Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:34 pm

I'm always on the lookout for quickish meals for one, and won't involve filling up the freezer with spare portions. Yesterday, this popped into my Inbox - from Nigella Lawson. Tomorrow's tea.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lime-an ... n_20210408

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:26 pm

Tonight is Meera Sodha's piccalilli spiced rice, served with sausages.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:15 pm

Last night we had a rolled stuffed joint of pork with new potatoes, spring veg and a lovely herby butter.

Leftover pork was diced tonight and put in egg fried rice with kale, mushrooms and other odds and ends from the veg drawer.

We are picking almond croissants up from the bakery for breakfast tomorrow and I added a wild garlic and rosemary focaccia to the order at the last minute. I may jump on the lasagne bandwagon and have that with it tomorrow night, as well as a green salad.

I have plans to make osso bucco milanese for the first time in the next week but I need to check if I can order the cut of veal from the butchers. I’m looking forward to giving it a go anyway.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 pm

J is cooking tonight.

A half shoulder of lamb, placed in a marinade before 9am today and in the oven since 1pm. Coming out for a rest shortly.
Served with baby potatoes, leeks and cauliflower.

And a few glasses of Douro.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 pm

Love the sound of osso buco and slow roast lamb!

We had Joe Trivelli's smashed broad beans and artichokes again. We only had a can of artichokes and the frozen ones we had last time were definitely better.
We'll try it with chargrilled from a jar next time.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ubarb-soup

ETA to say the lemon tart we had to follow was one of the best I've ever made. I think I've finally got it right, and it is a very no-fuss recipe too.

We're now fantasizing about summer lunch outside under the cherry tree with a few friends ....

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:26 am

Could you share the lemon tart recipe please KC? Sounds lovely :yum

13D0B3D0-19C7-4A0A-8BCB-E813C541F655.jpeg
13D0B3D0-19C7-4A0A-8BCB-E813C541F655.jpeg (133.64 KiB) Viewed 3098 times

We had a riff on a favourite brunch dish from a local restaurant this morning. Baked eggs with hash browns, bacon, beans, spinach, chilli and mozzarella and topped with pea shoots. Except we had to use some of the kids croquettes as no hash browns :D Served with some roasted rebellion tomatoes.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:08 pm

OMCO, that looks lovely, and beautifully presented too!

Here's the recipe https://www.bakewithstork.com/recipe/lemon-tart-192670

I found it because I had a tub of Elmlea double, unfortunately the proper cream opened in the Asda delivery truck and the charming driver spotted it and cleaned everything up as best as he could, without access to fresh water.
He said that it has been happening A LOT since they stopped providing the lid on cream (subject of many of our grouses on here recently :lol: )

Anyway, I looked specifically for lemon tart and Elmlea and found this.

The quantities given are inaccurate - as I'm sure you'd realise quite soon! There's no way 75ml of liquid would be enough unless it was a very, very shallow dish! (They list 150ml in the ingredients and then say use half in the tart and pour half over it. As a normal tub of Elmlea is 284ml I think they just made a mistake.) For my normal 8 inch white ceramic tart dish I use about 300ml + of Elmlea and kefir mixed together. The result is incredibly light. It came about by accident as the first time I made it I had to supplement the cream and used kefir.
Attachments
lemon tart, strawberries.jpg
lemon tart, strawberries.jpg (208.73 KiB) Viewed 3063 times

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm

That looks gorgeous OMCO, I love baked eggs in any form . KC, I love a lemon tart and yours looks really pretty

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:29 pm

A simple dinner tonight.
Stir fried veg, noodles, king prawns.
Better go and get the wok out.

Postby Kacey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Made curry tonight, one with roasted cauliflower, one with onions and peas and a papad/poppadum curry! Have looked at the recipe several times and decided to give it a go today and it was delicious. Plenty of leftovers for the freeze too.

Postby Kacey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:43 pm

deleted duplicated post

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:59 pm

Thanks KC! I’ve bookmarked it for a later date.

5FFD9A9B-97A9-443D-9787-15D6B113473D.jpeg
5FFD9A9B-97A9-443D-9787-15D6B113473D.jpeg (167.05 KiB) Viewed 2998 times

We made the osso bucco Milanese. With beef rather than veal. It was mostly good...the stew was excellent but the risotto not to our taste. I halved the amount of saffron in the risotto recipe and it still tasted a little too soapy. Even with lemon juice, parmesan and gramolata. The girls said they would have preferred it with some crispy potatoes. Anyway, we have some utterly delicious leftover stock/gravy for the freezer for another day.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:37 pm

Waitrose lemon and parsley king prawns are delicious.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:40 pm

I had a piece of smoked cod loin, steamed in the microwave, served with spinach (frozen but carefully seasoned new potatoes and mange tout, Couldn't be bothered to make a sauce so just a little blob of garlic mayo on the pots

The garlic mayo is Stokes, it's lovely mayo like their plain one, but it says aioli on the label, which to me implies strong stuff, but it's very mild, at least for my taste. Not really complaining as it was rtc and it's a good base for adding things to to make dressings

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:42 am

Bit of a mish-mash yesterday, made a risotto in the IP using the Gallo Rustico mixture that has got spelt & barley in it, with chorizo, peppers and tomatoes, plus stock from the Easter goose carcass. Topped with his & hers chicken bits, some brined poached breast for Mrs B and traybake thighs for me. Served with the first colly of the Spring. Rhubarb & orange clafoutis for pud.

I seem to be working my way through the freezer. When the old one was replaced very hurriedly last September there was a lot of stuff I didn't know was in there, but everything got jumbled up when put in the new one. I've made a point of using up some of this but I still visited markets in the autumn and bought food for a family Christmas so with only two of us there hasn't been a huge need to buy any more this year. We have a stir fry every ten days or so, using a bag of beansprouts in each supermarket delivery. Usually we have prawns with it, this week I unearthed a bag of scallops and some Golden Sweet mangetout plus the last sprue from the PSB. :yum

Postby liketocook » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 am

:wave everyone,
I don't often post on this thread but as this was delicious thought it worth sharing.
Jamie Oliver's "Gnocchi and Pea gratin" https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/por ... rk-fillet/ only 5 ingredients (gnocchi, peas, milk, cheese and black pepper) and you use some of the gnocchi blended with the milk to make the sauce. I wasn't convinced it was going to work as, despite some vigorous blending, the uncooked mix was very lumpy but once brought to the boil and simmered it was beautifully smooth.
Lots of leftovers as it made loads. :yum

gratin.jpeg

Postby WolfGirl » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 pm

Everyone’s photos look lovely. Some great inspiration there.

Last night we had a very slow cooked chunky chilli. OH had rice with his but I had cauliflower rice with mine. I haven’t cooked it for ages but there was loads so half has gone in the freezer to be enjoyed at a later date.

Tonight I have some chicken breasts which I bought already in a ginger and lime marinade. I’ll probably make a stir fry with odds and ends of vegetables and noodles then serve with some green beans.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 pm

Suelle's yoghurt flatbread filled with cold lamb, hm chilli sauce and a bit of lettuce and onion for crunch.
Maybe a couple of wedges.

Ooh,,,, kebab and chips.
I'm dead classy you know.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:41 pm

Liketocook I saw Jamie make that on his current tv program and thought it looked interesting, I’ll definitely make it, yours looks delicious.

Dinner tonight was a very speedy pasta meal consisting of M&S prawn, tomato, garlic and chilli mezzalune with a quick sauce of tomatoes cooked in salted butter with black pepper and some basil.

Wolfgirl you have reminded me that we have a tub of chunky chilli in the freezer so I’ve just taken that out for tomorrow night. I will stick some jacket potatoes in the oven and we’ll have it with sour cream and chives.

Lots of our classes have restarted this week so I could do with some simple dinners this week. A body conditioning class on a frozen tennis court at 7am this morning nearly broke me :lol:

Postby liketocook » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:10 pm

OMCO, I definitely recommend and confirm it reheats well. :)

Liver, bacon and mash for dinner tonight (Hairy Bikers recipe). I'm making most of my son being away and cooking things he's not so keen on.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox