Register

Lemon Grass

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Lemon Grass

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:48 pm

This evening I intend to make a Thai chicken curry. The recipe calls for a stick of lemon grass - which I have been unable to obtain. What I bought as a substitute is a jar of Schwartz dried lemon grass - small dried curls - not sticks or powder. I can find no guidance as to how much would equate to a stick of fresh - I am aware that dried herbs are more potent than fresh. Any ideas please?

Re: Lemon Grass

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:03 pm

Generally speaking, I´d say you´re right to assume dried herbs are stronger than fresh. However, in the case of lemongrass, I´ve always been a bit underwhelmed by the dried stuff. I´d put about 1/2 tsp in your chicken curry.

Postby scullion » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:04 pm

i use about a teaspoon of dried to one stalk of fresh. add it sooner than you would the fresh as it needs rehydration/infusing time.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:08 pm

Thanks Kkd - Iwas a bit disappointed not to be able to get the fresh stuff, but Hobson's choice. It'll be a component of the paste, which involves loads of things, so definitely better to contribute than dominate.

Thanks also Scully - we crossed.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:36 pm

Dried lemongrass is like sawdust - 'orrible tasteless stuff !
Better to use fresh lemon zest instead - adding more as you go along to taste - it's a very good sub.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:41 pm

The trouble with dried (or otherwise processed) lemon grass is that the flavour is largely citronella, which is very volatile, which is why it works in scented candles

Arguable those little jars of chopped or paste lemon grass in brine should be better, but some are actually made from dried lemon grass, so the advantage is not much, and some of them smell quite odd (even pre Covid!)

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:51 pm

Yep, I´d agree with Lush here. It´s not exactly the same flavour, but it´s close enough. Lemon or lime zest will give you that citrusy zing.

Postby scullion » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:04 pm

i have a pot of it growing on the windowsill - the cats like chewing it - i don't use it...

(i grow it for them so it would be bad manners to nick it - even if i wanted to use it after they've had a chew).

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:53 pm

Half an hour to go! I've not been this nervous since my daughter was born.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:30 pm

Agree. Lemon zest is a good sub. If you have a potted lemon tree a couple of fresh leaves as well as the zest.
How did it turn out?

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 pm

Well there was a background flavour I wasn't at all keen on - I'm putting it down to the dried lemon grass. I certainly felt it lacked a citrus kick. We live and learn - thanks to everyone for their advice and guidance. Hmph! :)

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:40 am

I've been thinking hard about why it turned out so bland, with the "supporting" flavours dominating. The recipe definitely calls for 3 tspns of chilli paste. I don't think a recipe would say that - I think it would say 1 tbspn. I'm wondering if it should have read 3 tbspns?
The recipe was from le Creuset as part of an advert for their cast iron casseroles.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:27 pm

I suppose it depends how strong the paste is. 3 tblesp sounds a lot to me but I've rarely used it.

What other ingredients were there? My extremely inauthentic leanings towards Thai usually include lots of garlic, ginger and chilli flakes to my taste. I tend to leave out anything but fresh lemon grass for the reasons others have stated but like fresh lemon. I find that combination of ingredients along with coconut milk quite fragrant and delicious but maybe you'd hoped for something more robust.

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:35 pm

there's always the squeezy tube of lemongrass paste when small amounts are needed - to keep in the fridge. still not as good as fresh but better than dried.

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I suppose it depends how strong the paste is. 3 tblesp sounds a lot to me but I've rarely used it.

What other ingredients were there? My extremely inauthentic leanings towards Thai usually include lots of garlic, ginger and chilli flakes to my taste. I tend to leave out anything but fresh lemon grass for the reasons others have stated but like fresh lemon. I find that combination of ingredients along with coconut milk quite fragrant and delicious but maybe you'd hoped for something more robust.

The paste comprised coriander and cumin seeds - toasted, lemon grass,roasted red peppers,chilli paste, fresh ginger, garlic,turmeric,lime juice and zest and spring onions - all whizzed in the food processor. Additionally, there was red onion,a red pepper, coconut milk, maple syrup and kaffir lime leaves.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:53 pm

I tend to use Mae Ploy ready made Thai curry paste, which is by no means all chilli, it has shallots, lemon grass etc in it and the instructions say 50g curry paste to one 3-4 portion batch of curry. 50g is about 3 tablespoons

But I’m a bit puzzled by “chilli paste” which isn’t a routine ingredient, certainly not in Thai food do you have more information?

I found a Le Creuset recipe but it doesn’t mention lemon grass or chilli paste, so probably not the right one, this one
https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en_GB/thai- ... 00294.html

That recipe is about as authentic as old recipes for Indian curry that use cooking apples and sultanas, in particular it contains no trace of fish sauce, dried shrimp or shrimp paste, and I think it would be very flat without them, are they missing from your recipe too?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:55 pm

Gosh Gruney, it sounds as though it should have really hit the spot (I am not commenting on the Thai authenticity, just the flavours). How disappointing. As you say, maybe the quantity balance of some ingredients were out.

Scully how long does it (the lemon grass) keep? I find that most things like that in tubes or jars are supposed to be used quite quickly.

Sue, there is fish sauce in the recipe you posted.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:03 pm

We cross posted Gruney

Looking at that recipe I think the lack of fish sauce is certainly an issue and I’m still worried about the chilli paste

I don’t think either roasted red peppers or maple syrup should be there, though the maple syrup is reasonable sub for palm sugar

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:16 pm

Thanks all for trying to help me.

Sue - this is the recipe https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en_GB/thai- ... 6Z,4JB1Q,1

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:41 pm

That’s as inauthentic as the one I linked to, nothing fishy and the red peppers are just silly imo

Here’s an authentic paste recipe (though I think most people use less white pepper), you don’t have to wade through all the verbiage, there’s a recipe card if you scroll down. You can see why I buy paste ready made, cheaper and easier than assembling the ingredients- I’d add a splash of fish sauce to the sauce as well

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-red ... te-recipe/

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox