Register

Fishy February

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Fishy February

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:40 pm

karadekoolaid, re the Panada Ikan Pedas, what are the proportions for the tuna extras please?

I assume one can sub palm sugar with something? I assume white onion or shallot rather than red, or you'd have said red. Green chilli? (I have tamarind paste.)
Ta.

Yesterday was lots of small (cooked) prawns. As it's still freezing here, they went into a tasty broth with green leaves, and a fair few egg noodles to slurp - the sort of thing you could sit slurping indefinitely, so I did ;)

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Jeral: here´s the recipe I usedhttps://ridhaskitchen.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/panada-ikan-pedas/
no lemongrass? No kaffir lime leaves? No matter: grate some lemon zest into the mixture.
Forget palm sugar - use dark brown sugar, or even granulated sugar. I actually put more in the mix than the recipe once I´d tasted the mixture.
Red onion is gentler than white, shallot is best, but I used white onion.
the chiles are essential. It has to have a bite to it, and the sugar/coconut milk will dumb it down a bit.
I made 20 of the panadas and froze the ones I didn´t eat. Worked just fine. this is a recipe for keeps.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:30 pm

I've just been pointed in the direction of this website

https://peskyfish.co.uk/pages/pesky-hom ... arketplace

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Thanks karadekoolaid and delighted to see the receipt link (I could find only foreign language ones). I'm still sold plus I do like tinned tuna fried until dry-ish, although others think that's crackers.

The last time I fried bread dough was decades ago from a packet bread mix that could also be made into doughnuts. They worked well, so I'm optimistic :)

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:11 pm

Interesting link Sloe-Gin

I'm a bit worried about the packaging they use.

'Their ClimaCell boxes are manufactured from renewable pant-based components'

Do you think the boxes have got drawers in them?

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:17 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:I've just been pointed in the direction of this website

The guy from Pesky Fish was interviewed by Sky's Ian King (business programme) yesterday or Thursday. Strangely, he referred to collection direct from boats landing but not that they deliver. £5 for DPD to deliver really is a bargain I reckon so the true cost must be on the fish price. But heck, how often do we townies get fresh "fresh" fish?

He was asked about getting unusual fish like megrim onto "a shelf near you" and said that the supply chains etc of supermarkets meant it was like turning a tanker round, meaning the mammoth logistical changes needed rather than unwillingness, so in time maybe.

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Let's hope they're sent in a discreet plain brown covering Badger's Mate ;)

I have looked at reviews of other companies and found it hard to find any reviews about the fish, tsk, as everyone's posting to moan about the non-recyclable polystyrene packaging, so Pesky is pants but not pants eh?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:41 pm

It looks as though it'd be worth creating freezer space than buying £35+ worth to save on delivery costs. I doubt that £35 worth of fish would be a silly amount, even for one person. Sad that people are complaining about packaging when the people are clearly trying to do their best and the whingeing people probably sit at home and have Amazon deliveries every day.

It looks worth a try. Is anyone going to?

Postby Busybee » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:46 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:It looks as though it'd be worth creating freezer space than buying £35+ worth to save on delivery costs. I doubt that £35 worth of fish would be a silly amount, even for one person. Sad that people are complaining about packaging when the people are clearly trying to do their best and the whingeing people probably sit at home and have Amazon deliveries every day.

It looks worth a try. Is anyone going to?

I think you can quite easily spend £35 on fish EM. My parents have a delivery from Hodgson’s of Hartlepool about every six weeks or so and spend between £50 and £80. They would usually be supplying the restaurants and shops etc and have diversified into home deliveries. They even time their delivery around my Mums dialysis treatment, excellent fish and customer service. Their vans are refrigerated but the fish is in a cool box with an ice brick, you give the cool box back with your next delivery. It’s worked exceedingly well.

BB

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:47 pm

I intend to give it a try. Silly jokes aside, it will be interesting to see what the boxes look like. I don't like receiving loads of polystyrene. A few boxes are useful for storing dahlias over winter or protecting table surfaces from warm propagator bases but after that any more are just rubbish.

Postby Pampy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:50 pm

I'm definitely going to have a look when the shop is open - even though there is a fishmonger on the market who gets his supplies from boats that land at Fleetwood, which is only about 30 miles away. His fish is quite expensive so even if I ordered below the free delivery threshold, it probably wouldn't be much more expensive.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:08 pm

I agree, if you buy good quality it's easy to spend lots.

I generally go here and it's superb.
"Finest of Fish - Home | Facebook" https://m.facebook.com/FinestofFish/

Yesterday I bought a bag of frozen mixed shellfish, smoked haddock and a beautiful piece of cod, all for £19.

The shellfish is clams, mussels, crevettes, razor clams and a bit of squid.
For tonight's seafood stew.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:I've just been pointed in the direction of this website

Has someone else been reading the article in today's Daily Mail by Rose Prince ? All about eating British... Spider Crab, Megrim, cuttlefish, langoustine and Brill were all mentioned, along with Peskyfish.co.uk

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:11 pm

721B1D88-F617-4DA2-AA03-A8605AA5A103.jpeg
721B1D88-F617-4DA2-AA03-A8605AA5A103.jpeg (95.28 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

We finally got around to making the Catalonian fish stew I mentioned up thread. It looked pretty horrific actually...not dissimilar to chip shop curry sauce or tinned marrow fat peas :lol: The picture in the book definitely wasn’t greenish like ours but we followed the suggested quantity of parsley in the picada used to thicken it so I’ve got no idea why hers wasn’t as green as ours :?

We used hake, prawns and squid. The fishmonger had sold out of mussels unfortunately. I did request (and pay for) crab claws too but they were missing from the bag. So it could have been a disaster meal but luckily it tasted fabulous anyway :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:58 pm

It looks delicious OMCO!
I signed up for Peskyfish emails and had the first one tonight as others may have. Not much of a catch but it is Sunday.

Pat - did the article say good things?

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:11 am

I signed up and got the email too. It said that none of their boats had been able to go out because of the bad weather, hence very little available.
The online shop is open overnight Sunday to Thursday, which implies that the boats go out on Sunday to Thursday.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am

Earthmaiden wrote:It looks delicious OMCO!
I signed up for Peskyfish emails and had the first one tonight as others may have. Not much of a catch but it is Sunday.

Pat - did the article say good things?

It was a 2 page spread about eating British... featuring the fishy stuff as well as Hill Lamb, Roe Deer a couple of recipes (from Marco Pierre white?) for Risotto Nero, featuring cuttlefish and slow-cooked shoulder of Hill Lamb... For each food, email details of relevant suppliers was included.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:00 am

A sort of promotion then! The good sort though.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:23 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:A sort of promotion then! The good sort though.

yes ... :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 am

I signed up for Pesky..... received this yesterday https://peskyfish.co.uk/products/halibu ... 0604309669 Don't think the link will work but basically... Hake, upper fillet (feeds 4) £43.49, lower fillet (feeds 3) £35.49 !!!!!! Is it me or is that not very very expensive ????? Yes that would be a delivered price but even so......

I notice that it has now sold out, so some think the price is OK or just can't get out to shop ?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox