Register

Power air fryer

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Power air fryer

Postby Wokman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:06 am

I recently bought an all singing and dancing air fryer with rotisserie spit and rotisserie skewers. Absolutely perfect spit roast chicken and kebabs. Home made chips in the rotating basket taste perfect.
Does anyone else have one and what do you cook in it or any other air fryer?

Re: Power air fryer

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:15 pm

there's a thread that you may find interesting where air fryers were chatted about a little while ago.
http://sakkarin.co.uk/foodforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4615&p=91998&hilit=air+fryer#p91998
(there's another which included them, about instant pots, too, if you wanted to search for that one).

Postby Wokman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:27 pm

scullion wrote:there's a thread that you may find interesting where air fryers were chatted about a little while ago.
http://sakkarin.co.uk/foodforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4615&p=91998&hilit=air+fryer#p91998
(there's another which included them, about instant pots, too, if you wanted to search for that one).

Thanks Scullion, I haven't searched that far back on the boards yet. Just had a quick look so that's something I will be reading from start to finish.

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:19 pm

Which one have you got Wokman? From your description, it sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:17 am

I'm wondering that too, Pampy.
I pretty much use mine when we require fries. The results are excellent, and the gadget is worth buying just for the tidiness alone.
Skewers, I've got the basket, but I have to turn mine manually, not rotisserie here.

I tried croquetas, but they were too soft to keep their form when turned.

Fish cakes should be good, I'll try them next up.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:06 pm

I hadn't realised they did rotisserie air fryers and have just been looking at them online. They look rather good. I used to have a cooker with a rotisserie and miss it sometimes. Reviews seem mixed and they do look quite large (to fit in a small kitchen!).

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:44 pm

Penny has just dropped - the actual brand is “Power” :lol: not just a generic type of gizmo

Like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Air-Frye ... B07F3XX4G3

Again, space, but I quite fancy the dehydrator function

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:49 pm

The same model on the Argos page has a little video with pictures of things cooking to give you an idea of its capabilities and how the food is arranged.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8436724

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 pm

Wow I'm frazzled after watching the video.

Certainly the power fryer is far better than I have.
I'd use it a lot more if mine had shelves and a rotisserie.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:46 pm

I was looking at the Tower air fryer as it popped up in an email offer, which is a lot cheaper and I thought I might do better with shelves, not having to flip things in baskets - I hadn't noticed the rotisserie function, which I wasn't specially interested in, but perhaps I'd use it

That video set my teeth on edge, talking about food guilt :evil: and meaningless abuse of percentages :evil:

This is a review of the Tower I was looking at previously
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/towe ... -air-fryer

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Sorry, I meant to say that the video was pretty awful but that it and the illustrations gave an idea of what it was like. I have a suspicion it might not be most efficient crammed as full as they show!

I do like the look of it but it's a lot dearer than some we've discussed here. Looking forward to hearing what Wokman tries on his!

Postby Pampy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:11 pm

Oh dear - I have a hankering for one of those! However, I could replace both my dehydrator and Actifry (and possibly the pizza oven?) so it could actually be space saving. Years ago, I had a gas cooker with a rotisserie and I loved it. Am I talking myself into getting one? Answers on a postcard please... :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:24 pm

It's a chunk of money tho, when you don't really know if you'll use it all the time.
Pampy, you already have the kit, you definitely don't require one ;)

If I didn't have a combi microwave, I'd see a great need for one in my kitchen.
But those extras I can do in the microwave well.

The problem is still the size, you cannot really fit so much inside it as it would appear.
OK for one of course.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:38 pm

The all singing all dancing thing does lead to duplication doesn't it?
If everything has 5 modes, 3 of them are usually the same as something else

What was tempting me towards the Tower was that my combination microwave and oven is probably not much longer for this world, and I could possibly replace it with an air fryer/ oven and a simple microwave. I'm not so concerned about the rotisserie, but then again - kebabs sound good

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:55 pm

I was thinking the very same thing, Sue.
Would I get the combi again, when this one bites the dust.
I'd probably look at an alternative.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm

I've got a combi Panasonic but tbh I think I've only ever used the oven once. I had thought it would be useful to have an extra shelf at Christmas, when there is never enough oven space, but it didn't make that much difference. I think I did the pigs in blankets and the chipolatas in it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:03 pm

When I get a new microwave I want a flat bed/inverter model without a turntable, as the turntable on mine gives me grief - it hops off its spindle if you even think in that direction, and it's a swine to replace

I don't know why they are only just coming into the domestic market, few catering models have had turntables in years, we had a couple of flatbeds at work :thumbsup

Postby Wokman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:37 pm

Wow, I forgot about how fast replies come. The one I have is the same as Sue put in her link. It's great for making your own dried fruit too with the dehydration setting. If you use all 3 shelves at the same time you will need to alternate the position during cooking.
It goes from zero to 200c in about 3 minutes, so no need to preheat and it cooks quicker than a combi oven. I only use the microwave on my combi oven since buying this air fryer.

Postby Pampy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:38 am

Stokey Sue wrote:When I get a new microwave I want a flat bed/inverter model without a turntable, as the turntable on mine gives me grief - it hops off its spindle if you even think in that direction, and it's a swine to replace

I don't know why they are only just coming into the domestic market, few catering models have had turntables in years, we had a couple of flatbeds at work :thumbsup

My smaller Neff oven with microwave (and many other settings) is a flatbed model. I've had it about 8 years.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 am

Pampy wrote:My smaller Neff oven with microwave (and many other settings) is a flatbed model. I've had it about 8 years.

Yes, but I think that’s a built in? I’m talking about stand-alone

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox