Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:11 am

That looks de-veeen, OMCO!! :D
We´re struggling with boredom/lockdown/isolation... call it what you will. Anyway, I made a baked pasta yesterday. NO, NO,NO it was not Mac & Cheese, nor was it a lasagna. :gonzo
I had half a packet of conchiglie ( pasta shells), which I mixed up with cream, more cream, extra cream, bacon, peas and a bit of garlic. I sprinkled it with parmesan and bunged it in the oven.
Could have done with a bit more cream... :gonzo :gonzo

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 am

That also sounds delicious KKA ... You can't have too much cream. It's a good job I keep forgetting to buy any :roll: :oops:

Postby WolfGirl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 pm

OMCO, that looks so tasty.

We’re back to more normal offerings this week. Last night I made a frittata with bacon, leek, peas and goats cheese. I had the leftovers for lunch.
I retrieved some chicken legs from the freezer so I shall roast those later, probably with a marinade of piri piri along with potato wedges and salad.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:23 pm

Venison sausages, baked potato and leeks in mustard (or maybe cheese) sauce.
Currently arguing.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Made something for lunch I haven’t made in 20+ years (eaten quite a few) - bean burgers
Just a simple chuck it all in version, making 3 x 100g burgers from a can of kidney beans

Back in the repertoire

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Definitely get lockdown blah weeks KDKA! As restaurants are either not open or out of the question, when I get the mojo I cook dishes I'd order out. Fuschia Dunlop's def good for that OMCO! :D

Leftover tuna was penne puttanesca last night.

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:08 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Made something for lunch I haven’t made in 20+ years (eaten quite a few) - bean burgers
Just a simple chuck it all in version, making 3 x 100g burgers from a can of kidney beans

Back in the repertoire

Any chance of the recipe, Sue? I've been wanting to have a go at bean burgers but there are so many recipes out there, I don't know which to choose. A t&t recipe would be great.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:06 am

That's a beautiful pasta dish, Zero. I must do more with (tinned) tuna other than a topping on baked potato.
I love your bowl plates too.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:31 am

Thangs, Gill.

We've been getting fresh tuna and swordfish which are quite well priced at the moment. Not cheap but not eye watering either. Tinned tuna - apart from tuna egg mayonnaise which I love - can be easy to forget about and appears in quite a lot of southern Italian pasta sauces, along with anchovies, capers, olives, lemons - all those Mediterranean ingredients that boost the soul! Are we all still getting thru our pandemic stockpiles? All my crockery (with a few exceptions) is dead plain white - important piece of advice from a great friend of my mother's, a designer, when I first moved out of home to London - food always looks good and everything always matches :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:47 am

That's very true about the white!
Although my J Lewis dinner plates have lost their shine from the dishwasher, and cutlery squawks on it.
They need replacing.

Glad to hear you can stock up nicely on the fish.
We now have a fishmongers, that has a minimum stock of spanish deli produce too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 am

Pampy wrote:Any chance of the recipe, Sue? I've been wanting to have a go at bean burgers but there are so many recipes out there, I don't know which to choose. A t&t recipe would be great.

There wasn’t really a recipe, I looked at a few and I looked at the burgers in the shop but they all contained cumin which I can’t eat. So all measurements were approximate, I made it up as I went along

I chopped half a red onion small and fried until it softened, then added garlic, a bit of chopped celery and a grated carrot, I then added a splas of water as I wanted the veg cooked and I thought they were catching. I drained a can of kidney beans, mashed them unevenly using the Bamix and mixed with the veg. I added hot smoked paprika, salt and a touch of dried basil and two teaspoons of gram flour as a binder. I then mixed in dried breadcrumbs (not a lot) until it made a soft dough. I left it in the fridge to stiffen (should have left it longer) then divided it into burgers and fried one on a thin film of oil on a non-stick pan. Yum

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks Sue - sounds lovely and I've amazingly got all the ingredients!

Postby liketocook » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:04 am

Some lovely looking and sounding food being cooked :yum
No real cooking for me this week due to having a new heating system installed so exciting things like tinned ravioli mixed with spinach & peas featured. All back to rights now thankfully.
Friday night favourite here of "posh" fish fingers stuffed in wraps with salad and tartare sauce will make a few wedges to go with it.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:45 am

I made this last night:

IMG_7146.JPG
IMG_7146.JPG (173.95 KiB) Viewed 2788 times

(edit: it's farinata.)

Maybe a tad undercooked. (My oven is becoming a bit erractic.) But it was very nice.

This is what it was supposed to look like:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... -asparagus
Last edited by herbidacious on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:30 pm

That looks great, Herbi!
I had some red beans left over from a chile con carne, so I made a N Indian dish called rajma. And then I made an Aloo Ghobi ( potatoes and cauliflower) to go with it.
I hauled a few papadums out of the fridge and had myself a feast!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:24 pm

Ooooh, yum, Herbi, looks really delicious!

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:35 pm

Do tell about the rajma, KDKA. Spill the beans por favor :lol:

Was the pizza good, Herbidacious?

Pork sirloin chops - needing to get thru freezer stuff - braised with wine, porcini and melange ail d'ours (wild garlic seasoning) with boiled potatoes and a mound of asparagus in garlic butter. Spring is here.

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:44 pm

Herbi what a beautiful and colourful dish , definitely Insta worthy

Postby herbidacious » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:23 pm

Thanks, Amy :)

It's a good advert for vegan food (gluten free too... if you can get hold of GF baking powder.) I admit I put a bit of feta on it when I warmed it up, but not sure it enhanced it as much as I thought it would. I think it's something you could play around with the flavours of quite a bit.
And now I know what to do with my massive bag of gram flour.

Postby liketocook » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:06 pm

That looks gorgeous herbi :yum
Cold buffet yesterday of glazed ham, coronation chicken and lots of different salad for our first family garden gathering in a long time. :D
Leftover salads for lunch today.
Pizza tonight using a flatbread recipe for the dough, topped with ham, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and red onion.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox