Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:23 am

Good morning, good luck with the downsizing NLB

There was a good April Fool on the Morning Show, they recruited Gethin Jones’ fitness buddy to get him to do a sort of funky chicken dance, convincing him it was a new trendy fitness exercise :D

The big change to me in Easter shops is that Good Friday and Christmas Day used to be the only 2 days that no newspaper was printed and no shop opened. Good Friday is now fully almost open

Cooler than yesterday but still dry here, have a nice day

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Hope daughter gets a diagnosis and treatment very soon Patsy :newhuggy
Brrr! I was getting used to that nice sunshine :roll:
OH spent some minutes staring out of the window to see what I was pointing at :lol:
Next door’s husband locked her out when she went to the post box this morning. He was in the back garden and I had to shout over the fence to tell him. She thought it was an April Fool ... it wasn’t ... he had no idea of the date ... now he’s on coffee making duty ALL DAY!!!
We’re expecting someone to pick up a leaky hose and an old but working windup reel that we put on Freecycle yesterday ... he said he’d be here around 10:30 so we’ve sanitised it and put it on the drive ...
Last edited by Suffs on Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:36 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:
Next job is the most unpleasant - downsizing my books. To say that I have a lot of books is an understatement and I’m loathe to throw them away but unfortunately I can only give away so many and charity shops I’ve contacted don’t want them as they have sufficient stock because they haven’t sold anything due to being closed.

Could you sell the books through a site like musicmagpie.co.uk or advertise them on Freecycle?

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:46 am

Ah well, I thought it was too good to be true, electrician not coming for technical inspection today as it's non-essential work. I was surprised when it was seemingly going ahead due to the current restrictions here. Lovely guy who was out in Feb, called me when the technical team bounced it back to this morning unactioned. In normal circumstances I'd be narked but we live in "interesting" times and the guy who called has given me his mobile in case it falls into a black hole again. Job has been provisionally rebooked for a couple of weeks....

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:54 am

Talk about left hand not knowing what right hand's doing ltc!

Our local Freecycle folded up. There was some argy bargey where people got in arguments with others and it got nasty. I miss it very much. People use Facebook local selling now which isn't the same at all.

I must look at music magpie - I've got books no-one round here wants. I was saving them for when NT bookshops are in the market for more.

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm

Yes definitely EM, it explains why I couldn't see it on my account as it was sitting in limbo with the contractors who do the inspection. I'd be annoyed if the chap hadn't called to explain and apologise and I'd been stuck in waiting for them all day! But he did and I'm not so hey-ho :)
Our Freecycle was the same but there's a local FB page for bartering and free stuff which is well used. It started as a school uniform swap/sell page but expanded when the Freecycle group collapsed. The out of school club got some marvellous out door large size games that someone wanted rid of quickly and even delivered to us.

Postby mistakened » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:11 pm

Radio 3 have just played Dudley Moore's Colonel Bogey Variations in the style of Beethoven in honour of the day :D
Meanwhile it is raining here, not hard but enough to be a nuisance.

It is a serious Bank Holiday here, Independence Day, all the shops are shut, the only traffic is the occasional pick up owned by a local farmer. I hope that the parades finished before the rain started. No evidence of the Cypriot Air Force, perhaps their helicopters are not permitted to get wet :roll:

Moira

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:31 pm

Morning!
Patsy :newhuggy :crossed

Icey, how exciting! What are you getting and have you got a maiden trip planned?
That said, I haven't actually taken our new car out since we got it on Monday :oops:

EM, Easter biscuits sound like a really good idea :thumbsup

We used to have a rabbit shaped jelly mould when the boys were little :D

There was a story a couple of days ago in the Mail and the Telegraph :wino about Oxford University music department abandoning classical notation as being too elitist ... did they get their dates wrong?

ETA I just got an email from Democracy Unleashed with the subject line "We did it! Government commits to PR reform from 2028" I'm afraid I was taken in for a short while :oops: Wishful thinking :lol:

OH and I are both suffering from a sore back after yesterday's exploits in the garden, but we've still got quite a lot to do ... apparently OH has used most of the voltarol gel on his knee :roll: so we'll have to get some more ...

See you later :D

ps blind baked quiche pastry didn't bubble up this time :thumbsup but part of the side shrunk away from the dish :?
Last edited by KeenCook2 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:52 pm

good morning, all.
sunny - a bread day.
i need new wellies. the tiny hole that i thought was in only one is dwarfed by the ones further up, round the ankle, in both. the decision is between wearing reefs to the beach or carrying on with the wellies and being careful until i get replacements - and leaving a towel in the car for either choice.
a long walk, natter, two cups of coffee and cake were had yesterday. it was good to see a face i hadn't seen since last year.
i took the kitchen scissors and with her help (and her non leaking wellies) my little jar of kelp powder is being replenished.
tomorrow will be a garden party/lunch with 'las gallinas' - who also haven't met up since last year. we'll be celebrating the fact that we are all still here.
we have a book-swap box in one of the village shops - and i saw a bench over in aggie that was being used as such, too (although i assume someone was weather watching for it). are there any such things near you, nlb?
i think a healthier day of eating is needed today - far too much cake and other carbs for my liking, yesterday.
coffee gone.
have a grand day, everyone.

ps
We used to have a rabbit shaped jelly mould when the boys were little :D

i have two - an aluminium one i bake in and the inherited glass one - from my childhood.
we had one of the aluminium ones when i was a child, too, but i picked mine up in a charity shop when my kids were little. i used to bake our christmas tofu loaf in it - there was the usual fight for the head or the tail.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:07 pm

I got the doll's wardrobe mentioned recently from our FB page. I quite like that you can ask a price or offer things free. I've never sold anything on it (or tried to).

KC2, have you tried leaving the pastry hanging over the sides when baking blind and trimming it when cooked? It usually helps if you suffer from shrinking sides (I wish I suffered from that :lol:).

I've got a plastic rabbit jelly mould which GD loves. I had a joint 60th birthday tea party with an old school friend who lives locally and we played games and had food remembered from childhood which went down well with friends. We found 2 plastic rabbit moulds in a kitchen shop and made trying to turn the jelly out in one piece part of the teatime entertainment! I didn't think at that time that I would have any grandchildren!

All the news seems like an April Fool recently. I suppose if a story is in two papers it isn't a joke (though some stories are so badly researched it would be quite possible for a spoof to be copied as being true!).

Cake and beach sounds like heaven scully!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:50 pm

I was reading the April Fool article on the Suez in the Guardian; this was a bit of a giveaway too

“It’s an exciting idea,” said Mo Sez, a regional expert in water division management, whose staff are managing a feasibility study of the area.

Hub gave me a beautiful Aran sweater for Christmas and I haven't been anywhere to wear it. Packed for our caravan jaunt. I took some stuff up there yesterday and our neighbour and his wife and family were there. He is the kind of person who tells you the price of everything. They had a fire (not their fault!) at home; £40000, part ex for their old car; £10000, son's new house' half a million, value of their caravan....yawn. Really, I am not interested. I only passed the time of day with him for 5 minutes.... 4 minutes too long. His dog is a frenchie and a deva.

Now I am being nosey; Scully, how d you make your bread? Do you bake every day?

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:25 pm

no, my partner doesn't bake every day, only when there's enough full sun, as it's baked in a rand tube (type of solar cooker) in the garden.
it's a short, baguette type loaf - ordinary bread recipe, takes about half an hour.
if the forecast changes and there's no baking then it's only 11p of flour wasted (lidl flour) and we have pizza or calzone.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:59 pm

Sloe, neighbour sounds like one of Mr S's uncles. He was just the same and it drove the whole family (other than his wife) bonkers. I never met him but I feel as though I knew him.... :) .... btw, forgive me for asking, but has Mr Gin had a date for his CT scan yet?
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:03 pm

13 April. Hope that's not an omen

Postby Busybee » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:09 pm

We had our Easter celebration yesterday, afternoon tea in the garden with sister and parents. It was a lovely day, with a rubbish forecast for the weekend, so we decided as Easter is a moveable feast we would move it a little more.

I really enjoyed the afternoon, three kinds of sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam and I baked a coffee and walnut cake and a chocolate cake. Lots of tea, sunshine and chatter. Just what we all needed.

Today is best described as grey. And cold. OH was out golfing at 7am and said there was a frost, hard to believe it was 20 degrees 24 hours ago.

BB

Postby mistakened » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:34 pm

We are sitting in low cloud, unusual at this time of year but it has been an odd year weatherwise here.

Pasta with Pancetta & Peas for supper followed by Apricot Crumble, I froze the apricots last year. The apricot trees have started blooming, I hope that the bees can get out to fertilize the blossom for this years crop.

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:53 pm

It’s actually sunnier here today than it was yesterday, though not quite as warm

Have been doing odd jobs, cleaning bits of jewellery, deep cleaning the coffee maker, stripping the bed and doing laundry

Better get outside now

Everything :crossed for the 13th Sloe Gin

Postby Seatallan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:30 pm

Will keep all crossed 13 is your lucky number Sloe. :crossed :crossed :newhuggy
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:08 pm

Well, scully, what can I say?

There is an item in the i today about compulsory tests in the Cornish language being required for visitors this summer.

If successful, one can download an app which gives you 10% discount on pasties.

Bit harsh don't you think?

Postby Amyw » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:54 pm

Thoughts go out to you Sloe Gin

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox