Register

Test Kitchen

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Test Kitchen Trials or How to T & T Curious

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 pm

I keep frozen shredded coconut specifically for making thoran, a South Indian vegetable side dish
This recipe works quite well, but ignore the picture (veg shredded too fine) and the serving instructions (it's not served alone with rice, it's one of several dishes as part of a meal)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dry_ ... bage_71527

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:30 am

Somewhere KDKA did a coconut post with suggestions for dessicated coconut as composting material :lol:
I looked around for fresh coconut recipes...

ZC - give me a protein ( or an ingredient) and I´ll find you a coconut recipe! I use it very frequently because it grows on trees over here. 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Decimated coconut DOES belong on the compost heap :shock:

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:43 am

Thanks for that Stokey, and for the shred size pointer - looks very fine in the pic. I froze the coconut in big chunks reasoning that the flavour keeps better but perhaps it doesn't make a difference.

Didn't think of pureeing the coconut - sounds good.

Ok KDKA - something for tofu? Something for chicken? :D
Quite fancy a main course using coconut.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 am

That's a smart link, Zero. I have my eye on the first one, the mint coconut chutney.
Thoran recipe saved too, although the picture doesn't actually look cooked :lol:

I quite like having the desiccated coconut in. Although it turns rancid pretty quickly.
So I've just taken everyone's advice here and stashed it in the freezer.

Postby Amyw » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:24 pm

With refining recipes , I tend to make a judgement looking at the recipe , then make an adjustment if needed. I’m a real garlic fiend so tend to add an extra clove or two in and often add a bit more chilli as well to a dish .

Sometimes, probably fairly often actually I tend to use a recipe as a starting point or general inspiration often instigated by what I have in the cupboards/fridge. If I substitute more than two ingredients I always say it’s loosely based on

Re: Test Kitchen

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:45 am

I made the Mowgli runner beans and walnut recipe for family when I visited.

An absolute winner. Luckily I made heaps, as it was the star of the table.
It was in my sister's new cookbook, and chosen at random as Tony said he liked runner beans. The walnuts made it.

https://app.ckbk.com/recipe/mowg93266c0 ... nner-beans

And I've downloaded the cookbook onto m'kindle.

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:35 pm

Sounds good Gil, shame I'm the only one in my family that likes runner beans. Though I suppose green beans would work.

Has anyone used black treacle as a sub for maple syrup? There's recipe for chicken I want to try that uses about 60 ml max. I think it would lose something if I just omitted it and I'm not sure honey would work as well. I have a tin of treacle but don't particularly want to splash the cash on a bottle of maple syrup as it's not something we'd routinely use unless I have to. Web searches do suggest treacle would be okay but would prefer if there was any "t & t" experience on here.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:55 pm

LTC, what about honey and treacle? Half and half?

Funnily enough I recently got some maple syrup for, I think, a chicken recipe, but I now can't remember what the recipe was ....

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:19 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:LTC, what about honey and treacle? Half and half?

Funnily enough I recently got some maple syrup for, I think, a chicken recipe, but I now can't remember what the recipe was ....

That could be an idea thanks.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:26 pm

Treacle has quite a strong 'molasses' taste not really like maple syrup. I'd go for 1/3:2/3 ratio or gingerly taste as it was being made.

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:48 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Treacle has quite a strong 'molasses' taste not really like maple syrup. I'd go for 1/3:2/3 ratio or gingerly taste as it was being made.

Thanks EM, I may just give in a buy a jar of maple syrup, though I think molasses flavour might be okay. It's part of a marinade for chicken that also contains buttermilk and lime.

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:52 pm

personally, i would sub with golden syrup - with the tip of a teaspoon of the molasses if you feel the need.
the molasses has a much more bitter flavour than the round, caramel-y flavour of maple syrup.
i might even be tempted to make a syrup of demarara sugar if i were you (and if you have some).

aldi maple syrup is quite acceptable and not too expensive.

Postby liketocook » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pm

scullion wrote:personally, i would sub with golden syrup - with the tip of a teaspoon of the molasses if you feel the need.
the molasses has a much more bitter flavour than the round, caramel-y flavour of maple syrup.
i might even be tempted to make a syrup of demarara sugar if i were you (and if you have some).

aldi maple syrup is quite acceptable and not too expensive.

Thanks scully, might send DS2 on a trip to Aldi. I do have demerara sugar so making a syrup could be a good option.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:07 am

That Mowgli Runner bean recipe looks good, Gill - toasted walnuts are just so good in so many dishes and I like to use them a lot. I'm always impressed with recipes that are a winner straight off - not an easy feat and always to be put on the to be tried list. Some illustrious names on that site too btw.

What's the recipe LTC? - could depend on the other flavours. Maple syrup is quite a tricky sub - it's pretty runny too. Molasses and treacle are so very different from maple IMO. Slightly diluted honey or golden syrup would work, as would demarara syrup - would be my choice but no maple aroma. I also wouldn't spring for maple syrup if very rarely used - not a great keeper even in the fridge, sadly, though it could be frozen. A small bottle of maple flavouring might be an option or my choice, maple sugar, which can be pretty pricey, but keeps very well.

Speaking of walnuts, an update on the radicchio pasta recipe posted by Kacey which I also made last week and posted on the What's Cooking thread. Didn't quite hit the spot for me as said, so I did a redo for the love of radicchio.

I decided to lose the green part of the pesto, which although I do similar quite often w/o radicchio, felt it kind of interfered with the kick sharp bitterness of the radicchio and was a bit redundant with it. So I used the toasted walnuts, garlic, salt and oil on their own - extra garlic and a mixture of evoo and a bit of walnut oil pounded in with the toasted walnuts, and tossed the pasta in that. For the radicchio dressing pretty much the same but tweaked and more in overall quantity: half the honey, much more garlic, s&p, ditched the orange zest as it got lost first time around, and a very generous amount of homemade fermented sweet red pepper, red chili and garlic sauce concocted recently, with more black pepper and grated Asiago cheese on top. Pretty similar to the recipe, but really hit the spot for me.

Mr0 tried it but it wasn't for him - too out there bitter, and he had a beautiful all-on-board deli stuff sandwich on best bread instead :D

Last edited by ZeroCook on Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:29 am

Clever adjustments ZC. I like the sound of that.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:11 am

Your photo looks better than the original image!
Really lovely way to approach cooking, Zero. Shame the OH wasn't too enamoured.
C'est la vida!

Ltc, I'd use runny honey.
And leave the treacle for sticky puddins.

Postby liketocook » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:55 am

Thanks everyone, I think I'll try the sugar syrup and if we otherwise like the recipe I'll buy some maple syrup. DS2 has advised he can probably find a home on his morning porridge for any surplus ;)
Great sounding and looking tweaks ZC now if only I could lay my hands of some raddichio or even chicory I'd happily give a go. Shame OH wasn't so impressed.

Postby Kacey » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:10 pm

If you're still interested in a lime & coconut dal recipe, I've managed to find a really good one. Let me know if you want it

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Yes please, Kacey. That would be great. :D (I froze the rest of the coconut and never used it again! :lol: ) Got loads of limes, too.

Postby Kacey » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:14 am

Will post it tonight once I get home.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox