy but are now much better and I feel more confident on them.

A very late lunch (4pm) of swordfish, mixed veg, a baked potato for him and I finished off the Orzo pasta. An early night for me, all that fresh air has tired me out.

Night all

Postby herbidacious » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:01 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Morning all! Decidedly damp here. The forecast shows the next full sunshine appearing for two hours on Tuesday. I'll be there!

I've had bamboo socks as presents before. They are really lovely to wear but, as has been said, plain ones are virtually impossible to find and they are usually quite short. I like long socks so that there's no leg showing when wearing trousers, even when sitting.

https://www.sockshop.co.uk/shop/ladies- ... ial/bamboo

And the Boots ankle bamboo socks are great. The soft top element particularly good. They are not particularly thin.

I am a fan of bamboo full stop. I used to buy bamboo t-shirts on Amazon but they stopped selling the style I liked. Bamboo clothing tends to be marketed at yoga people so more often than not, not what I want. Not keen on little capped sleeves either. Not flattering unless you have stick thin arms and I don't like things cutting into my armpits. It is surprisingly hard to find the perfect-shirt. Not too clingy or tight-fitting, crew neck but not too small or too generous...e tc. Seasalt does bamboo stuff from time to time too.
Basically bamboo tends to be nice and soft stops your sweat from smelling... :?

Postby herbidacious » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:14 pm

That's sad about the JL shops. I used to use the one at St P to pick up orders. Obviously I could do this at Waitrose but it was quite fun to have an excuse to pop down to St. P in my lunch hour. (There was a stall that sold rather good spicy savoury muffins outside Kings Cross. Oh and the Ecclefechan stall... Not being nostalgic here. Would still rather not have to commute into the office!)

I had a substantial session in the garden today - 'digging' (augering), dragging and applying large sacks of manure, tyring to pick up the slate (worse than I thought), pruning and then more sedate seed sowing. I am aching and very tired in spite of a nap. Lots of flowers coming out - little stumpy irises, dianthus, crocuses, camelia, saxifrage, an anemone and the mimosa. Lots of seeds coming up too - aubergines, chilli, more hollyhocks, and garlic. (I still have some to plant... Might stick it in among the perpetual spinach and/or kale. Why didn't I think to do this before?) The forced rhubarb is coming along nicely too. A beautiful vibrant pink.
I have tomorrow off. I need to set up the new massive propagator… which I regret buying. It’s going to have to go in the spare bedroom, which is a tip, as my mother would say, so ideally I need to attempt to clear the room a bit first. Hopefully I will have recovered more tomorrow.

I got a letter yesterday to say my mother has her memory clinic home visit appointment in a few weeks. I do wonder what, if anything, they can do to help.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:52 pm

I need to check out Sock Shop properly again, but they tend to patterns and to the dreaded mixed packs - are retailers incapable of understanding that if they put 3 different pairs of socks or knickers or packets of crisps in a multipack, by definition only one is what I really want? Or are people so stupid or just tired of looking they pay up for two items they don’t like to get one that they do? It’s something of a scam IMO

What I’m looking for is a load of black socks, and about half as many denim blue (not navy which I can’t always pick out from black). Maybe some white and a really bright colour.

I don’t know what the memory clinics offer now Herbi, when my mother was seen it was nearly 10 years ago, and things change

Postby aero280 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 pm

Matalan do cheap bamboo socks.

Postby Pampy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:55 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:This is the JL closure list
Croydon.
Swindon.
Newbury.
Heathrow Terminal Two.
Tamworth.

No, I think that’s the old list. Watford closed ages ago. The article in one of the papers was suggesting really large stores such as Cambridge, Nottingham and Liverpool. All guesses at this stage though. I bet they’ll also close a few Waitrose too.

Yes, those closures were announced last August.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:19 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
What I’m looking for is a load of black socks, and about half as many denim blue (not navy which I can’t always pick out from black). Maybe some white and a really bright colour.

Again, do look at Boots for the black ones at least. Unfortunately one of the three in the 3 pack of blue is navy.

https://www.boots.com/sitesearch?search ... oo%20socks

I have to keep a torch in my sock/tights drawer to distinguish dark blue from black.

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 am

i haven't worn a 'pair' of socks since i was old enough to choose what i wore for myself - not dictated by junior school or my mother.

i can't say i would miss them if both john lewis and waitrose closed. i have only been in a branch of john lewis once since the late seventies (i think) and waitrose once every two or three months (not including the last year - when i haven't been at all).
i wouldn't miss m and s, either - can't remember the last time i went in there - it must be about ten years ago.

Sloe-Gin wrote:I joined the human race again today, by entering a supermarket. [...] - and remembered the one thing I really needed; face cream!

i ran out of that the other day - so made some more.

Postby Rainbow » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:38 am

scullion wrote:
Sloe-Gin wrote:I joined the human race again today, by entering a supermarket. [...] - and remembered the one thing I really needed; face cream!

i ran out of that the other day - so made some more.

I'm interested to know how you make it, Scullion. Is it very tricky?

Postby mistakened » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:14 am

Good Morning Campers, nothing happening here.
We do not have big department stores, the population is not large enough. The three M&S stores are small by UK standards and a franchise,

Moira :mug:

Postby icelesley » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:01 am

Good Morning campers. It's raining. I have a telephone consult with the Doctor this morning to review my meds. Our nearest M&S closed about 18 months ago, JL has never been in our area so we won't miss it.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 am

Greetings from deepest Leeds. It’s dull and rainy here but at least it’s a bit warmer.

I’ve got the usual planned for today - nothing :lol:. Well I was going to go to Sainsbury’s later to pick up some stuff that I couldn’t get on tomorrow’s shopping order, Tesco for a change, but that’s on hold as I ordered something from M&S yesterday and I got an email this morning saying it’s being delivered today but don’t know when yet.

Take care.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:34 am

Very mild again here and I've been out with the dog for the first time in a week. Plenty of squirrels to chase (her, not me) so she is happy.

No plans today other than a Waitrose shop. My son borrowed my car over the weekend and we are almost out of bread, milk and dog food.

Postby WolfGirl » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:32 am

Good morning. :wave

Rain is persisting down and it’s very dark. Hoping that clears up.

Vaccines were administered yesterday. Very straightforward. We were probably queueing for about 20mins and had the Astra Zeneca one. Felt a bit hot overnight but that’s nothing unusual! My arm seems to be fine too, the flu jab was worse. Glad it’s done, next one in May.

Think today will be mainly a chores sort of day. Deep joy.

Enjoy yours, whatever it involves.

Postby Suffs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:41 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Goodness me you’ve done some chatting since I popped in yesterday. I got rather distracted by The Alamo and Two Mules for Sister Sara ... the first is visually gorgeous ... fabulous colour and beautifully constructed shots .., and the second has a great score and Clint Eastwood and Shirley MacLaine... what’s not to enjoy? 8-)

Today has been deemed SPGOWTPW Day (Stop Procrastinating Get On With The Paperwork) :roll: I will drink a coffee and by then hopefully the Artist will be in the studio and I can spread stuff out in the dining table. It’s more congenial to do the shuffling and sorting down here rather than up in the study.
Last edited by Suffs on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby icelesley » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:42 am

Its stopped raining :limbobanana I am still waiting for the Doctor to ring, I thought I might be first in line as it was over two weeks ago the call was booked, but no I am still waiting. :(

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox