Register

Haggis

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Haggis

Postby cherrytree » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:10 am

:woohoo: My butcher has delivered me some haggis slices. I told him that I’d never eaten haggis and in belated tribute to Burns I would like to try some. I didn’t expect slices but I’m quite grateful in a way that it isn’t a huge amount. However, I haven’t a clue how to cook haggis slices. P,ease has anyone got some good ideas?

Re: Haggis

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:29 am

I have never cooked haggis slices but I would probably treat them the same as Lorne sausage slices.

Fry in butter and serve
- with eggs & mushrooms as a brunch
- with mash and veg (and a dram) as dinner.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:44 am

WW’s right about cooking sliced haggis.

Normally butchers/supermarkets sell both sliced and ball haggis and they’re cooked in different ways. The sliced haggis comes from a large sausage type shape rather than the traditional ball. It’s usually denser than the ball variety so it doesn’t break up in the pan and it can also be grilled but a careful eye has to be kept if grilling. Personally I prefer the frying variety and when I visited my mum I used to bring a whole one back, together with a white and black pudding. The attached link shows the different cooking methods.

https://grantsofspeyside.co.uk/how-to-c ... fry_haggis

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:21 am

Flambe in whisky?

Haggis also microwaves well, but I don't really know about discs, never heard of them.
Tatties and neeps, that's how I'd do them always. You don't require gravy, but the whisky way is lovely.

There are other tweaks, haggis samosas. I cannot remember another way I cooked with it. But it's not better that h t & n.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:32 am

Sue Lawrence does a mean Haggis lasagne!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour ... e230.shtml

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:46 am

I’ve just heard from Sainsbugs that they don’t have the McSweens haggis I’d ordered, and they’re sending me a Howie’s Chieftain haggis (near enough 1kg) for £1.05. Never had a Howie’s ..., has anyone here tried one?

Postby Seatallan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:25 am

Re the slices, just treat like black pud cherytree. I fry them up as part of a weekend brunch quite regularly cherrytree (and jolly good they are too!)

Can't help re the Howie's haggis Suffs- sorry. We have a McSweeneys (which we're having later- hurrah!! :yum ) Hope yours proves to be as yummy...
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:40 am

our veg haggis was a howie's - very good, quite 'grainy'.

Postby liketocook » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:30 pm

The slices being quite dense also work well as stuffing for chicken or pork or rolled into meatballs.
Howies Haggis is IMHO good, as highlighted quite grainy rather than close textured but tasty.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:03 pm

liketocook wrote:The slices being quite dense also work well as stuffing for chicken or pork or rolled into meatballs.
Howies Haggis is IMHO good, as highlighted quite grainy rather than close textured but tasty.

Oooh that sounds just to our liking :thumbsup thank you LTC, Seatallen and Scully

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:22 pm

I picked up a massive Howie's haggis in Sains yesterday, serves 4-6 people and was reduced to £1.75 even though it's dated 20 Feb :thumbsup

I plan a traditional dinner with half of it and I will probably have a bash at this with the other half.

"Meera Sodha's recipe for vegan haggis kheema and tattie rotis | Vegan food and drink | The Guardian" https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... ttie-rotis

Postby Suffs » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:32 pm

Oooh, looks like we're going to have to make piggies of ourselves :limbobanana :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:00 pm

Suffs wrote:I’ve just heard from Sainsbugs that they don’t have the McSweens haggis I’d ordered, and they’re sending me a Howie’s Chieftain haggis (near enough 1kg) for £1.05. Never had a Howie’s ..., has anyone here tried one?

Howie’s is Morrison’s default brand, I like it, might be a tad more peppery than McSween

Not keen on their black pudding

I’d probably microwave slices

For the record, my take on whisky sauce is a not too oniony onion gravy with a shot of whisky in it, don’t really like cream based whisky sauces

Postby cherrytree » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Well thank you for your most helpful replies. I shall fry the slices. If we enjoy our butchers recipe we will have it again. As we are only about 15 miles from the border I imagine that it’s pretty authentic. However I will have to try one of the two brands mentioned on here. I won’t deviate though from Harrison’s black pudding. It’s very good indeed.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:16 pm

Meera Sodha's recipe for vegan haggis kheema and tattie rotis | Vegan food and drink | The Guardian" https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... ttie-rotis

Just had this for dinner tonight.
It was delicious and very substantial.

The rotis will be repeated, possibly with a poached egg for breakfast some day.

The kheema recipe would work well with beef or lamb mince, not just haggis, or even spiced lentils of some sort.
Probably lighter too.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox