Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:30 pm

It was supposed to be sunny here today, but we were in Sussex where the sun was in and out. For those who are growing things, there will be a radical temperature drop in the early hours of Monday moring. -1 in SE London. -3 in South Yorkshire.

We only walked about 6km today, but are both exhausted. Mind you the drive home was tiring. About two hours to travel about 30 miles.
Had a Greggs-cum-Costa picnic lunch which was trashy (sandwich and cake) but neverthelss quite nice for being very different from what I have been eating on my (fruitless) diet for the last month.
Cheese and Peter's Yard biscuits with Bungay butter for dinner :)

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:36 pm

Bungay butter is fabulous Herbi ... and I love driving past those beautiful cows on the water meadows. https://fenfarmdairy.co.uk/raw-butter/

Looks like it’ll soon be time for a new WAC thread :shock: ... lots of chatter been going on ... but for now it’s bedtime ... night night all ... sleep tight ... :yawn

Postby mistakened » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:32 am

Good Morning Campers, it is a bit soggy here this morning, more rain to come. I have a trip to the supermarket, oh the excitement :o

Moira :mug:

Postby Suffs » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:03 am

Good morning Moira and everyone else as you arrive :D :mug: :mug: :mug:
Hold on Moira ... we’re coming with you ... we’re almost out of onions and potatoes .... and toothpaste!
OH wants to get in and out of W’rose before the rest of the village is awake ... thing is, I slept like a log and I’ve only just woken ... :yawn

Postby mistakened » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:19 am

Suffs wrote:OH wants to get in and out of W’rose before the rest of the village is awake

We are running out of imported Waitrose products, one of this morning's tasks is to find a suitable substitute for Waitrose Porridge Oats for Deb's breakfast porridge. There are similar problems with Tesco products, English Cheddar cheese is disappearing.

Moira

Postby icelesley » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:02 am

Good Morning campers. We have frost this morning :o Sloe our local supermarkets are always open on Easter Sunday just reduced hours. They only close on Christmas day. :shock:
OH has had his call for his second covid jab next Thursday, my first one was two weeks after his first, so hopefully I will get a call soon too for my second. :crossed

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:31 am

Morning all! :wave. Dull and decidedly 'fresh' outside today.

Up quite early to give me time to wake up. Off for a walk with GD and her mum this morning and then expecting a peaceful weekend. Just having a few more outside activities this week has been a shock to the system after tootling along with few commitments for months.

Hot Cross Bun day at last! One of my very favourite days of the year to look forward to. Perhaps the real meaning of the day shouldn't be greeted with quite so much excitement but ....!

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:40 am

icelesley wrote:Good Morning campers. We have frost this morning :o Sloe our local supermarkets are always open on Easter Sunday just reduced hours. They only close on Christmas day. :shock:
:crossed

Then they are breaking the law or small enough to get round it. The only shops open round here on Easter Sunday are the small corner shops.

https://www.gov.uk/trading-hours-for-retailers-the-law

Morning all.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 am

Morning from a bright but cold Welsh hill.
Haircut this afternoon. Deep joy.

Postby Suffs » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:13 am

We’ve returned with supplies ... OH will have his breakfast porridge then unload the car. I spent a very pleasant 35 mins reading and listening to a songthrush in the churchyard ... it didn’t stop singing all the time I was there :D

Now it’s time to put the sourdough loaf that was proving all night into the oven.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:24 am

Suffs wrote:Bungay butter is fabulous Herbi ... and I love driving past those beautiful cows on the water meadows. https://fenfarmdairy.co.uk/raw-butter/

It certainly is. It has a really good flavour. (Purchased in Penge, on this occasion!) And I have ancestors from Bungay too. :)

Dull here, but sun is promised for later. I think I might try to take it easy today. Still tired from yesterday (and husband is still asleep. He seems to have either a cold or an allergy which antihistamines are not sorting out, too.)

We are taking Basil to the vet's for a 11am appointment for a check up. We were going to get planks for a new raised bed, but Travis Perkins is on Saturday opening hours today and shuts at 12 today, so this might be a tomorrow morning thing. Could get the other bits and bobs required though from a DIY shop. We need to get moving with this as the concrete foundation will be laid next weekend(ish).

I could do to go to Sainsbury's too. Waitrose is still not an option unless you are prepared to queue for at least half an hour. An M&S shop would be nice and is probably doable.

Has this thing about not opening on Easter Sunday always been the case? I could have sworn Sainsbury's opened on Easter Sunday, but no. Mind you, I am usually in France... I suppose that means it may be busy. I just checked M&S and curiously it just says closed on Sunday but open on Easter Monday.

Talking of France, I was sent about 20 pictures of our very clean house, yesterday. I am not sure the floors have ever gleamed quite like that whilst we have owned it. I will be being billed shortly. They spent two whole days on it I think so bracing myself, a bit (the Brits in France tend to charge more than the French - the people who did it are the people who do the grass, and we have been unable to find any French person to do the grass so...), but it will be worth it.

Postby mistakened » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:50 am

Back from the supermarket, I managed to find Jumbo Oats, they meet with Madam's approval. The baking supplies for Easter are now in stock, including a lot of cans of Spry, the local cooks use vegetable fats not butter.

Everywhere is soaked after last nights rain, there is new snow on the mountain with more to come. Snow in April in Cyprus, ridiculous :o

Moira

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 am

good morning, all.
brightening to sunny.
dough is being prepped for me to take to the 'garden party' with the girls, at twelve.
i had a delivery from that river company, yesterday, of some gravel trays and a packet of inulin.they arrived in a box that could have taken at least twenty times what was actually in it.
the inulin is an experiment of something from michael moseley's programme on sleep last week. a small teaspoon before bed is meant to give better sleep. it may have been psychosomatic but i wasn't awake for the dawn chorus and usually for an hour or more. i will only be convinced if it still happens for the next week or two.
better shift.
have a glorious day, everyone.

Postby liketocook » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:11 am

Good morning everyone,
Misty with a heavy frost first thing here but it's lovely and sunny now.
Elder son and DIL-to-be are popping by to pick up some boxes they still have in my garage, I've not seen them in person for a couple of months so I'm looking forward to a socially distanced catch up in the garden.
Tesco delivery is due soon but apart from that I want to make the most of the sunshine.
Toasted hot cross buns with cheese for lunch, my favourite way to have them. :yum

Postby herbidacious » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:13 am

I am interested in the inulin...

Postby herbidacious » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 am

Yesterday there was a bird of prey circling. It was too high to get a good shot with the lens I had with me, alas. It had a single two-second screech. Any ideas?
I was just playing bird of prey sounds and Lily responded the same way she does to whistling. Purred, rolled over coquetishly but looked a bit disconcerted. I had always thought this was to do with kittens...

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:47 am

Good morning all

Going to meet someone for a walk at lunch time, will make a change, expecting a good discussion

it’s overcast and cool but not cold here. Must water some outdoor plants as not expecting real rain for days, good to do it while the pots can warm up again before the cold nights arrive. My 3 varieties of basil in the propagator and some bedding plants outside have all germinated

Scully, I had heard of inulin and had used it both in the lab and as a prebiotic. Given that it seems to work on sleep simply as a prebiotic, I’d be quite surprised if it made much difference to someone who already eats pulses, grains, and root veg.

Have a good day everyone

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:02 pm

Morning all :wave: 5.30 Taxi done and also a visit to B&Q to get the paint mixed for the walls and wood panelling in the kitchen .. Cold here so I won't be moving far. I am looking forward to a quiet day as I never stopped all day yesterday emptying drawers and some cupboards in the kitchen and being the tea wallah for the builder guy. Also had a few bad nights over the last couple of weeks including last night too .. my re-diverted digestive system causes this quite often. :roll:

herbidacious wrote:
Has this thing about not opening on Easter Sunday always been the case? I could have sworn Sainsbury's opened on Easter Sunday, but no. Mind you, I am usually in France... I suppose that means it may be busy. I just checked M&S and curiously it just says closed on Sunday but open on Easter Monday.

I know that GC's can't open on Easter Sunday. That is the only place I would consider going on Easter Sunday. I never have understood the need to buy anything else on that day when you have the extra bank holidays on either side, so wouldn't know what else is shut too.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:04 pm

scullion wrote:the inulin is an experiment of something from michael moseley's programme on sleep last week. a small teaspoon before bed is meant to give better sleep. it may have been psychosomatic but i wasn't awake for the dawn chorus and usually for an hour or more. i will only be convinced if it still happens for the next week or two.

I must give that a go Scully - I seem to have missed that programme .. :thumbsup

Postby mistakened » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:05 pm

herbidacious wrote:Yesterday there was a bird of prey circling. It was too high to get a good shot with the lens I had with me, alas. It had a single two-second screech. Any ideas?

According to the Birders, it is a buzzard until you actually manage to establish its identity

Moira

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox