Register

New induction hob

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

New induction hob

Postby Binky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:17 pm

I asked last year about induction hobs and got some good advice. We took the plunge before Xmas and bought this beauty by Siemens. It's the only pale coloured induction hob I could find (didn't want a black one). Pic not particularly clear, but it's a pale-ish grey.

It's taken a while to get up and running due to new electrics, new splashback, replastering, regrouting and siliconing around the kitchen. Well worth it in the end. OH, who does all our meals, is hugely impressed by the controllability and accuracy of the hob. All I've cooked is a boiled egg.....

Re: New induction hob

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:54 pm

That looks stunning Binky :) Even better that it works as well as you'd hoped. The hood lights are set well too. I got one with two lights a long while back and a neighbour said it looked like Star Trek.

How easy is a stainless steel splashback to keep clean and pristine? A recent neighbour had one installed following a revamp but she moved so I can't check up on it! :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:21 pm

Looks great Binky :thumbsup

I do like induction hobs, and wil get one as and when but I need one with physical knobs which cuts down the choice enormously - basically Smeg or one or two made for commercial kitchens last time I checked

I will also go for smooth splash back panels rather than tiles next time, as grout is a but icky after a while, but probably nice coloured tempered glass rather than steel for me, I'd guess any smooth surface is easier to keep clean that grout

Postby Binky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:54 pm

Stainless steel is doddle to keep clean. Wipe down with a warm wet dishcloth, and then occasionally wipe with baby oil. Our last one was pristine for almost 15 years - it was destroyed by the electrician doing wiring behind, and that's the only reason we bought a new one.

We can't have a funky coloured glass splashback as our plaster is so bad - uneven and badly discoloured. Stainless steel gets over all those problems and is indestructible to boot.

Do you want to see my boiled egg? It doesn't look much but it was an effort for me.

Meanwhile OH is cooking fish, fried tofu, sauces, gravy, fried fish, boiled veg, rice, scrambled egg, soups, mashed spuds, and he's doing a paella later in the week.

Postby Binky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:00 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Looks great Binky :thumbsup

I do like induction hobs, and wil get one as and when but I need one with physical knobs which cuts down the choice enormously - basically Smeg or one or two made for commercial kitchens last time I checked

I will also go for smooth splash back panels rather than tiles next time, as grout is a but icky after a while, but probably nice coloured tempered glass rather than steel for me, I'd guess any smooth surface is easier to keep clean that grout

Sue, why do you need knobs? This one we have has temperature settings that are accurate. OH has always cooked using a thermometer for instance, and he knows what a good frying temperature is, so he sets it and then does something else, safe in the knowledge that the food won't overcook. You can set a low simmer and it won't over boil either. Honestly, I can't see why knobs are essential when a slider control does exactly the same thing.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:18 pm

Looks fab Binky! I love ours. It positively changed my life. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:13 pm

I think it may be a sight thing - not being able to see the little, digital numbers easily.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 pm

Binky wrote:

Sue, why do you need knobs? This one we have has temperature settings that are accurate. OH has always cooked using a thermometer for instance, and he knows what a good frying temperature is, so he sets it and then does something else, safe in the knowledge that the food won't overcook. You can set a low simmer and it won't over boil either. Honestly, I can't see why knobs are essential when a slider control does exactly the same thing.

Because the one thing you can't do with "touch controls" (sic) embedded under the glass is use them by touch - you have to be able to see the display easily, whereas with a knob I can give it a quarter turn and know what I've done - I've seen quite a few, I've not seen one that's accessible for people with low vision

Binky wrote:Do you want to see my boiled egg? It doesn't look much but it was an effort for me.

Nice boiled egg Binky, love the Portmeirion

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:07 pm

It looks lovely Binky (as does the egg!). I'm not a convert from gas yet - but could be eventually!

Postby Rainbow » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:37 am

Does look great Binky and I love my induction hob - so easy to control, as others have said.

We have a glass splashback which I really like, too. I'd never want tiles again!! Haven't had a SS one so don't know how they compare, but yours looks good, Binky :D

Postby Amber » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:51 am

I fancy an induction hob when we replace our current kitchen (long overdue), but do they get hot enough to properly stir fry in a wok? I love the grey colour though, that’s a new one for me :D .

Postby Pampy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:17 am

I've got a Neff induction hob that has a "power" setting that's great for wok cooking. I think it's 4kw (but I could be completely wrong!).
I have a black glass splashback with a picture of a cut lime on it. Yours looks lovely Binky. And nice to hear from you - hope things are going ok for you.

Postby Binky » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:51 am

We checked all our pans and the wok wasn't induction compatible, so we don't know how a wok stir-fry would work. Maybe there is a power button as Pampy says, but we haven't located it as not required so far.

Frying in a normal shallow frying pan is absolutely fine (not that we do a lot), so I think our stirfries will be confined to that sort of pan. I will report back as to the success when we do our next stir-fry.

Postby scullion » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:36 pm

as the new countertops are black granite i went for a black hob.
all the comparison reviews i read came out for one of the ikea ones. it has linkable hobs for big pans (i need to get a new jam pan) and boost function.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:44 pm

I can get the heat to stir fry on mine, but I really struggle with caramelizing sugar, usually resort to the picnic stove for that.

Postby Pampy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:08 pm

Mine's black too, to match the granite work tops. It has linkable sections as well. I find the power boost function really useful when bringing a pan back up to the boil when something has been added - like pasta, or when blanching veg.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:47 am

Binky, thanks for the egg = perfectly cooked for me.

I love the colour of the new hob - who knew you could get it in grey. Well you did.
I cannot work out the ring set up. Are there 5?

Regarding the knobs, it's easy to flick it on and off, yes. I've inherited a 3yrs Lamona.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend it, despite the knobs, as the surface is annoying to maintain. The slightest bit of water seems to set - and i'm for ever brightening it up during the day with a product and a rub.
It's glossy when done for a time, but just irks me how it picks up marks for seemingly no reason during the day.
I'm assuming other brands are more robust.

But I am now going to get a splash back. Those white tiles aren't going to look too good in the next 3 years to come.

I also find the temperature control accurate, for no reason but if I put pasta on, or veggies to steam - they never boil over.
Unlike with gas.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:50 am

Gillthepainter wrote:
I love the colour of the new hob - who knew you could get it in grey. Well you did.
I cannot work out the ring set up. Are there 5?

My next hob will be induction and like others looked them up and found a couple of white ones , much to my surprise. I will probably go for black as I also intend to have granite (or a cheaper lookey-likey) on that side of the kitchen .. :thumbsup

Postby Seatallan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:52 am

Binky wrote:We checked all our pans and the wok wasn't induction compatible, so we don't know how a wok stir-fry would work.

Are you sure Binky? I have a traditional wok (a Ken Hom in fact! :) ) and it works fine on our induction hob.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Binky » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:14 pm

Gill, it's actually described as silver but imo is more grey. This link shows you all the features, and it DOES have a power button. That will be the next feature for OH to try.

tinyurl.com/yaum2s6z

seatallan, not entirely sure about the wok. OH tested all our pans and he may have assumed it wouldn't work rather than doing the recommended test.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox