Register

pancakes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: pancakes

Postby aero280 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:43 pm

I can't really help with the use of exotic fruits, etc. As children, we were spoilt. I was brought up in a port city, and, in addition, my grandfather was a shipping agent. He had to deal with ships coming in from all over the world, and the captain would frequently give him a present of something from overseas that you couldn't get in the UK at the time.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:03 pm

As a kid, our pancakes were always with lemon and sugar; often a Jiffy lemon. Nothing else!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:51 pm

I’ve always thought lemon and sugar was the dullest way of eating pancakes, thinking about it I don’t really like eating anything with gritty sugar

But I think plastic squeezy lemons were a very late arrival on the scene, there are lots of traditional winter recipes that use lemons and oranges as they are easily imported by sea, Mrs Beeton uses them, there’s a reference to sending for lemons and sugar to make punch in Dickens Christmas Carol, and I think they get into Pickwick Papers too so there must have plenty about.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:05 pm

I still enjoy pancakes best with lemon & sugar. It's the combination of the gritty sugar and the tang of the lemon juice that does it for me. Mr S, on the other hand, thinks the only way to eat pancakes is with maple syrup and melted butter.

Crepes are a different beast altogether. I love 'festival' style crepes with Nutella and sliced toasted banana. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:06 pm

We used to have them with lemon made from either citric or tartaric acid with sugar and water - probably citric, in which case I'm not sure what my mother used tartaric for.

I think my first experience of lemon was probably in G & Ts in the pub ("the 99", as there were 98 rooms at the RCM) when I was at music college! Terribly sophisticated and exotic!

When we used to do brunch when the children were small we used to have pancakes with bacon and maple syrup and veggie son just had the syrup.

Postby aero280 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:10 pm

The Kaiserschmarrn seems to be a success! :)

OH liked it enough to take a picture...

IMG_4578.JPG
IMG_4578.JPG (179.57 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

Used this recipe I found online...

https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/ka ... marrn.html

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:09 pm

The wife made some pancakes yesterday, so I had some this morning, with cream and strawberry jam!!
Oddly enough, we were talking pancakes this weekend with my son, who took his family to IHOP for breakfast. (International House of Pancakes). He and his wife were horrified at the amount of food people were cramming down. Here´s a menu, just in case you were thinking of having a "robust" breakfast :? 8-)
https://metrodiningdelivery.com/menus/ihop_menu_lincoln_nebraska.html

Postby Amyw » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:17 pm

God 940 calories !!

When I’ve been to the States , I have tried their pancakes but they were monsters and it was just a ridiculous waste of food . I’m not actually a fan of the thick American style ones , I prefer the thin crepe ones

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:01 pm

I’ve had my pancake at @thatcrepeplace

A big made to order crepe filled with home cooked spinach, mushrooms and sliced Brie Lunch!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:03 pm

That was my reaction too, Amy - 940 calories - although I´m not a calorie counter. I checked out the "normal" intake for a person and it was 2,000 cal for women and 2,500 for men.
Then my curiosity got the better of me, because DIL said they shared a dish and that there were folks all over the restaurant with a full cooked breakfast and pancakes on the side :shock: :shock: 1,950 cal for breakfast!!

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:04 pm

Same here, Amy. I always had indigestion for the day if I chose pancakes. I've been to IHOP, some of their other menu choices are better IMO (quite apart from those calories -but how often do you see plates scraped clean in such places? Wasteful.).

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:17 pm

I’m surprised IHOP is still going, went to one in California 40 years ago and it seemed tired and dated then

Some hotels have a machine that makes you an American style pancake if you press a button, part of the breakfast buffet. I quite like that, you can have just one or two, and obviously they are fresh and hot

After a previous pancake discussion I said I’d go to My Old Dutch, which has been in Holborn for decades, we used to go there when drinking in the Princess Louise, you got a big heavy delftware plate covered by a fairly thick pancake topped almost like a pizza. Of course I didn’t go before lockdown but they seem to be hanging on

https://www.myolddutch.com/menus/

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:29 pm

We used to go to My Old Dutch when we were both working in Holborn......and the Princess Louise (we went there much more often :oops: ).

We've been back since then (MOD), when we visit London for the day. We also like the Coptic street Pizza Express, mainly for the nostalgia (we used to go there when we were dating).

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm

My ex and I used the Coptic Street Pizza Express as well as MOD, it was one of the few places you could arrive at post-theatre back then, and it was fun. He worked in Africa House on Holborn so we knew the area well

Meant to say, fabulous ramen house on Coptic Street now, very handy for British Museum

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:37 pm

I know Africa House very well. I did many jobs there.

Postby halfateabag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 am

When I read MOD I immediately thought..... Ministry of Defence !!!!! Didn't know they sold pancakes...sorry

Postby scullion » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:29 pm

the first dosa, last night didn't stay together so i followed mama's tip and beat an egg into the mix - it worked really well (although they were slightly thicker than the gossamer thin ones that i would like them to have been). i also didn't take another look for the hidden gadget so they were done in a pan.
we didn't have sweet ones but followed up with fresh pineapple and clotted cream.

i used to love 'my old dutch' on high Holborn. i coveted one of the large, used dishes but i could never justify spending some of my grant on one.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:As a kid, our pancakes were always with lemon and sugar; often a Jiffy lemon. Nothing else!

Same here :thumbsup ... I made pancakes this evening for myself and daughter. We both delighted in the memory of going to my Mum's (her Nan) for pancakes. :yum .They had to be made with lemon and sugar, although my mum also sprinkled currents on the raw side of the pancake before turning it over .. She also put currents in her yorkies too. ;)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox