Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:46 pm

Picnic lunch in the garden of nachos topped with melted cheese, jalapeños, coriander and spring onions plus hm salsa, olives, cherry tomatoes and salami.

Dinner was gnocchi with tomato and red pepper sauce, feta, spinach and a bit of shredded leftover rosemary and garlic lamb.

Postby Binky » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 pm

I did my Wednesday night lasagne again. We have bought a couple of bar stools for the kitchen so that I don't have to stand and stir, so hopefully I will be able to do a few more meals in the foreseeable future.

Lasagne with foccacia bread.....and several glasses of Pinot Grigio.

Postby smitch » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:33 pm

Binky, I hope you don’t mind me posting this but have you spoken to your local community occupational therapy team? There may also be a Macmillan OT in your area.

They may be able to provide you with a height adjustable perching stool for you to use in the kitchen and will be able to assess if any other equipment would be beneficial to you.

Your lasagna looks fab!

Postby Pampy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:40 pm

I have a perching stool and use it all the time in the kitchen - it really helps.

Smitch - hope you don't mind me asking - are you back with us again? I do hope so - I've missed your contributions. Hope you and your furries are keeping well. :newhuggy

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:08 am

Been a while since I dropped in here - always good things cooking and good ideas for inspiration.

I see you've been at the scallops again KC2 :D I bought some frozen ones recently and looking for an intreresting angle for them. Sauce vierge looks very good as does the lemon tart. What recipe do you favour? Ditto beanburgers - or have I asked that before :?

Must be lasagna season Binky. Yours looks very good.

I made a large lasagna batch yesterday, veggie no meat, for the freezer mainly to use up a very large tub of ricotta. Did the homemade lasagna pasta thing and made vats of bechamel and tomato sauce, spinach and courgettes. Quite a production but always enjoyed later - homemade convenience food. One large and one small pyrex dishes worth.

Today, chicken fajitas with pibil seasoning, guacamole and mayacoba beans. Still enamoured with achiote/annatto marinades. A great spice. Need to order more.

Lushness, you're on a roll :)

Think I might feel a curry coming on KDKA ... or perhaps onion bhajis

OMCO - very nice meal sequence there. Your gnocchi combo sounds really excellent. Haven't made gnocchi for a while - might be time.

I have half a bunch of asparagus that needs using, halves of a red and green pepper, and those leftover mayacoba beans ...

I also bought some tempeh that I'm looking forward to doing something with. Any suggestions welcome.

Smitch, you have been missed.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:37 am

I cooked some rose coco beans with a bundle of flavourings earlier in the week and made some rice and peas, some of which I ate with an avocado salad, you have to cook your own beans to make the rice properly so you get the strongly flavoured stock to make it with

I had some leftover beans so I made a version of the burnt aubergine chilli, I say a version as I had to change the flavourings to suit my dodgy plate, and it contains whole green lentils which I like to pre-soak if I have time and remember, it cuts down the cooking time of course, makes it much easier to judge how much liquid to put in the stew and my own impression is that they stay whole and don’t shed their skins if soaked. Was very nice.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Binky, the lasagne looks lovely! It's one of those dishes I always enjoy eating once it's there, but find it very boring to cook and assemble. I don't make many white/bechamel/cheese sauces and it always feels like a bit of a production :oops:

AZ, yes, indeed, we OD'd on scallops last time, finishing off a whole packet between us, I think it was 7 or 8 each.

Will post links to the recipes - it was a Waitrose scallop recipe from years ago and a recipe DS sent me from the US for the black bean burgers.

Avocado and prosciutto sarnies for lunch, with fresh (no-knead) bread.

Not sure what we'll have tonight. The fridge is now full again after yesterday's delivery ....

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:20 pm

I cooked some rose coco beans with a bundle of flavourings

They have to be my favourite bean, Sue!
They must also be the bean with the most names in the culinary world. I´ve heard them called cranberry beans, borlotti beans, crabeye beans, Roman beans; even in Spanish they´ve got different names - cargamanto in Colombia and fallón in Venezuela!

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:50 pm

AZ, here are the recipes:

https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/r ... ierge.html

and

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/85452 ... e-burgers/

As ever, we changed both slightly this week to accommodate what we had/ didn't have!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Are they identical to borlotti beans? I'm never sure - certainly some ranges sell both as separate products

Round here they are generally sold as rose coco or crabeye beans

Ah Wiki says they are the same, but pinto beans are different, that makes sense
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranberry_bean

If anyone wants borlotti beans I therefore suggest they buy rose coco as they are half the price in my local shops

Postby Amyw » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 pm

Bit of a boring one but very spring like . Salmon , crushed new potatoes , asparagus and tomatoes all roasted on the same tray with a squeeze of lemon and some garlic

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Lovely, looks great, what a super idea putting it all in together :thumbsup :yum Did you do them all for the same length of time, or add bits and pieces at different times?

We had stirfried spring greens with carrot, shallot, ginger and garlic with the usual sesame oil, chilli sauce, soy etc and udon noodles.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Binky, your lasagne looks lovely but the foccacia looks really wonderful! I believe all your bread is made at home - very tempting!

GD caught sight of a packet of prawns in my freezer and declared them another of her favourite foods. We decided to make a creamy risotto for supper along the lines of the one we made with smoked haddock following ltc's recipe. Madam took one look at the result and said she hated rice with 'sauce' and thought we were just having rice and veg with prawns :evil:. She had happily eaten the smoked haddock one a few weeks ago. She ended up with prawns picked out, salad veg plus some avocado and a couple of cream crackers. I've got a helping of the lovely risotto left for tomorrow.

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:15 am

Earthmaiden, ours is not to reason why... although GD was happy in the end so mission accomplished, no mean feat ;)

Today was veg quiche for lunch, rather uninspiring. Tea was much better being whole sea bream with sugar snaps, cherry toms and sliced new potatoes crisped on top. I made a dessert of madeira cake slice topped with a bit of Kahlua, mocha custard and whipped cream. That's going to be breakfast as no room left.

The lasagne vibe is catching so that's tomorrow's plan. I find my veg ones a bit lacking in deliciousness but can't figure out why if the veg and the sauce taste good. Is there a secret?

Re kitchen stools, I've been thinking for ages that one of those over-bed or chair tables would be handy. There used to be simple lightweight tubular steel collapsible ones for a few quid and now they cost a fortune, presumably weight-load stability or something.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am

Thanks KC2. Like the look of those.

Love all in ones, Amy. Nice plate of. Not boring.

Liking beans lately. Supper was aforementioned lasagna by request. Beans on the side topped with crispy sizzled sage leaves and crispy torn proscuitto.

I find veg lasagna needs extra concentated flavours - bold tomato sauce - almost-caramelised onions, wine, salt and black pepper and herbs and a dollop of tomato puree. I like to sizzle the veg and drive off the water, whatever they are, sometimes add lemon and garlic and the bechamel comes alive with bay leaves and a garlic clove or two while cooking and a good grate of nutmeg plus black pepper. Two filling layers, both with ricotta, one with added mozzarella and mozzarella on bechamel on top and a nice long bake.

Have a kabocha squash that needs using sometime soon. They keep for ages but not forever.

Postby Kacey » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:39 am

I love a veggie lasagne, for a long time this was one of my favourite's https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... lled-pasta I've made many variations and enjoyed them all.

Since getting Ottolenghi's Flavour though, the spicy mushroom lasagne can't be beaten. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/n ... li-lasagne

The traybake ragu also works as a good base for lasagne without the spice, and it makes a great veggie shepherds pie too.

I find that one quantity of ragu will make a very generous lasagne, shepherds pie and leaves enough to put a tub into the freezer.

Postby Kacey » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:41 am

Speaking of beans, I'm doing a veggie version of this for tea tomorrow https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... outh_email

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:46 am

I made a veggie lasagne using Nigella’s vega pan spag bol, worked well (other than using some Napolina pasta sheets that were so thin they didn’t make proper layers)

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:49 pm

What a coincidence: I made a veggie lasagna last week to use up some ricotta. I mixed the ricotta with cooked spinach and seasoned it with s&p, nothing else. The other layer was peeled aubergine, garlic, red peppers and just a touch of tomato paste. Nice contrast to the rather "simple" ricotta layer.

Postby Amyw » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:21 pm

Yes Keen Cook , everything went in the pan at the same time . Trying to stay on the healthy eating bandwagon so looking for quick, healthy meals when I’m busy.

It fascinates me how sometimes we can all cook the same thing over a short period of time . Something must be in the air :bounce: . I really like a veggie lasagna and similar to a vegetable curry , they seem to go down well with meat eaters too pretty much .

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox