Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:22 am

I have to say our cottage pie with red cabbage was delicious.

Postby Pampy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:53 am

Tonight, I made a dish that I last did in about 1975 and forgotten how nice it was - supremes de volaille st. sylvestre - a posh name for what is chicken supremes in a shallot, red wine and stock sauce thickened with butter. Served it with parmentier potatoes and steamed veg.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 am

We have tried various fillings but always come back to this one!

We have a favourite BNS stuffing, too. Mix the roasted flesh with Stilton & walnuts, refill the shell & pop back in the oven to melt the cheese.

I've got two pots of black garlic, never remember to use them.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:48 pm

Ooooh that sounds amazing BM, I’m trying that one next time.

We had raspberry muffins this morning and have decided to get a Thai take away this evening.

OH picked up another pack of Pished Fish salmon from the deli. This one is the raspberry vodka and blueberry version. I’m looking forward to trying it tomorrow.

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:52 pm

OMCO, I’ve never thought about putting Parmesan on top of padron peppers. I have both in the fridge so looks like we will be trying that over the weekend.

Fillets of sea bass last night, on a bed of cannellini bean, spinach, tomatoey stew. Then I had some grapes. Then I decided more grapes would be lovely with a nice ripe Brie. Oh, and a glass or two of wine. :oops:

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:20 pm

As we can't do stuffed BNS with the half squash we have left, I'm going to make the caramelised BNS with za'atar tonight: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/f ... achio-cake

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:24 pm

Kedgeree tonight, aux Hairy Bikers.
(Is "aux" correct in this context, "a la" just seemed silly)

Postby Binky » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:14 pm

We're having the Rose Elliott vegetarian cottage pie tonight. Lots of lovely cheesy mash on top, and served with broccoli.

OH has made two pies, one for freezing and eating at a later date (not too late as this is a favourite of mine).

Postby Binky » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 pm

Thought it was broccoli tonight, but I'm not the chef in our house. Turns out to be buttered spring greens

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:30 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:As we can't do stuffed BNS with the half squash we have left, I'm going to make the caramelised BNS with za'atar tonight: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/f ... achio-cake

Update to say it was delicious. I have no idea why she suggested this way to roast the veg: "For the butternut squash, if the oven is still on, increase the temperature to 220C/gas mark 8); or preheat the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, toss together the butternut squash, onion wedges, olive oil, salt and pepper, and spread on the baking sheet."

Maybe she just doesn't like cleaning baking trays, but I just roasted the squash and onions in the normal way without any paper ...

We'll definitely be having it again. The pitta bread took a bit longer than 15 mins to crisp up.
Attachments
Caramelised BNS with fatteh and za'atar.jpg
Caramelised BNS with fatteh and za'atar.jpg (44.37 KiB) Viewed 7589 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:03 pm

That sounds very good indeed.

Since I've had my silicon mat (a Sainsbury's substitute when I'd asked for baking parchment) I've gradually started using it for lining baking trays for almost everything. Great for veg or meat as even things that stick a bit come away easily and it is so easy to clean compared to a tin. I can see the merit in using parchment in your recipe - possibly a bit wasteful!

Postby WolfGirl » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:31 pm

Last night we had the Thai beef salad again. I had radishes that needed using up and it’s quite economical as we only use one steak between the two of us. Very tasty.

I was in the process of making a main course minestrone for tonight’s dinner after an afternoon in the garden, when OH came in and said he wanted to watch the rugby. :evil: Reacting quickly to my facial expression he then offered to mix me a Cosmopolitan which I am now enjoying in another room, sitting here like I was born for this, and waiting patiently for the match to finish. Sorry if I’ve offended rugby fans but I’m a football girl!!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:31 pm

Absolutely loathe the football industry and all it stands for.
Soz... :D

I tolerate rugby.

Fortunately that is J's preferred sport.

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Earthmaiden, this silicone mat you mention. Is it like the silicone pastry mats (for rolling out pastry/filo)? I didn't know that you could use it in the oven but as its silicone, why not?

Postby herbidacious » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:32 am

I don't think I have ever lined a baking tray to roast vegetables. I have started using parchment for heating up bought things that aren't supposed to stick but do e.g. sausages and pastry things.

I had stuffed gnocchi panfried with sage in smoked rapeseed oil, served with a knob of oak smoked garlic butter, lots of black pepper and parmesan shavings.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:21 am

I grilled 2 kgs of tomatoes and 2 kgs of onions on the BBQ yesterday, using mango wood. Today I made smoky tomato chutney!
Since the whole BBQ thing is time-consuming, I thought I´d take advantage of the smoke and the heat, so I also grilled some aubergine, some fennel bulbs, some courgettes and some red & green peppers. They were then finely sliced (rather than diced) and turned into a delicious pasta sauce for lunch today.
Tomorrow, I´m going to use those veggies again, mixed with fresh ricotta (and maybe some broccoli) to make a savoury "Strudel" for lunch.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 pm

Binky wrote:Earthmaiden, this silicone mat you mention. Is it like the silicone pastry mats (for rolling out pastry/filo)? I didn't know that you could use it in the oven but as its silicone, why not?

The one I've got could be used for rolling out but is only the size of a largish baking tray. They are called baking tray liners and places like Lakeland do them. Using this example as the Lakeland one only shows the box it comes in.

https://www.peacewiththewild.co.uk/prod ... gQAvD_BwE#

Those dishes sound lovely KK :yum.

Postby Maud » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:47 pm

Poundland sell baking tin liners too. We have several

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Sounds like a great mix of smokey veg, karadekoolaid. I always forget about fennel so must put it on shopping list.

It surprised me that you burn mango wood. I fancied this mango side table but the weight put me off. I don't know why the top is so plain versus the base, unless the base is root wood maybe:
https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/pdp ... n2687.html

I tried (happily) a new spice for indoor smokey flavouring, being "Wicked: Smoky jalapeno & roasted garlic seasoning" (a Tesco own range):
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... %26w%3D540
Surprised by how potent it is, which should stay as it comes as a mini grinder. Just as well as half a grind does me either sprinkled as a rub or to give a kick to dips.

Postby Pampy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:48 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Binky wrote:They are called baking tray liners and places like Lakeland do them. Using this example as the Lakeland one only shows the box it comes in.

https://www.peacewiththewild.co.uk/prod ... gQAvD_BwE#

If you click on the arrows at the side of the picture on Lakeland, it shows different views of the mat https://www.lakeland.co.uk/5571/Magic-R ... 33-x-100cm

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox